• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meet America's Most Endangered Bird (1 Viewer)

Interesting link. Until I clicked on it, I thought it might be about the Ivory-billed Woodpecker but I guess that is considered less endangered.

cheers, a

Interesting link. Until I clicked on it, I thought it might be about the Ivory-billed Woodpecker but I guess that is considered less endangered.

cheers, a

Ah yes, the Ivory-billed Woodpecker! When they first announced that one had been seen in Arkansas in 2005, we were very excited and went to a presentation by Tim Gallagher (author of the Grail Bird) and Bobby Harrison at our local Audubon Society. Since then they have spent 5 years searching intensively for more evidence, without any success!

It's certainly a very interesting topic - it is classed as Critically Endangered. Here are a couple of links to articles on the Cornell Lab's website:

The search for the Ivory-billed Woodpecker

Final Reports on the searches

No, just the opposite I'm sorry to say: not less endangered, but extinct.

Hi, Are you aware if the Aududon Society or indeed any of the Federal Agencies (eg USF&W) has stated in the public domain that IBWO "is extinct"?

cheers, alan

For those wishing to know what the link's about before clicking on it, the bird concerned is the Florida race of Grasshopper Sparrow (one of 12 subspecies). There's an interesting article (via a second click) about the status of this bird which is recommended, if depressing, reading.

Hi, Are you aware if the Aududon Society or indeed any of the Federal Agencies (eg USF&W) has stated in the public domain that IBWO "is extinct"?

I'm not aware of any public statements by such bodies to that effect, but then I wouldn't necessarily be. Cornell has abandoned active search I know & I don't believe any other "official" organization is seriously looking for the woodpecker either at this stage. So official announcements or no, extinction's been practically conceded pretty much all round.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back