• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why does Nikon make the best binoculars in the world? (1 Viewer)

You are asking individuals from all manner of backgrounds what the best pair of binoculars is. What is best for one won't be best for the other. There is no objective measure of best. As I said the question as phrased is trolling with flame bait.

Ok, Roadkill I get your point. It doesn't make sense but I get it.

Gents, you lost this thread for a while because it was going from ridiculous to absurd with a few complaints. So please either stay on the topic or just stop posting and it will drop away.

I was the lead pilot on the last two space shuttle missions. I have been told that I bear a striking resemblance to Tom Cruise

Wrong. It wasn't fizzling until you dead-ended it with your old airplane pictures. That stuff is boring. Eeegad! Dry. Gimme some water! Are you a pilot? You kinda of look like Tom Cruise in "Top Gun" with those glasses on.

I've been following this thread for many days now. I've studied all the posts very carefully and considered all the evidence very carefully. While I have not seen the binoculars that the original poster is referring to there is no doubt in my mind that they are the absolute best binoculars in the world. Having come to this conclusion I now consider myself an expert on optics.

Damn and it only took a couple of months.:t:

I probably shouldn't add this as I'm opening myself up to a world of hell but if Nikon and indeed EDG are such a great binocular why are they so rare amongst UK birders?
I know very few people who use Nikon and none using EDGs yet they still manage to see crate-loads of birds. Maybe we just don't need anything that good or maybe they're only the best binoculars if you don't use them for birding.Obviously we have no hunting requirements here in the UK or at least very little.
Feel free to add whichever 'smiley' suits you!!
Russ

I've been following this thread for many days now. I've studied all the posts very carefully and considered all the evidence very carefully. While I have not seen the binoculars that the original poster is referring to there is no doubt in my mind that they are the absolute best binoculars in the world. Having come to this conclusion I now consider myself an expert on optics.

Damn and it only took a couple of months.:t:

And now you are ready to shell out $2,300,000 for them?

Well since I really haven't looked through them ever I figure I can pretend to have them and appreciate the fine optics that way. I'll make my fingers into little circles and look through them all the time remembering Dennis's fine words. That should do the trick.

Well since I really haven't looked through them ever I figure I can pretend to have them and appreciate the fine optics that way. I'll make my fingers into little circles and look through them all the time remembering Dennis's fine words. That should do the trick.

Aaaaah, you've become a binocular-yogi.

Besides yours you mean.;)

Birdwatching.com rates the Swarovski EL and the Zeiss FL and the Leica Ultravid above the EDG. I have personally tried them all and they are all excellent. I had trouble with blackouts with the Leica so it didn't work for me. The Swarovski EL has more CA than the EDG and the edges are not as sharp. The Zeiss FL is the closest to the EDG but it's edges were also softer than the EDG. The big difference I see between these three is the edges and the EDG is the sharpest of the three at the edge. The Nikon also wins on smoothness of focus. The only binocular I have seen that has slightly sharper edges than the EDG is the Swarovision and to me Swarovski almost went too far getting those sharp edges because it created roling ball and IMO and almost unatural look to the field. I think the EDG is a better optical compromise than the Swarovision. It will be really interesting to see which way Zeiss and Swarovski go with their new 8x32's. No doubt they will both be superb binoculars at a super high prices. I would love to see a 450' FOV on either one but it will probably be more like 420' to 440'.

That's Birdwatching.com. They are not very reliable. The only review I trust anymore is Allbinos. It's the only halfway objective review.

Back in December you mentioned Birdwatching.com being a great site for bino reviews and gave a link to their site where in your words "the FL SMOKED the EDG". And back in December Albinos reviews couldn't be taken seriously because they were "obviously biased towards binoculars with a flatter fov".

Hard to believe you can tolerate your EDG's terrible on axis performance since the EDG wasn't even in the same ballpark as the FL and EL when you tested all three side by side a couple of months ago....you really did do that test didn't you?

I think your posts are good for a laugh but I do worry that someone new to the forum might actually take one of your posts seriously--something a regular forum reader would never do.

Steve

Back in December you mentioned Birdwatching.com being a great site for bino reviews and gave a link to their site where in your words "the FL SMOKED the EDG". And back in December Albinos reviews couldn't be taken seriously because they were "obviously biased towards binoculars with a flatter fov".

Hard to believe you can tolerate your EDG's terrible on axis performance since the EDG wasn't even in the same ballpark as the FL and EL when you tested all three side by side a couple of months ago....you really did do that test didn't you?

I think your posts are good for a laugh but I do worry that someone new to the forum might actually take one of your posts seriously--something a regular forum reader would never do.

Steve

That was a 10x42 EDG I tested which I found to perform slightly differently than the 8x32 EDG. I still think the Zeiss FL has a little less CA then the EDG but either is so small as to be non-existant. I compared the 8x32 EDG and the 8x32 FL closely when I owned them and I didn't see much difference in on-axis resolution but the EDG had sharper edges. The EDG worked a little better for me although the Zeiss FL is still excellent and my second favorite binocular.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back