Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

INDIGENOUS Communities ARE Better At Preserving Biodiversity, Research Shows

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.25 average.
Old Friday 25th October 2019, 11:38   #51
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Wink A picture tells a 1000 words ......

With the closing of the Uluru climb to tourists, these pictures give a unique indigenous perspective

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...cus_composer=0

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 25th October 2019, 13:57   #52
andyadcock

As usual, the anti colonial theme continues and moves increasingly away from conservation.

It wouldn't be the first of threads to be removed to RF which is where it now belongs IMHO.
Old Friday 25th October 2019, 15:27   #53
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
As usual, the anti colonial theme continues and moves increasingly away from conservation.

..... IMHO.
I disagree entirely. "anti colonial theme" is purely your interpretation and I wonder if it says more about your mindset than it does any of the content of this thread?

I thought the drawing I last posted perfectly illustrated one of the points of the thread - that of a philosophical and worldview difference leading to different management actions and societal organization. What are your thoughts on that? What did you think of the photo showing the track worn into Uluru by umpteen footprints 'conquering' the summit?

I quite like your avatar picture of the Shoebill, but I find your opinion uninformed. Right from your very first post in this thread you have displayed a lack of understanding, and I have to wonder if you have actually read through any of the informative material posted as links in this thread. Joost was even kind enough to post the original research paper in full for us. I do not understand why you seem so resistant to any learnings from the material presented.

People that are part of the land <-> Land that is part of the people.
The health of one determines the health of the other.

I have to ask - how are conservation efforts working out worldwide? Effective? Making progress? Halting the inevitable slide? Really, how is it going? Pass mark?
Give it a score out of ten.
What about space junk? What's the philosophy behind that?

I am happy to hear all points of view, but if you don't want to engage constructively, or learn anything new, then kindly leave the thread to those who do. Thanks.

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Friday 25th October 2019 at 15:45.

Old Friday 25th October 2019, 15:30   #54
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Angry An Indian mining conglomerate is eating up a sacred forest grove

https://qz.com/india/1729021/an-adan...Wk14FMhznSYhY0

Chosun

Old Friday 25th October 2019, 15:56   #55
PYRTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
What did you think of the photo showing the track worn into Uluru by umpteen footprints 'conquering' the summit?
Just to comment on one question you posed CJ. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of similar examples of human erosion tracks on natural formations, throughout the world. England has some such as in the Yorkshire Dales where a huge footfall occurs for the same reasons I guess....stunning view, exercise, "conquering" a wish or ambition, perhaps a lifetime dream. However, it is open for everyone though degradation is evident. It is a National Park. Inhabitants who never left their village, lie buried in the church cemeteries.
As a boy over 50 years ago I saw photos of Uluru and thoughts of seeing it, visiting Australia were fired. Sadly, never made it that far.

So, my thoughts and subsequent question, is it (Uluru) different and singularly exclusive to other similar sacred places from your perspective?

Another question arises. Would this move have occurred if it wasn't classed as an UNESCO World Heritage Site?

I dont have the answers, just keep finding more questions?

P
Old Friday 25th October 2019, 16:19   #56
PYRTLE

Was this post typical and representative of the communities? I hope not.

Marcia Langton*

@marcialangton

·

Oct 24

A curse will fall on all of them. They will remember how they defiled this sacred place until they die & history will record their contempt for Aboriginal culture
Old Sunday 27th October 2019, 14:52   #57
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Pyrtle, people loving places of natural beauty to death has long been a problem the world over, and I think that thin end of the wedge applies everywhere too. All places are sacred ( you never know whose head you might be walking on ! :) , though I suspect whether they are viewed as such is a matter of perspective.

As far as any UNESCO World Heritage Listing goes, I'm not sure it's worth a cracker. For example the Blue Mountains National Park on the edge of Sydney will now be subject to impacts from a 24/7 International airport at Badgery's Creek which the Government (all, and both sides) has approved. This is despite the final flight paths not having been designed in detail yet. This sitiation is complete and utter bs, yet it doesn't end there. There is also a proposal to raise the Warragamba Dam wall by some 14m which will flood vast tracts of riparian flats (with threatened Cabbage Gum communities) well back into the National Park. These are also a critical resource for the threatened Regent Honeyeater. Again complete and utter bs. The supposed reason is water security for the city - but the real reason is to facilitate thousands of new residential blocks on the floodplain. Another move that can only be made by mental giants in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

So herein lays the crux of the problem. First world country, UNESCO World Heritage Areas, supposedly robust Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation laws - and the whole thing is not worth a cracker .........

The rape of this country is out of control. I shudder to think what an updated bird survey over the Murray-Darling Basin would show now if the previous work showed a 70% decline, and that was before the devastating drought of the last 2 years and ongoing 'criminal' water diversions and extractions of both surface and ground water. I also shudder to think what the coming predicted hot dry summer will bring on top of millions of fish deaths last summer (including century old cod). Could an area the size of France and Germany become an extinction wasteland?

To this add mining impacts in WA, and QLD (threatening groundwater and wetland spring systems of a Great Barrier Reef catchment), along with fracking in the NT.

It is against this environmental catastrophe and ongoing issues of justice and Sovereignty that Aboriginal people view events in the country. The acknowledgement of the Anangu tribe's wishes not to climb Uluru is therefore seen as a small step in the right direction.

Professor Marcia Langton is well respected, has been immersed in Indigenous issues for decades and usually quite measured in what she says and how it is expressed - though she is a straight shooter.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcia_Langton

I believe the comment you quoted was in response to the surge in visitors seeking to climb Uluru before it closed - particularly in the last day or two. They do seem unusually forthright - I don't know the entire exact context, but I suppose decades of frustration could lead to something like that.

Over the years there has been a widespread 'return' of rocks etc that tourists from all over the world have 'souvenired' when they find they are plagued by 'bad luck'. Literally "lessons from stone" as per the link I posted in post#39 https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/...kxegUeczMig-lU

Chosun

Old Wednesday 30th October 2019, 09:32   #58
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Lightbulb

Prytle, interesting article on Rapa Nui (Easter Island) - some hypotheses attempting to explain the mysteries, modern day tourism impact, and universal lessons learned.
https://www.history101.com/orig/the-...I9GIlqqPfQRMEw

I remember as a kid watching re-runs of a show on Tele called "Mysteries of the Unexplained" or something like that - narrated by Leonard Nimoy (not sure if Carl Sagan also used to pop up too) - I remember being fascinated by all things mysterious including the 'Heads' of Easter Island ......
[EDIT] It was a series called "In Search of" I always remember being transfixed by Leonard Nimoy's voice
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kj8Y2sFB6Y0
...... brings back memories of watching this with my Dad and him letting me look through his books on The World's Mysteries, and The Dreamtime .....

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Wednesday 30th October 2019 at 11:25. Reason: In Search of !

Old Tuesday 5th November 2019, 13:08   #59
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Lightbulb Mindset ....

", hurt her and we hurt ourselves, "

Chosun

Old Tuesday 5th November 2019, 14:46   #60
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up "It Is Our Very Governments That Are Killing The Earth"

Wisdom from Indigenous South Americans and their observations on Climate that the destruction of the forest has wrought .....
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...88551467951802

Chosun

Old Wednesday 4th December 2019, 03:23   #61
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Angry It's ......

Arrrgh ! When are we going to get it?!

It's NOT the climate ...... it's Soylent Green

IT'S PEOPLE !!

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...NbW_LyjP8sn_G4

Chosun

Old Wednesday 4th December 2019, 06:07   #62
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Exclamation Caring for Country should be a sustainability and green design priority

"Instead of asking how to house tens of thousands more people in Western Sydney, in light of rising temperatures and land depletion, we should be asking if more people should be living there."

https://www.thefifthestate.com.au/in...j527CYYn8TLe4M

Chosun

Old Saturday 25th January 2020, 04:35   #63
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up The Value of Indigenous Wisdom in Protecting the Environment

https://mygobe.com/explore/value-ind...NiKADns1kfoQh8

Chosun

Old Sunday 26th January 2020, 05:02   #64
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Angry The colonial logic behind Australia Day is a worldwide concern

https://medium.com/@amymcquire/the-c...rkfC6UfnfcLDNc

Chosun

Old Sunday 26th January 2020, 07:41   #65
andyadcock

When are the mods going to move this thread to RF?
Old Sunday 26th January 2020, 12:25   #66
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
When are the mods going to move this thread to RF?
Why should this be going to RF?

It's not about any kind of personal vitriol, but Chosun highlighting conservation issues (albeit with some kind of historical racial slant at times and in her own particular style).

Have to admit I broadly agree with the majority of the issues highlighted and their causes. Western society and capitalist values are screwing the planet. Doesn't really matter that if it wasn't the 'western ideals' it would have quite probably been some other culture which did so at some point.

This thread may be a bit Aussie-centric, but that is kind of implicit.

Last edited by dantheman : Sunday 26th January 2020 at 12:28.
Old Sunday 26th January 2020, 23:59   #67
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Arrow

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Why should this be going to RF?

It's not about any kind of personal vitriol, but Chosun highlighting conservation issues ....

Have to admit I broadly agree with the majority of the issues highlighted and their causes. Western society and capitalist values are screwing the planet. Doesn't really matter that if it wasn't the 'western ideals' it would have quite probably been some other culture which did so at some point ....
Thanks DTM - that's exactly the point.

At this present time this particular country is drained of water, dug up, and on fire .... all for profit. This is despite being a 'first-world' country, desite having a green and environmental movement pretty much as good as any other in the world, despite having environmental protection laws that are better than those in the majority of the world, and despite being governed by a so-called 'democratic' system and rule of law. Why?

It's like cutting off all your digits and limbs one by one and selling them for the profit of today ..... hardly a long term strategy for prosperous sustainable survival .....

Andy .... if you have something on topic to contribute then please do so - otherwise quit trolling my threads.

Chosun

Old Monday 27th January 2020, 23:51   #68
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Exclamation The Rapid Decline Of The Natural World Is A Crisis Even Bigger Than Climate Change

https://m.huffingtonpost.com.au/entr...j7RZ5QQq_m_K9A

"A three-year UN-backed study from the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform On Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services has grim implications for the future of humanity."

" Nature is in freefall and the planet’s support systems are so stretched that we face widespread species extinctions ...."

"The felling of forests, the over-exploitation of seas and soils, and the pollution of air and water are together driving the living world to the brink,"

"... tens of thousands of species are at high risk of extinction, how countries are using nature at a rate that far exceeds its ability to renew itself,

""We are at a crossroads. The historic and current degradation and destruction of nature undermine human well-being for current and countless future generations,” ..... “Land degradation, biodiversity loss and climate change are three different faces of the same central challenge: the increasingly dangerous impact of our choices on the health of our natural environment.”

"Indigenous communities often know best how to conserve nature ...."
“What surprised me the most about this study was that it became clear that the older cultures, like the indigenous peoples of the Americas, have different values which protect nature better [than Western societies],”"

"Ultimately, Watson concludes that saving nature will require a major rethink of how we live and how we think about nature,"

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Tuesday 28th January 2020 at 00:21. Reason: quotes ..... my em.phas.is

Old Thursday 30th January 2020, 11:58   #69
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Settler nations have failed as care-takers of nature. It's time for a new approach.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/202...TpYUEMZVMGbzNA

Chosun

Old Sunday 2nd February 2020, 11:09   #70
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Exclamation To address the ecological crisis, Aboriginal peoples must be restored as custodians

https://theconversation.com/to-addre...yLVWEepVmtueE4

"In the wake of devastating bushfires across the country, and with the prospect of losing a billion animals and some entire species, transformational change is required in the way we interact with this land."

"The devastation was caused by the gross mismanagement ...... by those in power – a destruction wrought through greed."

"First Peoples have a relationship with Country that is loving, reciprocal and engaged. This “kincentric” relationship includes custodianship obligations – often lacking within non-Indigenous views of Country. Instead of being seen as kin – something to be cared for, listened to, deeply respected and nurtured – Country is seen by many non-Indigneous people as a resource to be exploited and controlled."

Chosun

Old Monday 3rd February 2020, 14:56   #71
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Lightbulb The Ancient Indigenous Art of Rainmaking

"we have a responsibility to our planet to live in a peaceful way,"

https://upliftconnect.com/ancient-in...4DVCJiDT2qhTuM

Chosun

Old Monday 10th February 2020, 01:44   #72
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up Old wisdom can help us understand water, as well as save us from fire

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/cul...4XZl1M1IiptAM8

Chosun

Old Tuesday 11th February 2020, 22:53   #73
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Question When conservation provides a cover for anti-Indigenous sentiments

Do any of our US correspondents have any context or conservation data to add in relation to these environs, or indeed the push for energy resources by current political forces .... ?

https://www.hcn.org/articles/tribal-...ECTSAy5DEWLh50
"A nation of laws cannot exist on stolen land."

30 million acres of public land in Alaska at risk of being developed or transferred:
https://www.hcn.org/articles/climate...or-transferred

Chosun

Old Wednesday 12th February 2020, 05:35   #74
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up

An altogether different mindset ....
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...composer=false

Chosun

Old Thursday 20th February 2020, 11:59   #75
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Angry Space Junk

Honestly - how the heck is this even a thing ..... ?

https://www.space.com/space-situatio...wOcFhmIk3R8ZU0

Chosun

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: