• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi. Lexington, SC, USA (1 Viewer)

Charlie Spencer

United States
Hi, hello, etc.

Smilie test: |:d|

Icon test too, since I'm unfamiliar with those.

Can I paste an image directly into a post, or must they all be linked / attached? Any suggestions for easily decreasing the size of an image so it meets the attachment requirements? My photo editing skills are basically non-existent.

Link test:
https://download.ams.birds.cornell.edu/api/v1/asset/132053871/large?__hstc=60209138.d43c2987e021fcc0dba3e56f018291c6.1542663516556.1550361486588.1550414508321.25&__hssc=60209138.17.1550414508321&__hsfp=2611763238

Last edited:
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum and me from Myrtle Beach :t:

If the photo is yours you and attach it to a post or post it in the Gallery. To attach it to the post click on "Go Advanced" tab and upload it there. If the photo does not belong to you then a link to the post is what you should do. To be on the safe side make your uploads around 900 x 900 pixels. Enjoy!

Hi Charles and a warm welcome from me too.

Here are a few ideas for re-sizing your pictures, depending which system and apps you have.

Re-sizing Pictures:

After you've done any other work on your pic (always a copy mind ) and cropped away any part of the picture you don't want, you can then re-size it. But don't crop to get the file size you want.

How you actually do it depends on what programs you have.

In Windows 7 you can right click on the image and there's an option to re-size (choose the smallest 800x600 - you can go bigger 1032 on the longest side I think, but Windows doesn't give you that option!). Adobe Photoshop: you have a better choice there, in the Image menu: Resize, you can actually choose the size you want, and the quality... always select medium.

Window 8: Right click on the image and select Edit from the drop down. Then select Image from the menu in the Paint programme that opens. You can then type in the number of pixels for the longest side. I usually choose 900 but you can go up to 1032.

I use Paint.net (free) for basic editing. Then select Image > Resize. Type in 900 in the highlighted box and save. Then Save As (new name).

Alternatively you could download the free program called Picassa.

If you use a Mac, this page shows you how to do it: http://www.howtogeek.com/201638/use-your-macs-preview-app-to-crop-resize-rotate-and-edit-images/

I hope one of these ideas work for you. If not, try posting in the Computer subforum - I'm sure someone will have more suggestions for you. There's loads of methods depending what software you have.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Thanks.

Hi Charles and a warm welcome from me too.

Here are a few ideas for re-sizing your pictures, depending which system and apps you have.

Re-sizing Pictures:

After you've done any other work on your pic (always a copy mind ) and cropped away any part of the picture you don't want, you can then re-size it. But don't crop to get the file size you want.

How you actually do it depends on what programs you have.

In Windows 7 you can right click on the image and there's an option to re-size (choose the smallest 800x600 - you can go bigger 1032 on the longest side I think, but Windows doesn't give you that option!). Adobe Photoshop: you have a better choice there, in the Image menu: Resize, you can actually choose the size you want, and the quality... always select medium.

Window 8: Right click on the image and select Edit from the drop down. Then select Image from the menu in the Paint programme that opens. You can then type in the number of pixels for the longest side. I usually choose 900 but you can go up to 1032.

I use Paint.net (free) for basic editing. Then select Image > Resize. Type in 900 in the highlighted box and save. Then Save As (new name).

Alternatively you could download the free program called Picassa.

If you use a Mac, this page shows you how to do it: http://www.howtogeek.com/201638/use-your-macs-preview-app-to-crop-resize-rotate-and-edit-images/

I hope one of these ideas work for you. If not, try posting in the Computer subforum - I'm sure someone will have more suggestions for you. There's loads of methods depending what software you have.

Thanks. I don't do any editing or cropping to my photos. I don't have any editing software except the Paint program that came with Windows 10. I've tried a couple of free programs (including Paint.net) but I don't know what I'm trying to do or how to tell when I'm finished.

I wish W10 had the right-click option to resize like W7 did.

I wish W10 had the right-click option to resize like W7 did.

Yes, I know.... I miss that too.

OK Paint! Very simple though to re-size your pictures. Look at the menu along the top and click on Image. The drop down menu will include Re-size.

Select that and a box opens, with a load of size option. The current size will be selected and highlighted. I just type in 900 to that box (though you could use 1024 if you want - or any number in between). Click on OK.

Then go to File in the menu along the top. The drop down includes Save and Save As....

Always select Save As and give your picture a different name, something meaningful. (For instance I type BF Little Egret 190219). Click on Save and it should then be the first image in the folder.

Always "Save as" that way you always have the original picture and size to go back to.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I'm a network administrator but I don't do anything with photos or graphics. I've never really looked at Paint and I didn't know it would resize.

So next I attach the image? I don't copy and paste it into message box?

If you want to add a picture in this thread, follow these instructions. Don't be afraid to ask if anything isn't clear.

To upload your pictures, first make sure they're no more than 1600 pixels on the longest side. Save a copy to your desktop. This is for jpgs, it varies for other formats, which are shown on the pop-up screen.

To upload the pictures in a thread, make sure you're in an advanced posting mode, either by starting a new thread, or by clicking on Post Reply (if you're in Quick Reply, click on Go Advanced).

After you've typed your comment, scroll down below the message pane and you will see a grey Manage Attachments button.

Click on that and then Browse for your first picture and double click on it. Click on Upload and wait a few seconds until you see the filename appear in the box.

You can do this 4 more times for each post (the maximum is 5 pictures per post, but there is no limit in the thread).

Close the box.

You can check the pictures are there if you click on Preview.

When you submit your post the pictures should appear at the bottom.

Do come back if you need more assistance.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back