• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpha Binoculars - Are they worth it ? (1 Viewer)

Here's another analogy for ya, if you can't see the difference get your eyes checked.

If, and then you still don't?

Better yet you just saved yourself some coin!

Been there done that.

Spent thousands of dollars trying to convince myself it didn't matter.

It seems any more that people want to diss you for spending the money, when before you were hammered for not spending the money?

Don't try and convince me that a middle of the range optic is as good as the best.

It isn't going to happen, I can attest to that.

If it floats your boat, then fine just don't try to convince the masses that its gossiple.

Bryce...

Another thread where people that cannot see the differences must think that everyone see's [or doesn't] the same as them.

Roundy round we go.....

Bryce, I think you just channeled me. Did you feel strange at any point ? :king:3:):-O

Here's another analogy for ya, if you can't see the difference get your eyes checked.

If, and then you still don't?

Better yet you just saved yourself some coin!

Been there done that.

Spent thousands of dollars trying to convince myself it didn't matter.

It seems any more that people want to diss you for spending the money, when before you were hammered for not spending the money?

Don't try and convince me that a middle of the range optic is as good as the best.

It isn't going to happen, I can attest to that.

If it floats your boat, then fine just don't try to convince the masses that its gossiple.

Bryce...

In a couple of years see how much of your $2200 you get back if you sell the Sharp. ;) You need to look at the latest LG oled 4k sets anyway.:-O

Just noticed 80" SHARP LED TV is on sale for $2200. For the price of "alpha", I can buy an 80" TV and an almost alpha binoculars, still with some changes left in the pocket.

Another thread where people that cannot see the differences must think that everyone see's [or doesn't] the same as them.

Roundy round we go.....

James:

I suppose some of us do need to keep this thread going. I have
some binoculars at several different levels, from the Nikon Aculon to
the Leupold Yosemite, at the lower end and have mentioned them as good choices.

I also have some Alpha binoculars, and yes, there is a difference. ;)

Right now, I do like the Zeiss Conquest HD, they are impressive,
in the sub alpha class.
For those watching, you could get one of these, and you could just
call it good. ;)

Jerry

I would guess that most Rolls owners say yes, but the mid tier Mercedes are only 1% less good. Hell, a ford is about as good.:-O

And there is the crux with alpha binocs. No different, for some they are, for some they arent. Being able to afford it doessnt enter into the equation.

I was actually being sarcastic, I haven't driven a Rolls or Mercedes. I could be correct in my statement, but I really doubt it.

And there is the crux with alpha binocs. No different, for some they are, for some they arent. Being able to afford it doessnt enter into the equation.

I was actually being sarcastic, I haven't driven a Rolls or Mercedes. I could be correct in my statement, but I really doubt it.

So a bottom line Rolls is worth the $220,000 more than a top of the line Acura?

Enough so that if you had the money in your hand you would buy a Rolls?

A Rolls Royce is different when you are talking about $200K for a car. A LOT of people can't afford a Rolls Royce but a LOT of people CAN afford $1500 to $2000 for the best set of binoculars made. Why mess around with a Conquest or a Zenray when for another measly $500 to $1000 you can have an Swarovski SV if you look on Ebay. I have gotten rid of ALL my mid-priced binoculars. I have the SV 8x32 and the CL 8x30 and that is it and I use them all the time and enjoy them immensely. An alpha binocular is a bargain compared to say alpha telescopes. I used to have some low end and mid-range binoculars that I would use when I didn't want to take my top guns with me and then I would think why I am I messing around with this stuff when I have the SV's sitting at home. Not anymore. I have the SV's where ever I go so I now I have the best view available.

A Rolls Royce is different when you are talking about $200K for a car. A LOT of people can't afford a Rolls Royce but a LOT of people CAN afford $1500 to $2000 for the best set of binoculars made. Why mess around with a Conquest or a Zenray when for another measly $500 to $1000 you can have an Swarovski SV if you look on Ebay. I have gotten rid of ALL my mid-priced binoculars. I have the SV 8x32 and the CL 8x30 and that is it and I use them all the time and enjoy them immensely. An alpha binocular is a bargain compared to say alpha telescopes. I used to have some low end and mid-range binoculars that I would use when I didn't want to take my top guns with me and then I would think why I am I messing around with this stuff when I have the SV's sitting at home. Not anymore. I have the SV's where ever I go so I now I have the best view available.

I'm guessing here, but maybe because they arent that important to me.

I've never driven either one, and I don't have that kind of money, so I can't say. I like my 2007 Lucerne though,and for all I know it might be as good as a Rolls. But, I would say probably not.:-O

So a bottom line Rolls is worth the $220,000 more than a top of the line Acura?

Enough so that if you had the money in your hand you would buy a Rolls?

I've never driven either one, and I don't have that kind of money, so I can't say. I like my 2007 Lucerne though,and for all I know it might be as good as a Rolls. But, I would say probably not.:-O

Because it's not a priority. I aint slammin anyone who wants an alpha, it just aint for me. All our priorities are different, in 04 I had a new truck, a new SUV and a new motorcycle. The scoot cost more than any of the cars. To me the bike was apriority, cars and trucks were just a way to move me from point A to point B.

Now If I pumped and dumped glass like denco I would probably be worried about resale value, but I dont pump and dump anything. I buy what I like, and I use it until it's all used up. I dont mind spending on the "best" but I need to feel I will use it enough to justify it. When I bought a DSLR back in 06 I bought an XTi/EOS400. I felt like it would do what I wanted, I could have bought a EOS30 or 40D, I had the money, was no big deal to have done it. But I didnt feel like it was the best use of my money at the time, and I am glad I didnt because I have about 4500 shots on it where I have surpassed 10,000 on my little S90. I dont impulse buy, and hardly ever sell anything

Last edited:
I've been told by a couple of serious, veteran birders at least once to 'buy good bins, and an excellent scope.' I'd definitely agree with a previous post that the difference between Alpha and others is far more obvious in scopes than bins.

I've been told by a couple of serious, veteran birders at least once to 'buy good bins, and an excellent scope.' I'd definitely agree with a previous post that the difference between Alpha and others is far more obvious in scopes than bins.
That is true. I think the optical imperfections are more obvious the higher your magnification. Astronomical telescopes are the same way probably worse.

This is good advice because scopes are used with tripods while binoculars mostly are not. The stable view offered by a good tripod allows us to see the differences between better and worse scopes readily. Of course, better does not necessarily mean "alpha" brand, but a scope with low aberrations, which can also be a "beta" if you are lucky.

"Good" binoculars are good enough for most users simply because they are used in conjunction with an image quality deterioration filter called your arms and hands, which effectively induce a sway and tremor to the image that prevents you from seeing the differences between better and worse optics all that easily.

Kimmo

this thread measures what members think, or think strongly, about their binoculars

I wonder what they actually do, ie what binoculars do the members have

% alphas?

% mid level?

% lower level?

my guess is the numbers would be divided
fairly equally with the three classes

have we ever had a survey

???

Last edited:
this thread measures what members think, or think strongly, about their binoculars

I wonder what they actually do, ie what binoculars do the members have

% alphas?

% mid level?

% lower level?

my guess is the numbers would be divided
fairly equally with the three classes

have we ever had a survey

???

Current list, been a few gone to family members.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8X42

Zen Prime HD 8X42

Minox BD 9.5X42 IF

Leupold Yosemite 6X30

Bushnell Natureview 8X42

Nikon sprint 8X21

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back