• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK wild bird population increases (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk

BBC News Web Site

UK wild bird population increases

Bird populations are a good indicator of the state of wildlife

The wild bird population in the UK is on the increase, according to the latest government statistics.

The figure for all 113 breeding bird species is nearly 10% higher than it was in 1970 following a series of rises since the early 1990s.

The farmland bird population is about 60% of its 1970 value, and woodland bird numbers about 10% lower.

However, seabirds are up about 30% and UK wintering wetland bird numbers have more than doubled since 1974.

Range of habitats

The population index for farmland birds has remained fairly stable since the early 1990s.

The most severe decline in woodland birds took place in the late 1980s and early 1990s, but the index has shown a 6% increase since 2002.

"It is vital that predicted cuts in agri-environment funding are avoided"

Dr Mark Avery
RSPB

There has been little change on average in breeding seabird populations in the past 20 years, but some populations have decreased substantially in size while others have increased.

The wetland bird figure has been relatively stable over the last 10 years.

Bird populations are considered to give a good indication of the state of wildlife and the countryside.

They occupy a wide range of habitats and tend to be near the top of the food chain, and a lot of detail on bird populations has been collected.

Species recovered

Two new species, the razorbill and black guillemot, have been included in the statistics for the first time.

There have been major increases in numbers of wood pigeon, jackdaw, avocet and woodlark.

Large increases in some upland and wetland species such as buzzard and gadwall have been balanced by severe declines in others such as curlew and sedge warbler.

Species such as grey wagtail have recovered from previously low numbers.

Dr Mark Avery, director of conservation for bird protection charity the RSPB, said: "The long-term decline in farmland bird populations has clearly slowed.

"However, if we are to see the government meet its own target to stop the loss of farmland birds, then it is vital that predicted cuts in agri-environment funding are avoided otherwise there is a real risk that the government will fail to deliver on its commitment."

The figures have been released by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).

This has to be good news but personally, I get the feeling that overall, the total number of birds in the UK is lower now than in recent years. I am talking here of the total number of bodies, not species numbers. Having said that, I have no data to back up my feelings but it is just that there appears to be fewer birds around these days and that it is hard work finding some of them - at least in my neck of the woods in Gloucestershire.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back