• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-tailed Eagle (1 Viewer)

FoghornKinghorn

Durham Recorder
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know anything or anyone who has seen the White-tailed Eagle over the past few days? No one has come forward yet with any details and some information would be great. David P did but other than David no one else since Sunday.

Thanks,

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know anything or anyone who has seen the White-tailed Eagle over the past few days? No one has come forward yet with any details and some information would be great. David P did but other than David no one else since Sunday.

Thanks,

Saw it high over Lintzford Saturday early afternoon, heard nothing since.

Hey everyone,

Thanks,

Apparently all reports from Chopwell Woods, Bradbury Carrs, Crookfoot resr and Wingate Quarry, 1st - 6th December are erroneous and believed to be hoaxes !!

Apparently all reports from Chopwell Woods, Bradbury Carrs, Crookfoot resr and Wingate Quarry, 1st - 6th December are erroneous and believed to be hoaxes !!

The regular hoaxer from this part of the world has had a busy autumn it seems. People may be familiar with him from a variety of guises on here over recent years.

cheers, alan

The regular hoaxer from this part of the world has had a busy autumn it seems. People may be familiar with him from a variety of guises on here over recent years.

cheers, alan

That all makes perfect sense,particulary given the species involved (specifically aimed at the person who started this thread perhaps?) but the fact that other people have reported it since doesnt seem to add up at all.

Seems like the mobile number used for todays report at Wingate has been tied in with last years multiple hoaxes. Whether there is a mix of true reports of a Sea eagle followed by repeated hoax messages remains to be seen. Odd that there are no repeated confirmed sightings for a huge bird in a busy part of the county for public/birders, and odd no-one has come forward to say they've seen it.

Michael A - you saw the bird over Linzford on Saturday yourself? A different observer must have reported it to Birdline when over Chopwell. Or did you ring it in?

Cheers

Mark

Seems like the mobile number used for todays report at Wingate has been tied in with last years multiple hoaxes. Whether there is a mix of true reports of a Sea eagle followed by repeated hoax messages remains to be seen. Odd that there are no repeated confirmed sightings for a huge bird in a busy part of the county for public/birders, and odd no-one has come forward to say they've seen it.

Michael A - you saw the bird over Linzford on Saturday yourself? A different observer must have reported it to Birdline when over Chopwell. Or did you ring it in?

Cheers

Mark

Didn't ring it in was on way to metro centre when observed bird.

Didn't ring it in was on way to metro centre when observed bird.

Nice sighting, you're very lucky. Maybe best that you didn't disrupt your mum's/wife's shopping trip with rare bird sightings; you know how focussed they can be at this time of year.

Mark

Well Vodafone has just upped their tariffs I guess....

Hope I don't catch you benefiting from birds of which news was put out, that'd be naughty.

:flyaway:

Well Vodafone has just upped their tariffs I guess....

Hope I don't catch you benefiting from birds of which news was put out, that'd be naughty.

:flyaway:

I don't keep a bird list, and i don't go out of my way for a rarety. I also only pass sightings on to a few friends and not on line. I'm way passed the i saw it and you didn't, so your comments just go over my head. (I wonder why more and more sightings aren't passed on?)

I don't keep a bird list, and i don't go out of my way for a rarety. I also only pass sightings on to a few friends and not on line. I'm way passed the i saw it and you didn't, so your comments just go over my head. (I wonder why more and more sightings aren't passed on?)

I think what young Foggy was hinting at was that its nice to share sightings and beneficial to everyone, especially if you enjoy the bird news and sightings of others. Nothing to do with lists. A White-tailed Eagle would probably be the best/most impressive bird seen in Gateshead during most people's lifetimes and many birders/photographers would have relished the opportunity to look out for it.

Don't think it's true about 'more and more sightings' not being passed on. I receive around 50,000 records a year for County Durham (although comparitively few from the Gateshead area), and an increasing number of people enjoy contributing to the BTO Atlas, BirdTrack, local bird club studies, conservation efforts etc. Each to their own though, people get their enjoyment in different ways.

Mark

That's jut not true; you went for the Bee-Eater and you also twitched Long-eared Owls in the Rainton/Houghton area not so long ago.

Mark, was correct in what he said; it would have been nice for you to have shared your sighting so that more people could have benefited. Undoubtedly the Gateshead boys could have been in place the next day to benefit.

Cest' la vie!

I have checked with Birdnet and they have no idea who originated the Crookfoot Reservoir sighting. it seems a bit of a logical leap to suggest all the sightings are a hoax just because the latest is, apparently, from a known hoaxer (time he got a life). The Crookfoot sighting is particularly relevant for two reasons (1) This site is in Cleveland and it would be only the second W T eagle in the county since 1915 (2) Once at Crookfoot, a move to the Tees estuary becomes a realistic possibility and if it gets there it might stay for a few days (perhaps feeding on a dead seal). The 2 in 1915 spent several days here. Dave Britton

I think what young Foggy was hinting at was that its nice to share sightings and beneficial to everyone, especially if you enjoy the bird news and sightings of others. Nothing to do with lists. A White-tailed Eagle would probably be the best/most impressive bird seen in Gateshead during most people's lifetimes and many birders/photographers would have relished the opportunity to look out for it.

Don't think it's true about 'more and more sightings' not being passed on. I receive around 50,000 records a year for County Durham (although comparitively few from the Gateshead area), and an increasing number of people enjoy contributing to the BTO Atlas, BirdTrack, local bird club studies, conservation efforts etc. Each to their own though, people get their enjoyment in different ways.

Mark

Birds seen Gateshead are reported almost daily on Gatesheadbirders website. This site is available to view by all and does not require a password or the joining of a club ;). The vast majority of decent birds seen are also reported swiftly to RBA for the enjoyment of all.

Cheers

Rob

Your not online but your are on this forum...please explain!!!

Last edited:
Hi i took my dogs out yesterday at 12midday and saw a Buzzard over Woodham golf course ...I've seen it 4 times over the last 6 weeks in the area but 2hrs later got a text to say a white tailed eagle was over Bradbury less than a mile away as the buzzard flies, thought it must have been the same bird some one had ID'd wrong ...I'm just a knewby myself so thought nothing about it till I read this ...It was a buzzard which i saw though.
all the best,
john

Last edited:
Read your earlier post which comments that you do not report sightings on line! !! As for your eagle now understand to be a hoax involving the usual suspects. Shame as a big bop would have been popular with a number of Durham listers. Oh well there is always waxwings!

Last edited:
B :)
Read your earlier post which comments that you do not report sightings on line! !! As for your eagle now understand to be a hoax involving the usual suspects. Shame as a big bop would have been popular with a number of Durham listers. Oh well there is always waxwings!
I saw what i saw, but folks can believe whatever they want. I won't loose sleep over it. I did not post the sighting just confirmed that i saw Eagle (not my Eagle don't have one) high over Lintzford. A Waxwing for you. (I think!)

Attachments

• Waxwing13112012BlaydonIMG_2915.jpg
    Waxwing13112012BlaydonIMG_2915.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Well done, it is a waxwing. Apart from the Sunday report, Consensus of opinion from a number of sources is that the eagle is a hoax. Understand that mobile numbers used coincide with those used with previous north east hoaxes. Shame as a great place to go birding supported by the excellent Durham bird club. Hartlepool also organize annual June twitching events at the headland;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back