Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

House Martin nest boxes

Old Saturday 4th August 2018, 12:30   #1
creedence

House Martin nest boxes

I have a couple of House Martin boxes to put up next year. I was just wondering how likely they are to be occupied? Some of my boxes, eg Tree Creeper box, have never been touched. Also how much of a problem can sparrows be in taking over the box? There are a few pairs nearby. With thanks.
Old Thursday 20th September 2018, 16:53   #2
lazza

I have had two House Martin nest boxes (well clay cups) on my house for 4 summers now, and nothing has nested in them. They have been visited once or twice but they are obviously not to the prospectors liking! What is doubly frustrating is that 6 of the 8 houses of the same design as ours on the same street have genuine House Martin nests in the gable roof, but not ours!!
2018 year list: 229 (Northern Wheatear, Cresswell Pond, Northumberland; September)
Old Sunday 30th September 2018, 10:08   #3
creedence

Thanks Lazza, sorry to hear about your lack of success. Do you think it matters which direction the boxes face? N S E or W? You didn't even get House Sparrows?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: