• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Queensland 04 (1 Viewer)

MacNara

Japan
In Brisbane City Roma Street Park.

1. and 2. should be either Fairy Martin or Tree Martin. Can anyone tell me which?

3. I assume from the eye-patch is a juvenile male Figbird, but there's no juvenile in my book, and otherwise it looks like an Olive-backed Oriole, so I thought I should check.

From Eagleby near Brisbane:

4. There were Little Black and Little Pied Cormorants, and a Darter there, but I think this thing which flew over was a Great Cormorant. Only the one photo.

Attachments

• IMGP9372.jpg
    IMGP9372.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMGP9374.jpg
    IMGP9374.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMGP9246.jpg
    IMGP9246.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 41
  • IMGP9650.jpg
    IMGP9650.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 44
Thank you both. As I said there was a Darter there, and we also saw one in Roma Street in Brisbane. I wasn't sure because of the dark body in silhouette, but the neck shape seems good for Darter and not Great.

Thanks again.

both T and F Martins are common in Brisbane. They make very different calls - which is often an easier way to pick them apart.
Cheers
Mat

Thanks Mat and Cathy. If I had heard them call, it would have been useful, of course, but I didn't. This was at Roma Street next to the café & restaurant there.

The BF gods seem to like you: I got six simultaneous and identical notifications of your post! How weird.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back