• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Axe Estuary (1 Viewer)

A late morning visit to Tower Hide produced another juv Yellow-legged Gull, three Whimbrel and nine Black-tailed Godwit. I have also attached a photo of yesterdays Juv YL Gull on Black Hole Marsh.

Attachments

• YLG 2nd Aug SDC19655.jpg
    YLG 2nd Aug SDC19655.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 69
  • YLG 2nd Aug SDC19676.jpg
    YLG 2nd Aug SDC19676.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 85
  • YLG 1 Aug SDC19638.jpg
    YLG 1 Aug SDC19638.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 76
There were three Wood Sandpipers on Black Hole Marsh this morning. Other waders present were two Green Sandpiper, five Common Sandpiper and four Dunlin.

Attachments

• Three Wood Sand SDC19889.jpg
    Three Wood Sand SDC19889.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Three Wood Sand SDC19918.jpg
    Three Wood Sand SDC19918.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 77
  • Wood Sand SDC19919.jpg
    Wood Sand SDC19919.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 84
Today between Colyford Common and Black Hole Marsh there were six Wood Sanpiper, two Greenshank, 12 Green Sandpiper. ten Dunlin, five Ringed Plover, ten Black-tailed Godwit and a Little Stint.

Attachments

• Wood Sand SDC19941.jpg
    Wood Sand SDC19941.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Ringed Plover SDC10006.jpg
    Ringed Plover SDC10006.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 88
  • Dunlin SDC10010.jpg
    Dunlin SDC10010.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Little Stint SDC10064.jpg
    Little Stint SDC10064.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
The new facilities at Blackhole Marsh are proving very good. 360 degree viewing and interesting birds. Its proving popular too. I've made three visits in the last 2 weeks (from South Somerset) and despite the rather cloudy conditions, I've had some nice shots.

I try to be tolerant particularly when young children arrive and for the most part they have been very well behaved - there is no substitute for starting young. My problem is not with the youngsters but with people old enough to know better.

On each occasion, while I have been awaiting waders coming close enough to photograph, I have had to endure loud (and I mean loud) conversations about pasties, car reliability and air conditioning that is occasionally leavened with loud complaints about the distance the birds are from the hide and how difficult it is to photograph them. Yesterday was a case in point. Eventually as these noisy 'senior citizens' left, the wood sandpipers, greenshanks and knot came close enough. But only after it had gone quiet.

What about a sign along the lines of 'QUIET - THIS INCLUDES YOU'.

Attachments

• IMG_8759-1.JPG
    IMG_8759-1.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8846-1.JPG
    IMG_8846-1.JPG
    316.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8910-2.JPG
    IMG_8910-2.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I'm sure that was intended to be a little tongue-in-cheek?

The nicest thing about the hides on the Axe is that they've never been (and hopefully never will be) silent boxes into which you tiptoe and fear to enter.

Certainly there is a level above which enthusiastic chatter and discussion spills over into shouting and disturbance to other visitors, but a bit of talking only keeps the birds out of super-close-up photography range temporarily. They are always within identifiable binocular view.

Just imagine, if the local authority were to slap up signs bossing everyone about, every 100 yards or so - it would be terrible! ;)

James

Not entirely. I'm not po-faced about my bird watching and photography but respect for others cuts both ways. If I sit quietly, it seems to me to be reasonable for other to follow suit.

Last edited:
Lot of sympathy with both sides here.
Slimbridge did very well a long time ago with its "geese have ears" signs outside and inside the hides. Not "bossing people about" but suggesting a good way to behave.
Every sympathy re the loud "senior citizens": I have experienced similar from so-called wardens on reserves, yelling about last weekend's party and the next.
But children, that's a different matter, you can't expect silence, and trying to enforce it could mean they'll never want to try it again.

Its a really tricky one to balance, my preference is conversation rather than signs, but not everyone is comfortable with that.

"These greenshank will come really close to the hide if we keep our voices down..." is much more engaging than a sign suggesting hushed tones, however it does raise the possibility of a rude reply!

Its a good job the best time of day to photograph from the island hide is late evening - when far fewer people are about anyway!

These are interesting comments.

During my most recent visit (and I am a great fan), there were a number of interested if not experienced birders who were able to work through some of the identification challenges of autumn waders and do it quietly. And I managed some pleasing shots.

So it can be done.

Attachments

• IMG_8996-1.JPG
    IMG_8996-1.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_9084-1.JPG
    IMG_9084-1.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9206-1.JPG
    IMG_9206-1.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9267-1.JPG
    IMG_9267-1.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 74
I suppose this is the tongue in cheek bit...

What is the point of a hide unless it is to get closer to the birds and/or allow the birds to come closer without disturbance to give views to all visitors whether or not they have expensive optical equipment? (e.g. children?)
There is no need for the hide if it is the domain for people with scopes anyway, they can surely see almost everything from walking around the perimeter of a lake/marsh.
Whilst some birds do not seem to mind a bit of noise, I still think the quietness & whispering tones in a hide adds to the overall experience of possibly something a little special for non regular visitors.

I suppose this is the tongue in cheek bit...

What is the point of a hide unless it is to get closer to the birds and/or allow the birds to come closer without disturbance to give views to all visitors whether or not they have expensive optical equipment? (e.g. children?)
I find myself in full agreement.....

I asked myself the question as to whether the sightings of Little Stint on Thursday and Saturday were of the same bird. Sue Smith kindly provided an excellent photo of her Little Stint on Thursday which I compared with a photo taken on Saturday which showed that two birds were involved.

Attachments

• Susans Little Stint 101[1].JPG
    Susans Little Stint 101[1].JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Little Stint SDC10367.jpg
    Little Stint SDC10367.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 83
There were two little stints of BH Marsh yesterday morning (between 0830 and 1115 at least). A juvenile (1st picture) and a moulting adult (2nd picture).

Attachments

• IMG_9536.JPG
    IMG_9536.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9478.JPG
    IMG_9478.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 86
Cuckoo flew overhead as I was leaving site yesterday, from estuary corner of BHM and shot down into the hedge at the far end of Stafford Marsh, has anyone caught up with this species with a camera this autumn on the wetlands?

As for hide noise, I think we are all in broad agreement that there is an optimum level of noise which doesn't involve silence or raucousness, but somewhere in the middle.

James

I haven't seen it yet but I may try this weekend. If anyone see Curlew Sandpiper, Spotted Redshank or any other wader not yet recorded on BH Marsh this season, then please post as I will be keen to photograph it.

Curlew Sandpiper

One juvenile Curlew Sandpier present on Blackhole Marsh this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_9636.JPG
    IMG_9636.JPG
    394.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9637.JPG
    IMG_9637.JPG
    360.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_9666-1.JPG
    IMG_9666-1.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_9650-1.JPG
    IMG_9650-1.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 94
Young hobby over Stafford Marsh Wed afternoon, got a few pics which I will post later, but no great shot.
Sky was full of hirudines, thousands of them! Quiet on Black Hole Marsh lagoon.
James

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back