Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Returning to birding

Old Monday 1st September 2003, 09:06   #1
hornet

Returning to birding

Hello from someone who knows even less about Internet forums than he does about 'little brown jobs'.

I'm not at all sure what I'm doing, but I'm confident you will all forgive me a few beginner's errors (birding and computing). I've been browsing the site for a few weeks and it seems like a friendly place.

Actually, beginner might not be the right word for my birding. I'm a returner really. I was keen as a child (YOC member etc) and then I got distracted for 25-odd years. My loss.

I got hooked again on a chance visit to Minsmere at the start of this year and now, here I am.

Because I caught the birding bug there, I have huge affection for Minsmere and East Anglia. However, it can be a bit of a long haul for a day's birding. So I'm always interested in advice on places to go in Warwickshire and the West Midlands (especially locally in South Warwickshire).

BF Supporter 2004 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 1st September 2003, 09:17   #2
birdman
Орнитолог-любитель

Hi hornet,

On behalf of Admin and all the Moderators, WELCOME to BirdForum - and welcome back to birding.

You have found just the right place to help you get back onto your birding feet.

This place is full of birders of all nationalities, all abilities and all levels of "seriousness".

You're bound to fit in.

All mistakes, birding or computer, will be forgiven, so please join in as much as you can, and enjoy!

Old Monday 1st September 2003, 09:20   #3
steve_nova

Hi hornet, welcome to bird forum. I think birdman has said it all
Old Monday 1st September 2003, 09:58   #4
Geraldine
Martian Member

Hi hornet,
Minsmere did it for me, too.
And the red Kites in mid-Wales!

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.
Old Monday 1st September 2003, 09:59   #5
andythomas

Hi Hornet,

There's a few ideas on places to go birding in Warwickshire and the West Midlands on my website. Just click on the www button at the bottom of this post.

--
Andy
Old Monday 1st September 2003, 10:30   #6
Red_Kite

Hi hornet, a very warm welcome from me! I'm sure you will find all the help you need here - welcome back to birding! =)

----------------
''I called up my friend the good angel, but she's out with her ansaphone''.
Old Monday 1st September 2003, 12:48   #7
Elizabeth Bigg
Addicted member

Hello Hornet - another welcome message! I was introduced to "The Birdwatcher's Yearbook" last year, and found it is a mine of information re:all things birding. It describes itself as "A complete reference work for all birdwatchers" - it might be worth a look.
Old Monday 1st September 2003, 16:29   #8
hornet

Thanks for the welcome folks. The Midlands Birding website is fantastic Andy. I've been to Brandon a lot this summer which has been great. I now look forward to visiting some of the other venues.

Thanks for the 'heads-up' to The Birdwatcher's Yearbook, Elizabeth. I'll start looking for it straight away.

By the way, I envy the red kite watchers in Wales. I only ever get to see them while doing 80mph on the M40. Not the best time for a proper look! Such elegant birds.

And if you've ever enoyed birding in The Gambia, you might be interested in our Gambian nursery school and healthcare charity, The African Oyster Trust - www.africanoystertrust.co.uk

Last edited by hornet : Monday 1st September 2003 at 19:02.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 1st September 2003, 17:08   #9
Elizabeth Bigg
Addicted member

Hello again hornet - we stayed in a hotel quite near Gigrin Farm a few years ago - I could drink my tea in bed in the morning, and watch the red kites.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: