• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tundra or Taiga bean goose (1 Viewer)

marius.k

Hi all,
The one on the left seems pure Tundra Bean Goose, but what about the right one? Taiga?
Lithuania today.

Attachments

• Anser sp.jpg
    Anser sp.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Both the geese in question are Tundra. They lack the Swan like neck proportions of Taiga, and the bill looks too delicate. Bill pattern also favours Tundra (mostly back with orange band near the tip).

Both the geese in question are Tundra. They lack the Swan like neck proportions of Taiga, and the bill looks too delicate. Bill pattern also favours Tundra (mostly back with orange band near the tip).

Agree with Dougie here. We used to call then rossicus... :cat:

PS Like a Pinkfoot, but a bit Bean-erer!

Last edited:
Another shot.
I still see more Tundra Been Goose features on the left one. Right one IMO seems more Taiga.

Attachments

• 50029895_2898492153510445_3421372915088621568_o.jpg
    50029895_2898492153510445_3421372915088621568_o.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 114
By the size of the birds compared to the Whitefront and especially the bill shape of the front bird I get more a Taiga bean goose feel especially for the front bird- but they do not appear as longnecked as I´d be used to. In this respect they are more Tundra like, as well as the slightly differntly appearing bill of the 2nd bird. And we do not know if the whitefront was a very small individual.

I think these birds are well within the variation of what Tundra Bean Geese look like. They don't look exceptionally large to me, and all other characteristics (bill shape/colour, body structure, neck length, head shape, rather greyish brown color) all point towards this species.

I think the birds that Nikolai wanted an opinion on are not 100% identifiable from those pictures, although I am leaning towards Tundra Bean Goose for these too, given that they appear rather short-necked. The orange bill colour may be slightly more extensive than people expect for this species, but this is not a very useful identification criterion in my experience. I would assume Tundra Bean Goose is also the much more likely species to occur in Bulgaria?

Lutzen Portengen

I agree that Anser serrirostris rossicus is most parsimonious. Here is a source that is used to separate the species in the Far East:

Masayuki, K. et al. 1983. Notes on the Field Identification of Anser fabalis serrirostris and A. f. middendorfi. Tori 32:95-108. (PDF)

In summary, the two can be separated by a combination bill and head structure alone. A few birds that key out to be Taiga but which seem too small are not considered identifiable at this time. They may be hybrids. And FWIW, I think the split into two species was premature at best.

Not sure to what extent criteria suggested for separating serrirostris from middendorffii are useful in a European context, to me fabalis and middendorffii look quite different (although I have no field experience with the latter). I have no strong opinion with regards to species status for Taiga and Tundra Bean Geese (and/or Middendorf's Goose), but I would personally not give too much weight to the fact that some individuals can not be safely identified.

Lutzen

I'd also agree with Tundra for both - Whitefronts can be very small - look at this bird with Pinks.

Seems to be a few birds being called Taiga this year in the UK, that I'd peg as Tundra.

Attachments

• IMG_6331.jpg
    IMG_6331.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 86
Thank you guys for this great discussion.

At the same time in facebook group "Identification and ageing series" there were more opinions for Taiga Bean Goose. So we will leave this one as
Anser serrirostris/fabalis, or possible hybrid.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back