• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Potential ED 50 purchase but uncertain (1 Viewer)

willie45

Hi

I have had my full size Opticron scope for a few years but TBH as I age I find it is, complete with tripod and head, getting a pain ( literally ) to cart around. I'm looking at a Nikon ED50 which were very popular a while back.

I can find these scopes for sale easily but Nikon Eyepieces seem a lot harder to track down. I'm after a 27W but can only find the DS version which isn't really what I want.

The only ones I can readily available seem to be the zooms but the smaller angle of view puts me off. Is there anywhere I can find the eyepiece I'm after or should I look at the DS? I have the idea that it is bulkier than the MC and not as good for viewing.

I mainly watch from the Norfolk reserves or Kent Marshes

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Have you ever thought of an Opticron MM3 ed50 ? With the 24x wide field it is a dream.

Seriously side by side with a Nikon ed 50, you lose absolutely nothing to my eyes.

Thanks for the suggestion. Funnily enough I've been having a look around since my post and the MM3 is emerging as the clear favourite. I wonder if I could use my existing HDF 16-48 eyepiece with it?

I'm glad to hear your endorsement of this scope as it seems to tick all the boxes the Nikon does and then some.

Will look into this further :)

If you have some opticron eyepieces seems a no brainer to go for the MM3...yes,nikon eyepieces are expensive ,not that easy to find and the zooms are not very appealing based on specifications(although excellent optically once in use)..i have found relatively easy to adapt astronomy eyepieces to the ed50 with good results,and very favorable pricing ,but is not an option i can reccomend as an easy solution.
I think i can safely say,although i dont own the opticron scope,that your HDF zoom would work just fine

Thank you. I've ordered the MM3 and have been assured that my current eyepiece will fit it. Thanks for the help |=)|

Last edited:
I ordered an angled ED50 body from Japan that arrived today. I put my unused 50XDS eyepiece on it (27X on the ED50) and I am truly amazed by its performance. I will not be packing my ED82 on vacation any longer!

I have no problem with the DS eyepieces. I know they lack an adjustable eyecup but I wear eyeglasses and appreciate the simplicity. I did buy a 25-75 zoom and it has a wonderful eyecup that I'd probably be very happy with on the 50XDS eyepiece. Note: I use the zoom without eyeglasses.

The ED50 image at 27X, in daylight, is as good as it gets. My ED82 is brighter at dusk/dawn but the little ED50 really shines during the day. Color, contrast, and edge sharpness are superb. CA control...I don't see any CA in the image. I'll do a bit of astro viewing tonight and post my thoughts tomorrow.

The ED50 image at 27X, in daylight, is as good as it gets. My ED82 is brighter at dusk/dawn but the little ED50 really shines during the day.

I have to agree with this.....I recently was able to score a 27x MC eyepiece for my ED50. I had it out with my ED82(30xMC) and was going back and forth for some time. At one point I was looking through the scope and was thinking to myself damn don't know it anything can come close to the image in this ED82.
Then I pulled my eye away from the scope only to see I was actually looking thought the ED50:eek!:
The view really is great even my GF was commenting on how sharp and wide the view looked. Had to damn near pry her away from the scope the other day when we where viewing a Red Tailed Hawk on a hike.

I ordered an angled ED50 body from Japan that arrived today. I put my unused 50XDS eyepiece on it (27X on the ED50) and I am truly amazed by its performance. I will not be packing my ED82 on vacation any longer!

I have no problem with the DS eyepieces. I know they lack an adjustable eyecup but I wear eyeglasses and appreciate the simplicity. I did buy a 25-75 zoom and it has a wonderful eyecup that I'd probably be very happy with on the 50XDS eyepiece. Note: I use the zoom without eyeglasses.

The ED50 image at 27X, in daylight, is as good as it gets. My ED82 is brighter at dusk/dawn but the little ED50 really shines during the day. Color, contrast, and edge sharpness are superb. CA control...I don't see any CA in the image. I'll do a bit of astro viewing tonight and post my thoughts tomorrow.

Followup...

I can find nothing wrong with the scope. A basic star test displayed no problems AND I can't find a thing wrong in the view, even at 40X. The lack of CA infringement is wonderful.

I tried several lenses on the ED50.
75X DS (40X on ED50) short(er) eye relief. Won't use on ED50.
50X DS (27X on ED50) Excellent FOV, sharpness, etc. Recommended fixed mag option.
30X DS (16X on ED50) Not a lot of magnification but a real joy to use on star fields. I will use it when I just want to roam the skies.

25x-75x MCII zoom (13X-40X on ED50). Ok, eye relief is too short for eyeglass comfort but it works AND I can use it without eyeglasses. Sharp as a tack throughout magnification. The quality and versatility of this zoom lens was a real surprise and my wife (the new owner) has chosen to keep it on the (her) scope.

I'm attaching a photo illustrating how to remedy the "I can't find my target" problem. A piece of white tape solved the problem.

Enjoy. B :)

Last edited:
Followup...

I can find nothing wrong with the scope. A basic star test displayed no problems AND I can't find a thing wrong in the view, even at 40X. The lack of CA infringement is wonderful.

I tried several lenses on the ED50.
75X DS (40X on ED50) short(er) eye relief. Won't use on ED50.
50X DS (27X on ED50) Excellent FOV, sharpness, etc. Recommended fixed mag option.
30X DS (16X on ED50) Not a lot of magnification but a real joy to use on star fields. I will use it when I just want to roam the skies.

25x-75x MCII zoom (13X-40X on ED50). Ok, eye relief is too short for eyeglass comfort but it works AND I can use it without eyeglasses. Sharp as a tack throughout magnification. The quality and versatility of this zoom lens was a real surprise and my wife (the new owner) has chosen to keep it on the (her) scope.

I'm attaching a photo illustrating how to remedy the "I can't find my target" problem. A piece of white tape solved the problem.

Enjoy. B :)

I will never get rid of my Nikon 50ED straight spotter, I agree with everything you say about the little scope!!:t: 27x:t:

I'm attaching a photo illustrating how to remedy the "I can't find my target" problem. A piece of white tape solved the problem

A cable tie would even solve it better!

Agreed to all above, the ED50 is a great scope. I use the 27x MC wide mostly. The 16x DS wide is even better, if distances are not so high, e.g. in clearings in forest or so.

A cable tie would even solve it better!

Agreed to all above, the ED50 is a great scope. I use the 27x MC wide mostly. The 16x DS wide is even better, if distances are not so high, e.g. in clearings in forest or so.
The white tape proved very effective with my wife who had enormous difficulty finding a target. White tape also works in the dark. In any case, it's a great little scope. Edge sharpness is amazingly good.

edit...
Just reread Kimmo's cable tie setup...I completely forgot about it!

Last edited:
Here's a description of setting it up correctly, kindly posted previously on this forum with a couple of sketches to clarify the instructions.

I'm using this as well. The advantage is that if the cable tie is moved accidentally on transport, readjusting it is a piece of cake.

Andrea

Here's a description of setting it up correctly, kindly posted previously on this forum with a couple of sketches to clarify the instructions.

I'm using this as well. The advantage is that if the cable tie is moved accidentally on transport, readjusting it is a piece of cake.

Andrea
Thanks for the reminder! I edited my post.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back