Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Great Grey Shrike

Old Monday 16th March 2009, 10:21   #1
Howard King
Registered Member

Great Grey Shrike

could people familiar with this species please pass a critical eye on this individual ringed in Bahrain

http://www.hawar-islands.com/blog/gen_stub.php
Old Tuesday 17th March 2009, 17:21   #2
Motmot
Eduardo Amengual

Hi Howard,
Don't know much about racial variation, sorry. The bird looks to be an adult. Compare to this bird 2nd year bird (also yours):

http://www.hawar-islands.com/blog/me...reyshrike1.jpg

The moulted feathers show a quite similar design, head looks darker. Do you have any more pics showing the whole bird and the tail design?
Cheers,
Eduardo
Old Monday 23rd March 2009, 21:07   #3
John Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard King View Post
could people familiar with this species please pass a critical eye on this individual ringed in Bahrain
Try Fred Lohrer at the following addy. He should know somebody who will help you out.
flohrer*at*archbold-station*dot*org
Old Thursday 26th March 2009, 15:34   #4
Howard King
Registered Member

SORRY for the slow response but have been away on the Hawar Islands for the last 10 days - no phones or internet but good birds.

Photos of this bird are in short supply I was not there - the two I have on the web page were taken by Brendan I shall ask him if he has any more
Old Sunday 29th March 2009, 17:21   #5
Howard King
Registered Member

Brendan didn't take any other pics HOWEVER - we did catch another similar individual this Saturday and I have just put up a series of new photographs of that individual on the web page. Our Grey Shrikes have through our queries to both this forum and other web rings generated a lot of interest with some interesting input from a variety of sources. For update see

http://www.hawar-islands.com/blog/gen_stub.php
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: