• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrade Camera or Glass? (1 Viewer)

John In Ireland

Ireland
I am using a Canon 600D with a 100-400 mk1. I have a choice of upgrading the camera to 80D or upgrading the lens to 100-400 mk2. I am undecided? Any ideas?

Leave the hardware alone and use the money on a vacation to a place where you can use what you have?

Obviously a little tongue in cheek, but why do you want to upgrade at all?

Niels

The lens is usually more important than the camera. Take a look at Ken Rockwell's review of the mk 2, he compares it directly to the mk 1. It sounds like a good upgrade. I'm not familiar with the differences between those two cameras.

The original Canon 100-400mm L IS also has superb optics, but is a push-pull zoom. This new -II lens adds much closer and faster focusing, much better image stabilization and updates to a rotary zoom ring. This II lens has extremely fast autofocus, and it's still fast even with a 1.4x extender.

https://kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/100-400mm-ii.htm

See the "Compared" section in particular.

Marc

Upgrade the lens I have this lens 100-400mm mkii & on the 7dmkii it rocks.I have the 80D also & it does not track anywhere near as good as the 7D mkii.

I had the 100-400 Mk1 for quite a while and really liked it, however my current Mk2 is a significantly better lens. I just wish they could have kept the "Trombone" zoom function.

The upgrade in IQ / AF performance as well as the shorter minimum focus distance is well worth the upgrade to the Mk2 in my experience. I read that the IS is much better but I don't really use IS so cannot comment.

Thank you. Now got the 80D and just ordered the 100-400mk2.

Ha! Upgraded both the camera and the lens in the end.

Great choices though, how are you finding them both? Did the Mk II lens warrant the upgrade? I know the 80D would've been a well-worthy one from your previous camera - great choice there.

[/QUOTE] Great choices though, how are you finding them both? Did the Mk II lens warrant the upgrade? I know the 80D would've been a well-worthy one from your previous camera - great choice there.

Love the 80D. Yes a really good upgrade. Personally I didn't mind the push / pull of the mk1 lens. I found it fast to locate a subject. I also never experienced any dust problems with it. The mk2 is obviously sharper in the right light. So ... the camera definitely worth the upgrade. I really thought the twist zoom of the mk2 would take some getting use to after the push / pull of the mk1 but adapted sooner than I thought. I need to take a lot more photographs to convince myself the mk2 is worth the difference in cash. But happy the moment.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back