• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's the best canon lens and camera for say BIF on a pelagic (1 Viewer)

Steven Astley

Your on a boat at sea, a pelagic (think that's the right word they say?) trying to photo birds in flight what's the best lens and camera by Canon for this? Money not really being issue (even though at this moment in time I'm skint and a mature student lol)

Not done this myself but my thoughts...........

Normally I prefer primes but you can't really predict what range your subjects are going to be at so I think the Canon 100-400 Mk2 would be the way to go.

As to cameras? My choice would be (is) a 1 DX Mk1 or 2 simply because of their AF performance and my 1DX plays VERY nicely with my 100-400 Mk2. A cheaper alternative is the 7D2 which I find very good for it's price, however the AF is not as good (still good but not 1 series) and it needs better light to get the most out of it. On the other hand it is a lot lighter and cheaper so must be considered.

Happy hunting!

So much would depend on sea conditions, what species you are trying to photograph and how close to the boat they are.The 1DX2 and a 100-400Mk2 makes a very good lightweight combination and the flexibility of the zoom is a big plus but if the subject is close enough the 70-200 f2.8 is faster to AF. The 500mm and 600mm f4's are perfect in good conditions for more distant subjects but in a rocking boat and a big swell the field of view makes finding and keeping on the subject much harder.
In decent light perhaps a 7D2 with a 300mm f2.8 might be a great combination, I have had both but never quite grew to love the 7D2 and the 300mm is a bit short for most occasions with a full frame body so I sold it.
Never tried one but perhaps the new lightweight 400mmf2.8 MK3 with a 1DX2 might be the perfect solution but you would be paying over £17k if you purchased them new in the UK right now.

Canon Pelagic BIFs

Generally, I'd say that you would seldom use a 100-400mm zoom on a pelagic at less than the maximum400mm - so why not save weight and use a 400mm f 5.6 instead ?

An "Albatross Encounter" at Kaikoura, New Zealand would be an obvious exception to usual pelagic conditions. The birds are big and close.

We did the Atlantic Odyssey this spring and I used the 1Dx MK2 and a 500mm f.4 and 1.4 converter. Even then, a lot of shots are big crops...

https://johnjemi.blogspot.com/2018/06/atlantic-odyssey-2018-part-1.html

Some blokes on the "AO" had 600mm f4s, with and without converters: - a big ship makes a firm base. I could see the advantage of a lighter combination if you're pitching around a lot on a smaller boat, or in a Zodiac.

WHATEVER the lens/camera combo, have a good waterproof cover !

Believe me, when you have Gannets diving in to the water within a few feet of the boat you need a shorter length than 400mm. I always pack my 24-105 just in case we get lucky with a pod of dolphins too.
Photographing Flying Fish from a cruise ship I wished I had a 600mm plus TC.

I've been on my fair share of pelagics, sometimes in some quite scary conditions too. Of the many Canon bodies I've used the 1DX2 performs the best but then again you would scratch your head if it didn't! I've had many good images using the 7D2 as well but the keeper rate is a lot lower.

There is a bit of scope with the lenses as sometimes action can be almost within touching distance.

I found the bare 500f4 mk2 really good but a bit too big for a full session of handholding, also it can be cumbersome to use where space is not at a premium

The lenses of my choice and the two that I'll be taking on next years trips are the 300 f2.8 which is outstanding as a bare lens or with either convertor on. Running it very close is the 100-400 mk2 which is also effective with a 1.4 convertor on.

Mike.

I do most on my pelagic birding out of Hatteras, NC. Over the years I have tried a few different Canon setups (400 f4 DO, 100-400, 400mm f5.6 and 300mm f4). I like using a prime lens on the boat. I would pick the 400mm f5.6 if it were weather sealed as the best lens. I often find myself using the 300mm f4; having IS doesn't hurt on a rocking boat either.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back