Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Channel Islands - egret

Old Tuesday 30th March 2004, 12:57   #1
Nightranger
Senior Moment

Channel Islands - egret

Does anyone have an opinion on the recent egret sighting from Guernsey? There is some dispute with the recorder and a resident by all accounts. The recorder is saying little egret but the resident suggests cattle egret. I have seen images of this bird and the argument could be made for either possibility. Any ideas?
Old Tuesday 30th March 2004, 13:27   #2
James
I'm losing it!

These two are not THAT similar that a good short view would not separate them. Was it a flyover or distant sight?

James
Old Tuesday 30th March 2004, 14:10   #3
CJW
Hit-and-run WUM

Sounds like a bizarre discussion. Any chance of posting the photos on here Ian?
Old Tuesday 30th March 2004, 14:41   #4
HH75

Hi Ian,
Presuming that the photographs are better than a white dot in the sky,it should be easy to seperate these two species.I'd be interested in seeing any pics.
Harry
Old Tuesday 30th March 2004, 17:57   #5
Nerine

"Does anyone have an opinion on the recent egret sighting from Guernsey? There is some dispute with the recorder and a resident by all accounts. The recorder is saying little egret but the resident suggests cattle egret. I have seen images of this bird and the argument could be made for either possibility. Any ideas?"

Hi Ian. We had a sighting of Cattle Egret in February. I did not see it but take a look at this Guernseybirding website.

http://www.geocities.com/mplawlorgue...ybirdnews.html

We have many Little Egrets here, the sighting of a Cattle Egret was unusual.

Nerine
Old Tuesday 30th March 2004, 18:20   #6
Bluetail
Senior Moment

Well there's no doubt about that one, at least. And a nice pic of Steve G's favourite bird to go with it!

Jason

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 31st March 2004, 12:12   #7
Nightranger
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hussey
Hi Ian,
Presuming that the photographs are better than a white dot in the sky,it should be easy to seperate these two species.I'd be interested in seeing any pics.
Harry
Unfortunately, the only image I have seen would not be easily rendered for posting here (translation: I do not have the time or the permission ). The image had the general appearance of a little egret but the leg colour of a cattle egret. I think the question has been partly anwered anyway because there WAS a cattle egret and I just wondered about a disingenious claim in this case. After all, the image may not have been taken of the 'claimed' bird. Sadly, it does happen. The problem arose because the Guernsey recorder said the claimed bird was a little egret and my colleague was not so convinced when he saw the image. I was suspicious because the image almost (I am being generous here) had the appearance of being taken under artificial conditions. I am afraid that this infers the resident was aware of the presence of the cattle egret and (perhaps) was making the case for the bird he saw. An interesting debate nonetheless. Thanks guys!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: