Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Do any birds migrate from eastern US to western US?

Old Friday 4th April 2014, 03:12   #1
drewvenile

Do any birds migrate from eastern US to western US?

Hello, this might seem like a strange question but I wanted to know if there are any birds that specifically migrate from eastern united states to western united states? It is a long distance so I wasn't sure if any birds make the long commute or what.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge!
Old Friday 4th April 2014, 13:07   #2
Larry Lade
Super Moderator

I do not think there are any bird migrations in either direction (east to west or visa versa). However it seems each year there are western birds found in the east and eastern birds found to the west. Those birds being rare/accidental/etc.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 4th April 2014, 14:24   #3
Zheljko

I think I read that western populations of Bobolink fly eastward and then south for migration, as they were originally eastern birds and gradually moved westward. I am not sure if it was Bobolink.
For Europe, Carpodacus erythrinus flies first eastward and then southward.
Old Friday 4th April 2014, 15:43   #4
LabradorDuck

The "eastern" population of Tundra Swans actually extends all the way west to Alaska; these birds move diagonally to the southeast to winter on the East Coast, along with birds from further east that flew more directly south. Consequently, they move in large numbers through the Dakotas and the Great Lakes area but are quite rare in Nebraska. I believe Greater Scaup follows a similar pattern (both also have part of the population that goes straight south to the West Coast).

Western Sandpipers breed *only* at the western edge of Alaska and winter on all North American coasts, so the birds in e.g. North Carolina have traveled a long distance to the east.

There's a hypothesis that some individual birds can have their sense of direction off by 90 degrees, causing them to go east instead of south. This is proposed to explain some of the western species that occasionally turn up on the East Coast, though we don't know for sure.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: