• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7-inch tablets (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
If specifically considering this size of tablets, which one is the best? it must be able to run apps such as Sibley Eguide, and it should also be able to be operated from the Caribbean as that is where I live.

Niels

You can't go wrong with the iPad Mini, particularly if prepared to wait for the retina version rumored to be in the works. I own most of the North American birding apps, all of which display beautifully on my full-sized iPad3.

Last edited:
I need to purchase by mid March ...

You might have a look at the current non-retina version in that case. The screen isn't at all bad and probably compares quite favorably with any of the android screens.

Last edited:
I tried a Google Nexus 7 and wasn't too impressed so ended up buying a Samsung Tab 2 instead. It is a decent little tablet which performs very well for the money - the screen is fine and it runs well. However I then tried the iPad mini, the screen is much better and it is much easier to type on also the touchscreen is more responsive. I tested the same apps on both the Samsung and iPad mini and they seem to run a bit faster on the iPad the platform seems much more stable too, I hardly ever have apps crash on the iPad but it was a regular thing on the Samsung. Needless to say I ended up selling the Samsung and getting an iPad mini instead.

Having compared the mini to the iPad 3 I would say that although the screen res is lower on the mini it is still very good. The mini seems to run as swiftly as he full size one and is very useable one handed. Also the slightly larger screen on the iPad mini (compared to the 7" android tablets) makes it much nicer when web surfing.

There's talk of iPad mini retina display coming in March, from personal experiences I'd go the iPad route as been said it's a more stable system than android.

I'd go the iPad route as been said it's a more stable system than android.

I googled that, but couldn't find any evidence. Only a study suggesting the contrary!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomiogeron/2012/02/02/does-ios-crash-more-than-android-a-data-dive/

However, that was a google search lol.

I would suggest that both are probably pretty reliable, and it would be pretty difficult to make your decision based on someone's perceived unreliability of the system they don't currently own.

Are you going to buy one, and regret not buying the other? probably not

Hi Niels. YouTube can throw up some decent comparisons. Might be worth a trawl. There are several comparisons that put the Nexus ahead of the I-pad mini.

Rich

Had ipad 1 and preformed better than my Motorola xoom some of the apps on the xoom kept shutting down the browser was slow

Also, you can add / change sd cards with most android device. Am I right in saying with apples you are limited to the amount of storage you buy built in. I was put off apple products as the file transfer seemed to rely on itunes as opposed to simply drag and drop. This may be different now

There was something about not being able to watch youtube on an ipad too? They may have got round that by now. I know it put me off one at the time

Hi Peter. I believe you are right with regard to storage. You can use I-cloud to get around it though. I've got a 32gb I-pad.

Seems sufficient so far though some of the games can take up quite a bit of space. YouTube works fine on the I-pad.

Rich
There was something about not being able to watch youtube on an ipad too? They may have got round that by now. I know it put me off one at the time

Never had any issues with youtube videos, your right about storage mine was the 16gb more than enough for me you do need itunes to sync your files but it make a better job than drag and drop everything is organised for you, for instant I put a thousand music tracks on the iPad with all album art when tried on the Android all album art was missing even on my Android smartphone its a pain and slower to sync than the iPad was issues with external SD card was some of the tracks would not play the full length of the mp3 file they'd just cut off. These where my findings but enough to irratate and stick with the iPad

I think it was an issue with the first ipad. Google owns youtube so it was probably part of some ongoing war at the time!

Check what apps you need in advance, e.g. bird guides. These may well be restricted to one platform or the other, and could drive your decision more than anything else. This is probably better advice than the last line of my post no.7

Have Fun, Don't buy it from Simplyelectronics.com lol
Peter

Thank you all. In addition to this group, one of my friends turns out to have both an ipad mini and the galaxy pad and has had better experiences with the ipad. But I am curious about the size of memomy that it should come with, anyone else have any input about that?

Niels

iPad 16,32,64gb soon to be added is a 128gb I would be more than happy with a 32gb one
Some android ones start at 8gb and cant add extra memory the best 7" android tab is the Nexus 7 16gb and 32gb not expandable

Just bought a 7' Samsung Galaxy Tab 2,for the price terrific.Limited on memory but will buy a sd cart in future.Installed Ibird pro 3,Audubon Birds and Audubon Butterflies.Both Audobon apps keep crashing!The Ibird pro just was updated,works well on my tablet no crashing.Photos and drawings look good .Lots of other apps work good except Facebook,photos don't show up at times?Started using The Ebird Birdlog app.don't like it.Will be purchasing Sibley's soon!

the best 7" android tab is the Nexus 7 16gb and 32gb not expandable

So it is. It's all a battle to get you to commit to their "cloud", and lock all your data into their service. It's beginning to look quite sinister to be honest. Give it a year or two and the products will all be pretty much identical, if they aren't already. But you will only be compatible with one "ecosystem", and paying them monthly to hold your evergrowing mass of data.

http://battellemedia.com/archives/2...loud-commit-conundrum-google-wins-for-now.php

This is a really useful thread for me as I am in the process of deciding which 7" tablet to buy and I can't decide between the Nexus 7 and the I pad mini. I want it mainly for use when travelling abroad so definitely want a 7" rather than a 10" and will use it mainly for email and accessing the internet but I'm unlikely to want to download films. I'm not that computer whizzy so which is easier to use?

Hope you don't mind me going off at a tangent, Niels.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back