Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Visiting Alexandria, Virginia in April 2014...

Old Monday 28th October 2013, 20:10   #1
Andy1979

Visiting Alexandria, Virginia in April 2014...

Hi all,

I will be over for a wedding in late April 2014, staying in Alexandria, Virginia. I will likely have a day or a few hours to get out with my bino's. Can anyone recommend somewhere to go for some good old American birds - ideally warblers.

Cheers,

Andy M.
Old Tuesday 29th October 2013, 18:25   #2
Andy1979

Bump.
Anyone know this part of Virginia?
Old Tuesday 29th October 2013, 20:54   #3
ptickner

First off, let me say that I do NOT know this area. Having said that, since no one else answered, I pulled up eBird, and there is quite a bit of data for there. Using the new Hotspot Explorer, I zoomed in on Alexandria and it looks like there is some good spots. Dyke Marsh, for example, has a list of 237 species, and Huntley Meadows Park shows 240.

Not knowing exactly where you'll be or how mobile you'll be, I'd suggest pulling up the eBird data yourself and having a look. Good luck!
Old Wednesday 30th October 2013, 13:13   #4
Richard Klim
-------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptickner View Post
...Huntley Meadows Park shows 240.
I haven't visited, but this from White 1999 (National Geographic Guide to Birdwatching Sites: Eastern U.S.):
Quote:
Just a few minutes south of the Capital Beltway (I-495), Huntley Meadows Park in Alexandria is one of the most popular birding areas in the greater Washington, D.C., region. Its 1,424 acres and more than 8 miles of trails make a fine respite from the traffic and bustle of the city. As you stroll here at dusk in early spring, you might hear an American Woodcock in display flight with its twittering call and rustling wings. In spring or summer you may flush up a Green Heron or see a family of Hooded Mergansers or King Rails, or in the evening hear the weird "pumping" call of the American Bittern. The park offers a half-mile boardwalk through a wetland area, which often provides excellent looks at marsh birds. In addition, viewing areas, including a two-story observation tower, make it easy to sit and watch in summer for Great Egret and Yellow-crowned Night-Heron or for a migrant Virginia Rail or Sora. Other common nesting birds include Wood Duck, Barred Owl, Belted Kingfisher, Wood Thrush, Ovenbird, Scarlet Tanager, Eastern Towhee, and Song Sparrow.
See also: Birds of Huntley Meadows.
Old Wednesday 30th October 2013, 13:48   #5
Andy1979

Thank you both. Just what I was after - a rough idea as I've only ever been to the States once before and that was Florida in June.

Cheers,

Andy M.
Old Friday 1st November 2013, 00:42   #6
Hamhed

Hi, Andy - I don't know much about Virginia birding but that state has a birding forum you can join:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mdbirding

Likewise, you can contact Virginia birders through Birding Pal:
http://www.birdingpal.org/va.htm
There are a couple right in Alexandria.

I hope that helps and you find some Warblers.

Steve

BF Supporter 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: