• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (1 Viewer)

Not quite as good as STE: but

63: Willow Warbler

- just sitting on the telephone wire outside!

Oh I don't know H, having failed to hear nearby spring passage singing males (due to the roaring of the river!) I still need Willow Warbler for the 2018 Garden list!
11 August last year was the first autumn bird so a while to wait yet.....

A treat this morning with a new garden tick sat on the lawn and a more expected autumn seawatching target.

73. Stock Dove
74. Arctic Skua

Now getting into the time of year where a short pre-work seawatch has some prospects and this mornings produced a couple of year ticks.

75. Teal
76. Red-breasted Merganser

Have heard the odd intermittent single “purr” note over the last few weeks, and dismissed as a misinterpretation on my part. However this morning 3-4 single note calls within a circa twenty second period, has me convinced of the error of my “previous” ways...just has to be Turtle Dove! Saw one locally (approx.a mile away a week ago), they used to breed here 60 years ago, no.74.

My latest addition was overdue and to be honest I have heard then already this year from the garden, but only remembered to add to the list when I saw a couple flying over, they mostly stay low over the coastline and out of sight from the garden.

77. Oystercatcher

Have occasionally seen a wandering Hazel Grouse before, but still was a shock and a half - was just admiring a buddleia that I had planted, now a near dozen species of butterfly frequenting its glowing flowers, when a whole load of whirling of wings and up flitted a posse of young Hazel Grouse and mama! perched in birches a while as they all decided what to do, then one by one cruising off towards another patch of birch.

Family of Golden Orioles also nice.

102. Hazel Grouse

Have occasionally seen a wandering Hazel Grouse before, but still was a shock and a half - was just admiring a buddleia that I had planted, now a near dozen species of butterfly frequenting its glowing flowers, when a whole load of whirling of wings and up flitted a posse of young Hazel Grouse and mama! perched in birches a while as they all decided what to do, then one by one cruising off towards another patch of birch.

Family of Golden Orioles also nice.

102. Hazel Grouse

A-a-a-a-h......Golden O.....that's one woodland species that has eluded me so far, perhaps one day? However Jersey Tiger and Goshawk were my highlights for the day and I ain't grumbling.

Had almost double digit Common Terns over so far this year, and although having suspected one of these many years ago (too distant and brief), this mornings was also brief, but much closer, as it went over past one tree into "the gap" before disappearing over the canopy....a garden tick! Sandwich Tern no.75.

Oh dear. I'm really in the doldrums!

Well done, Ken. (Gritted teeth!)

There was a Crane not too distant today - but too distant!

Added a couple over the last fortnight or so, that I assumed I'd had already this year.
73. Mourning Dove (heard only)
74. Common Grackle.

Considering I ended the year on 77 in 2017, I fear the doldrums will be setting in here too! Although any new ones should be nice surprises at least.

Dans les doldrums here too but in a couple of weeks I hopefully will add the first autumn passage species, Willow Warblers and the two common Flycatcher species the most likely.
Till then I’ll just have to put up with counting Vultures 8-P

Oh dear. I'm really in the doldrums!

Well done, Ken. (Gritted teeth!)

........Thanks H!....."real" or "false" ones? :-O

Added a couple over the last fortnight or so, that I assumed I'd had already this year.
73. Mourning Dove (heard only)
74. Common Grackle.

Considering I ended the year on 77 in 2017, I fear the doldrums will be setting in here too! Although any new ones should be nice surprises at least.

We're "neck and neck" Jasper!...methinks you'll pull away. :t:

Dans les doldrums here too but in a couple of weeks I hopefully will add the first autumn passage species, Willow Warblers and the two common Flycatcher species the most likely.

Till then I’ll just have to put up with counting Vultures 8-P

For me they would be "fat-pickins"....I'll "vulture"...I won't be seeing any of those! ;)

Three year birds this morning, the first and third being garden firsts. Also had a flock of probable Knot that would have been garden ticks, but couldn’t nail them.

78. Black-tailed Godwit
79. Dunlin
80. Shoveler

39. White release dove/pigeon.

40. Greater roadrunner. Announced his entrance by attacking my window (probably seeing his reflection and thinking it was prey). This guy (same one maybe?) always comes around during the peak of summer (probably looking for easy pickin's with the just-fledged baby sparrows/finches). Love watching him; looks so prehistoric.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back