• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (1 Viewer)

Little Grebes and Whooper Swans still on the pool, plus another nice addition today - seven Wood Sandpipers (only one previous record on my land - a flock of 21 birds flying over on 28 April 2012).

Also one Great White Egret flying over (becoming annual in recent years) and Sedge Warblers on territory, plus a nice booming Bittern and a Hobby after the trillions of dragonflies emerging today.

84. Great White Egret
85. Wood Sandpiper
86. Sedge Warbler

Little Grebes and Whooper Swans still on the pool, plus another nice addition today - seven Wood Sandpipers (only one previous record on my land - a flock of 21 birds flying over on 28 April 2012).

Also one Great White Egret flying over (becoming annual in recent years) and Sedge Warblers on territory, plus a nice booming Bittern and a Hobby after the trillions of dragonflies emerging today.

84. Great White Egret
85. Wood Sandpiper
86. Sedge Warbler

Hmm, I've only seen one of those seven species here Jos...

Having seen three of these in the village last week, it was no surprise to have flyover yesterday morning:

69 Linnet

before I finally found the time (and health) to sneak down to Annecy for a dirty twitch, my first ever breeding plumaged Isabelline Shrike B :), a beautiful bird which has stayed nearly a week, much to the annoyance of the local Stonechat pair. Another sign that spring is almost turning to summer was the first Honey Buzzard over there too, so they should be back up here before long.:t:

Up at 0500 yesterday for a day out up north and through the bathroom window came the unmistakable sound of a calling male

66 Pheasant

A garden lifer to boot, #79.

Steve

Another one today - heard it sing twice in next door's bushes and then it was gone

67 Lesser Whitethroat

Like yesterday's Pheasant, a garden lifer, #80

Steve

Richard: Send the Griffon to the North!

I made some calculations again and the "Race between Countries" looks like this. Situation at the end of April.

Lithuania: 82
France: 60
UK: 57,7
Portugal: 55
Finland: 51,3
Canada: 43
USA: 38
Ireland: 32 (No new updates in April)

Last Friday evening lots of Hirundines over the garden. (And again at Saturday evening.)

#48. Barn Swallow
#49. House Martin
- Maybe a small surprise: This was a garden lifer!

At the Saturday evening I saw small grayish bird on a appletree. I couldn't see its head, but tail movements revealed species:

#50. Chiffchaff

Sunday morning when geting morning paper:

#51. Willow Warbler - Heard only

At this morning I watch other small grayish bird sing on neighbor's apple tree:

#52. Lesser Whitethroat

At last - a singing

57 : Chiffchaff

There was a singing Common Chiffchaff most of yesterday morning at my place, really surprising - though I have seen one other singing on a similar date (5th May) some years ago. I wonder what it was doing here singing so late, I can only thing its going a long long way north or its a bit "lazy" ;).

Thanks for your note on Whimbrel migration as seen by your friend in Albufeira a week or so ago - it was a surprise at my location but they have been occuring in sizeable flocks at wetland sites, as have Bar-tailed Godwits and Knot which are also typical staging migrants in late April/early May here. Its so nice to see them as we only get smallish numbers at other times...and they're in breeding plumage, that's a treat.

No new species for the year at home the last days and I'm misssing a couple or so that should be around.

26. Sparrowhawk .
I've never seen one before. This male bird decided to land on my grass (which urgently needs cutting) he stayed about 15 minutes . Bird had been flying around very low for about couple hours before that swooping down several times in the small field after my garden and probably in two neighbours gardens also

The floodgates have opened here, new birds daily. Leaves are just starting to peak out too though, so trying to make the most of the better visibility the next week or so.

44 Belted Kingfisher 02 May 2018
45 Blue-headed Vireo 02 May 2018
46 White-throated Sparrow 02 May 2018 Heard only. Seen nearby
47 Black-and-white Warbler 04 May 2018
48 Pine Warbler 04 May 2018
49 Black-throated Green Warbler 04 May 2018
50 Common Merganser 07 May 2018 Flyover
51 Red-tailed Hawk Yard list, 07 May 2018 An upgrade from flyover last year, to landed in the garden
52 Merlin 07 May 2018 Flyover
53 Ovenbird 07 May 2018 Heard only so far.
54 Blackburnian Warbler 07 May 2018
55 Ruby-throated Hummingbird 09 May 2018

Hummingbird arrival this afternoon, after seeing a late leaving Snowy Owl on a birding outing this morning. Ridiculous!

The floodgates have opened here, new birds daily. Leaves are just starting to peak out too though, so trying to make the most of the better visibility the next week or so.

44 Belted Kingfisher 02 May 2018
45 Blue-headed Vireo 02 May 2018
46 White-throated Sparrow 02 May 2018 Heard only. Seen nearby
47 Black-and-white Warbler 04 May 2018
48 Pine Warbler 04 May 2018
49 Black-throated Green Warbler 04 May 2018
50 Common Merganser 07 May 2018 Flyover
51 Red-tailed Hawk Yard list, 07 May 2018 An upgrade from flyover last year, to landed in the garden
52 Merlin 07 May 2018 Flyover
53 Ovenbird 07 May 2018 Heard only so far.
54 Blackburnian Warbler 07 May 2018
55 Ruby-throated Hummingbird 09 May 2018

Hummingbird arrival this afternoon, after seeing a late leaving Snowy Owl on a birding outing this morning. Ridiculous!

A Pied Wagtail on the 4th took me to 55 too, so we are level for now. This will be where you disappear into the distance. Still getting some good garden birds though even if they are the same ones. Had a Barn Owl hunting at 9.30 this morning quickly followed by the Kestrel again.

A Pied Wagtail on the 4th took me to 55 too, so we are level for now. This will be where you disappear into the distance. Still getting some good garden birds though even if they are the same ones. Had a Barn Owl hunting at 9.30 this morning quickly followed by the Kestrel again.

Psst.....Chestnut Sided warbler just came a visiting, unless you had any updates late last night, I've snuck ahead for the first time this year....

(I'd swap Mr. Warbler for a Barn Owl though. Don't tell him that though!)

Psst.....Chestnut Sided warbler just came a visiting, unless you had any updates late last night, I've snuck ahead for the first time this year....

(I'd swap Mr. Warbler for a Barn Owl though. Don't tell him that though!)

Still waiting for the Swifts, saw some at the pool last night though.

Had the first damselfly on the new pond, a male Large Red on Wednesday. Hoping for more soon.

Certainly unprecedented for me on date (never had Spring birds before, and rarely now in the fall), three flyover Yellow Wagtails dropping down into school field behind woodland strip.:eek!: no.66.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back