• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binoculars do you think have the most WOW factor! (1 Viewer)

Pomp

As far as Nikon their HG/Premier roofs, EII, SE, and premium IF porros are still made in Japan. Enclosing a couple of pics, first pic is of some of the pricier stuff in the safe.Second pic is of many Nikon, Canon, and Pentax porros in one of my optics cabinets. You won't find a Chinese binocular in either pic.

Steve

Wow! A pretty impressive assembly.

What on earth is that knife in the first photo?
It looks like a single piece design with a tool fitting integral to the heft.
Is it a bayonet of some kind or what?

Wow! A pretty impressive assembly.

What on earth is that knife in the first photo?
It looks like a single piece design with a tool fitting integral to the heft.
Is it a bayonet of some kind or what?[/QUOTE

It's a hollow handle knife that is fully machined from a single block of D2 tool steel. Custom made by Chris Reeves back when he lived in South Africa. I bought it back in the 80's for around 300.00 and it was a wise purchase. Similar model just sold on ebay a few weeks ago for 1,700.00. I've got over 20 Randal knifes down in the bottom of the safe so even though I've got some nice glass up top the real money so to speak is at the bottom. Boys and their toys.:smoke:

Steve

Pomp

As far as Nikon their HG/Premier roofs, EII, SE, and premium IF porros are still made in Japan. Enclosing a couple of pics, first pic is of some of the pricier stuff in the safe.Second pic is of many Nikon, Canon, and Pentax porros in one of my optics cabinets. You won't find a Chinese binocular in either pic.

Steve
That's looks like a picture before and after 5S.

steve@37n84w;2693992 It's a hollow handle knife that is fully machined from a single block of D2 tool steel. Custom made by Chris Reeves back when he lived in South Africa. Steve[/QUOTE said:
Well, that sure is fine gear!
If you ever see Chris Reeves, tell him his knife has another admirer.
It is a work of art.

Steve

I know my biggest gripe is that I'm more than willing to pay for better quality merchandise but lots of times it just isn't available. If I'm buying new about the only professional quality power tools are some of the industrial grade Makita and Hitachi still made in Japan and Fes tools made in West Germany. Granted they cost over three times what the Chinese made tools do but they are a great bargain because they last for years. We build a lot of large (6,000-10,000sqft) homes and I literally buy my fasteners (nails and sheathing staplers by the ton. The nails/staples arrive on pallets on a flat bed truck and we unload them with my telehandler. I have some nail guns/staplers (made in Japan and Germany) that have shot hundreds of tons of fasteners without missing a beat but the newer Chinese tools often start misfiring after only a few boxes.

I have no problem with manufacturers making an economy line so the guys who watch HGTV can purchase a tool and play weekend contractor; however, the manufacturers are now more concerned about that part of the market and many aren't making the quality tools now. There is a lot more profit in selling twenty mediocre nail guns at 300.00 than one extremely well made one for700.00, especially since the well made tool probably won't even need so much as an o ring for 10 years or more. To me the tool situation is analogous to optics, I'm afraid that in a few years even if you want to buy a quality product it may not even be an option anymore.

Steve

In many ways we are alike. We pay extra for John Deere Machinery. It costs more, uses less fuel, pulls more efficiently, lasts longer, and has better resale value. So far the stuff comes off the line with good parts. It is the replacement parts you get that is (or can be anyway) the pits.

But lets put something in perspective here. Your rant got started by Dennis's rant about Chinese QC. In simple point of fact we are talking about a fault with the eye cup that can be fixed in about a minute with some contact cement. We are talking about a very INEXPENSIVE binocular here. We are not talking about a costly item. For $200 you better expect some corners to be cut. What kind of quality do you think you might get with a German $200 binocular. I know that last is kind of an oxymoron, but nobody will make a fault free QC binocular at $200.

Dennis is acting like the QC fault he says he found is threatening life as we know it on this planet. Dennis was just being predictable, we all knew he would find or invent something to throw that binocular under the bus.

Last edited:
Sorry. I have had a lot of binoculars and I have never had an eyecup fall off EVER much less after two weeks of very little use. My reasoning is if they can't attach an eyecup correctly what else is amiss on these binoculars that will raise it's ugly head 6 months down the road. Let me ask this. Has ANYBODY had an eyecup fall off on their alpha binocular EVER? This makes me lose confidence in these binoculars. If it doesn't bother you buy them. Even at $200.00 the eyecup should not fall off. My Nikon Monarchs were LESS than $200.00 and I had them for three years and the eyecups didn't fall off. I don't care what you say there is a problem with Chinese QC. I don't think the eyecups should just be glued on. I think their should be some kind of mechanical attachment to hold them on.

A large FOV is a good thing to have for several reasons as long as the central image doesn't suffer to much because of it. The main benefit for me, above and beyond the more expansive feel of the image and the ability to find things easier, is the way it keeps CA farther away from the center. I see it as more of a tool for CA management than the other benefits. Just a random thought for what it's worth.

Maybe the FL but not the SVs. Allbinos, for all of their panning of the Zens, gave them a much better CA score than the SV (8.7 vs 7.2), slightly better than the EDG (8.5) and almost as good as the FL (9.2).

Time for new biases? The Zen EDs, in this specific area, are as good as the alphas. I feel sometimes like the cult of the SV is so great that people assume perfection in all areas. I found it quite easy to induce CA on the SV towards the edges just like any other bin I've ever tried (Zen ED included).

I am changing my thinking on FOV. I always thought bigger was better but anymore I am thinking 380 to 400 feet is good enough if you have have a big sweet spot and pretty good edges. I think I would rather have a good quality 400 FOV with less distortion than a 450 FOV with a lot of field curvature and poor edges. Think Nikon SE or Opticron HR WP porro's.

I am changing my thinking on FOV. I always thought bigger was better but anymore I am thinking 380 to 400 feet is good enough if you have have a big sweet spot and pretty good edges. I think I would rather have a good quality 400 FOV with less distortion than a 450 FOV with a lot of field curvature and poor edges. Think Nikon SE or Opticron HR WP porro's.

Upper 300 lower 400 has always worked for me.

The more minimal the distortion and the sharper the edges... the better; my preferences.

CG

I have one in hand and agree the build quality is unacceptable.

CG

OK, so the build quality is not acceptable. That still leaves QC issues on an inexpensive binocular. That should be accepted as a risk at low price levels. I am not now, nor was I ever, taking up the QC issues. If you have upper level QC needs, buy upper level ;).

My point was that Dennis was being predictable. Just like every other Dennis binocular, the Bresser went from terrific to a pile of junk.

I found a pair of Opticron 8x42 HRWP porro's on Ebay from Ireland for $280.00 shipped and they said new so I bought them and then the guy said he dropped them and broke the objective lens. Can you believe that? Now I am in a dispute trying to get my money back. Oh the joys and risks of Ebay.

Dennis

I think the law of averages just caught up with you. When you're buying two or three binos a week it's just a matter of time until some of the transactions go awry.

Steve

I found a pair of Opticron 8x42 HRWP porro's on Ebay from Ireland for $280.00 shipped and they said new so I bought them and then the guy said he dropped them and broke the objective lens. Can you believe that? Now I am in a dispute trying to get my money back. Oh the joys and risks of Ebay.

PM me details, Dennis. I´ll see can I track the guy down here and have some Bad Dudes with blowtorches go visit him and get all Medieval on his a..e.;)

Dennis

I think the law of averages just caught up with you. When you're buying two or three binos a week it's just a matter of time until some of the transactions go awry.

Steve
This isn't the first time and it won't be the last I am sure. All those Irish want to do is drink and go to the pub. He was probably drunk and dropped them.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back