• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moorhens (1 Viewer)

riverfish

Kernow bys vykken!
I took this photo of what is presumably a Moorhen "family" at Slapton Ley last week.

Just wondering if there is a way to tell the male and female apart. To me, they look pretty much identical, but is there a subtle way of distinguishing them from each other?

- David.

Attachments

• Moorhen Family 60%.JPG
    Moorhen Family 60%.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 170
Yes, by measurements. Male on average have longer wings and tarsus (the leg below the knee + toes) than females, but the differences are rather small and not noticeable in the field.
JanJ

Last edited:
JANJ said:
Yes, by measurements. Male on average have longer wings and tarsus (the leg below the knee + toes) than females, but the differences are rather small and not noticeable in the field.
JanJ

Thanks for your response JanJ.

The male bird is surely the one on the left in the picture. Not sure why, but it just looks like a male. Not as scientific as Jan's answer but...

Lucky Birder said:
The male bird is surely the one on the left in the picture. Not sure why, but it just looks like a male. Not as scientific as Jan's answer but...

Interesting comment, you mean that the right bird looks submissive, or demanding?
JanJ

Last edited:
Lucky Birder said:
The right hand bird does look submissive. But the left hand bird looks distinctly dominant and 'masculine'.

Or could it be that the "she" is barking at "him" and "he" is reluctantly submissive?
JanJ

I did take the bird on the left to be the male, no real reason why though! Thought it would sound a bit of a odd comment so didn't mention it at first...

Last edited:
It is kind of odd comments, I just found it interesting to see how we males are thinking, out loud or subconscious. So in fact, I think the right bird has a hearing problem. End of jokes?
JanJ

I never intended to say anything funny and I don't think I'm being sexist as you can't be sexist with birds.

I think this thread should be in Ruffled Feathers.

Well Lucky Birder, not intended to be an accusation at all, couldn´t just help my self, after your comment in #4, in fact I would have had the same thinking, and not consider my self as being sexistic! Thought is was a bit of fun only, and I agree that it doesn´t belong in Bird Identification Q&A. End of story.
JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back