• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm getting a headache! (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I got a new laptop a couple of weeks ago with the ummmm *** Windows 7 on it and am really struggling.

With my old laptop and XP, I used the Nikon Viewer to transfer all my pictures, view them, could do minor edits like cropping and VERY easily copy and re-size a picture (this was done from a right click menu - simples).

Unfortunately, this program does not run on Windows 7. OK I thought, now I've got an Olympus camera I'll try their program. But the hoops I seem to be going through to even find how to re-size the image (and I don't know if that's making a copy or if I have to make a copy first and re-size that) then I seem to need to do something else to re-name it.

Surely I'm missing something. Is there someone out there who can talk me through these basic processes:

Copy and re-size (when the picture doesn't need anything else doing, just uploading to a thread or the Gallery).

Copy an image, crop it, re-size and re-name.

I've been messing about for ages and now don't know what I did to get a copy and re-name one of the pictures and the thought of going through all that again, is making me pull my hair out.

I tried the supplied Windows Live Photo Gallery but there's not a quick way there either, and the hoops I had to go through to get my pictures from the C: drive to the External F: drive was a bit of a nightmare too.

Please help this old technophobic moderator:gh::-C

Picasa is free and will do the basics, I have only used it once on a Windows 7 Netbook when urgently getting wedding photos from a hotel to someone abroad.

To resize you have to export the result to a folder but it seems to be a potential option.

Its now up to Version 3.9 and I used 3.3 but hopefully it is not too different. Just Google Picasa - it is obviously targeted for you to upload images to Google but if you ignore that it seems to be a fairly reasonable, basic, photo editor.

It says that it preserves your original images and allow you to watermark your images if you are concerned about copyright.

As ever practice on something non-valuable.

Which bit of Olympus software were you trying? If it was that thing called IB or whatever you have my sympathies.

Thanks Helen for your input. It seems to be Olympus Master Browse that came with the camera. I had Picassa on my other laptop and, while it was really excellent for straightening horizons, I did find it a bit clumsy and had a few other problems (which was probably me... like losing track of where it put the new 'worked on' image).

Thanks, too, Rob. I'll certainly have a look at this one. I'll let you know how I get on.

you just select the folder and it will create a sub folder called resized in that folder so you have your full size imges and the small ones .
you can also set the size you want i.e 800 x 600 etc.
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back