Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon FF (and DX) Mirrorless rumours/ announcements

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 18th February 2020, 02:06   #351
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Question

I still think it's a very strange (and rather typically CaNikONY) for Nikon not to offer a fully functioning vertical battery grip for the D780. If anyone is going to need such functionality surely it's wedding, and event photographers/ videographers ..... ??

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 18th February 2020, 02:36   #352
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Exclamation Nikon: "We are at a transitional stage"

https://m.dpreview.com/interviews/67...sitional-stage

So Nikon to have an each way bet .... DSLR and Mirrorless. They will continue to develop both systems, but surely the pace of DSLR development and market range cannot continue at the same pace and levels as before.

To be fair to Nikon, one of the main factors that Nikon flagged at the outset of this process was that the transition to Mirrorless would depend on their ability to offer an EVF that matches and supercedes the OVF experience, along with comparable AF performance. They're not even offering the best EVF tech that the industry has to supply at this stage - maybe in the high resolution Z8 ? and it seems that D6 will be their AF king for now ....

As with the above post this is leading to some strange feature sets and market segment hobbling and pricing.

Have they never heard of 'bird photographers' though? They still seem rather clueless on the direction for DX ..... pegging it as 'entry level' .... and where on earth is that 600mm f5.6 PF lens !?!

I think (and really hope) that Nikon springs a 26MP D500S on us (the same way that the D5 twinned with the D500S nearly ~4 years ago) , adding all the new D6 AF goodies along with D780 hybrid style video capability. This will buy them essential time to work out how to combine a state of the art EVF with cutting edge AF performance in a 'Pro' level DX Mirrorless in a smaller (but still ergonomically suited to long lenses) body at the same price point without stepping on any other Nikon's market niche pricing ....... phew !

Chosun

Old Tuesday 18th February 2020, 02:46   #353
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Upcoming Z6/Z7 firmware updates

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/02/16/t...ry-cards.aspx/

Adding improved AF and more CFe card support.

Still think they'll need that D500S to buy them time with the DX Pro AF though ......

Chosun

Old Tuesday 18th February 2020, 03:42   #354
marcsantacurz

From NikonRumors:
subject-tracking AF enabled in photo mode has been changed to more closely resemble that of the 3D-tracking option for digital SLR cameras.
Thank heavens! I need to download this and try it. I really disliked the original subject tracking UX.
Old Wednesday 19th February 2020, 05:54   #355
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow Nikon Z6/Z7 firmware 3.0 and Z50 firmware 1.10 released

https://m.dpreview.com/news/21005474...te-for-the-z50

Some wins, but some frustrations will probably remain - eg.

"face and eye detection do not work when using subject-tracking mode. The latter was our major complaint as we tested the major firmware update that brought eye detection to the Z-series, and it's unfortunate this limitation still persists, especially when you consider that face detection works well in conjunction with 3D-tracking on the company's recent DSLRs."

Another report from Petapixel with some video of the functions as well .....
https://petapixel.com/2020/02/18/nik...F0erySRBrgAgUQ

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Wednesday 19th February 2020 at 06:31. Reason: Petapixel link

Old Sunday 23rd February 2020, 01:23   #356
marcsantacurz

I got out today for the first time with the Z7 and v3 firmware. I can say that tracking is much improved, especially the user interface. In auto area mode, you still need to press OK to enable tracking mode, but then it starts/stops tracking based on the AF-ON (or 1/2 press shutter release). When you let go, it resets to the idle tracking mode waiting for the next shutter / af-on press. This is much more usable than the prior scheme on the Z series.

I was shooting in DX mode and the tracking box is pretty big. I did not try in in FX mode. I think this is the same size as it was prior, just saying it's a pretty big box in DX mode.

I still need to process the photos, but from looking at them on the monitor, looks perfectly fine. I was only shooting a soaring hawk and some snowy egrets on the beach, so I do not know how well it does it action or erratic motion.

Marc
Old Thursday 19th March 2020, 14:21   #357
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Nikon Is Rumored To Introduce More Fast F/1.2 Z Mirrorless Prime Lenses

There is a handy Roadmap chart here (as of Jan 2020) detailing the lenses due out to the end of 2021 ..... well at least that was the timeframe until the COVID-19 impacts really took off and can be predicted to increase.

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/03/11/n...e-lenses.aspx/

We can see from this that Nikon still regards the APS-C range (currently just the Z50) as decidedly entry level/consumer. No wide-angle zoom listed for DX, and really couldn't we have had the 18-140 be a 16-140 ?? (real wide angle fun starts at 24mm eq.)

We can also see that the superzoom 200-600 is a consumer level lens which is almost certainly f6.3 max. aperture based on the size of the silhouette shown. Both bad misses imho - a lightweight f5.6 and 'S' line image quality would have been awesome.

Perhaps we might infer that the loooooong overdue (against expectations) PF 600 f5.6 may finally put in an appearance .....

Likewise, nothing in that lens line up says Professional DX. Nikon still wants to funnel you into FX. Given that, how about a D500S Pro DX flagship to get the D6's new improved AF capabilities

One thing you have to give Nikon kudos for though is the excellent range of f1.8 Mirrorless 'S' line lenses. A real win.

With the hi-res? Canon R5 development announcement already made, and that 'Pro' level FF due around the middle of the year, it is more important than ever for Nikon to bring it's own Pro FF 61MP Z8 to market.

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Thursday 19th March 2020 at 22:36. Reason: lol - removed split personality ! :D

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: