• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping through old telephoto lenses (1 Viewer)

Paul Corfield

Has anyone tried using old slr telephoto lenses as a scope? I've been messing around with a Canon 100mm to 200mm telephoto lens this week. I've fixed my 22mm scope eyepiece to the back of the lens and then use the digital camera through that via an adapter. I'm in the process of building a whole unit with a bayonet fitting so different lenses can be used. The unit will also have an eyepiece holder and a tripod mount which will basically turn old lenses into scopes. Here's a photo I took today with my set up.

Paul.

Attachments

• Collared_Dove.jpg
    Collared_Dove.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 278
Paul Corfield said:
Has anyone tried using old slr telephoto lenses as a scope? I've been messing around with a Canon 100mm to 200mm telephoto lens this week. I've fixed my 22mm scope eyepiece to the back of the lens and then use the digital camera through that via an adapter. I'm in the process of building a whole unit with a bayonet fitting so different lenses can be used. The unit will also have an eyepiece holder and a tripod mount which will basically turn old lenses into scopes. Here's a photo I took today with my set up.

Paul.
What an interesting idea. I've got an old 350mm that I must try. Using my 4x camera zoom that would give me 1400 x pictures.

The thing you need to remember is that there must be some sort of telescope eyepiece between the telephoto lens and the camaera. It wont work just with the camera and zoom lens as the image won't be in focus. Also the image is upside down on the camera screen so I'm using a small prism to erect the image the correct way up.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back