• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (55 Viewers)

Moors East hide about 6pm - adult oyc flew from extreme right to extreme left, the returned right and disappeared for a short while. Made another pass and landed on the island where the nest is. Met by adult and lively chick.

This is the pair in Amy's Marsh rather than the Broadmeadow?

Not that I could see sorry :(
He headed towards the sailing pool

No Sarah - that's the right answer! :t::t:

I will have a look later as to how many ringing schemes there of wild cranes; the assumption generally is that such birds come from the reintroduction programme based around Slimbridge and the Somerset Levels

Today's highlights:

FLASHES: No sign of a Crane this evening from the Flashes this.
Dunlin (1)---------------------Common Sand (1)
LRP (6)------------------------Oystercatcher (1)
Lapwing (9)-------------------Avocet (29) + chicks of 4:4:3:3:3:2:2:1
Shelduck (1)------------------Gadwall (m)
Shoveler (pr)------------------Tufted Duck (17)
Yellow Wagtail (f)-------------Cetti's Warbler (Hen Pool)

MOORS:
Common Tern (10)------------Med Gull (2s)
Shelduck (5)------------------Shoveler (m+pr)
Gadwall (m)-------------------Tufted Duck (33)
Little Grebe (5)----------------G C Grebe (2) + 3 chicks
Kingfisher----------------------Greylag Goose (2)
Lapwing (1)--------------------Oystercatcher (2)
Whitethroat (2)----------------Kestrel
Swift (6)-----------------------Cetti's Warbler (2)
Raven (4)

NORTH MOORS:
Lesser Whitethroat------------Shoveler (2m)
Tufted Duck (10)--------------Cetti's Warbler

SAILING POOL:
Lesser Whitethroat------------Cetti's Warbler
Tufted Duck (9)---------------G C Grebe (6)

Des.

I will have a look later as to how many ringing schemes there of wild cranes; the assumption generally is that such birds come from the reintroduction programme based around Slimbridge and the Somerset Levels

Ooooooo. I dragged my poor mom over the sailing pool... In a kind of jogging fashion... To find where he went but we couldn't find him :( walked all the way around through the woods the lot

Cr-birding lists three ringing schemes of wild birds:-

- A German scheme that uses a single white coded ring
- A German co-ordinated scheme that uses combinations of uncoded coloured rings covering a number of countries (including Russia, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Israel and Estonia)
- A Finish scheme that uses combinations of coded and uncoded coloured rings on both legs

Cr-birding lists three ringing schemes of wild birds:-

- A German scheme that uses a single white coded ring
- A German co-ordinated scheme that uses combinations of uncoded coloured rings covering a number of countries (including Russia, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Israel and Estonia)
- A Finish scheme that uses combinations of coded and uncoded coloured rings on both legs

Could he/she of come from slimbridge?

Crane records

So far this month there have been the following records of Common Crane away from their traditional locations of Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire:

- Upton Warren, Worces on 13/05/2015
- Black Law, Shotts, Clyde on 13/05/2015
- St Marys / Tresco / St Martins / Bryher, Isles of Scilly from 08/05/2015 to 13/05/2015
- Mainland / Yell, Shetland from 10/05/2015 to 11/05/2015 (2 birds)
- Upton Warren, Worcs (ringed) on 11/05/2015
- Catisford, Hampshire on 10/05/2015 (4 birds)
- Salisbury, Wiltshire on 10/05/2015 (3 birds)
- Cadnam, Hampshire on 10/05/2015 (3 birds)
- Buckinghamshire (ringed) on 09/05/2015 (3 birds)
- Oxfordshire (ringed) on 09/05/2015 (3 birds)
- Steart, Somerset on 08/05/2015
- Penarth, Glamorgan on 08/05/2015
- Bredon's Hardwick, Worcs on 07/05/2015 (2 birds)
- Kemerton Worcs (ringed) on 04/05/2015 (2 birds)
- Thursley Common, Surrey on 04/05/2015
- Hemscott Hill, Northumberland on 04/05/2015
- Dungeness. Kent on 04/05/2015
- Cotswold Water Park, Gloucs on 04/05/2015 (3 birds)
- Colyton, Devon on 04/05/2015 (3 birds)
- Standless Hall, East Sussex on 04/05/2015
- Grindon Lough, Northumberland on 04/05/2015 (2 birds)
- Drumburgh Moss, Cumbria on 03/05/2015 (2 birds)
- Rutland Water, Leics on 01/05/2015

Could he/she of come from slimbridge?

Potentially if it was ringed.

It will be interesting to see where the County Recorder chooses to rest the burden of proof - if a bird is identifiable but the legs aren't seen (well) will it be assumed to be wild bird or a reintroduction?

Recent sightings of Cranes

The recent sightings of cranes over UW has brought up the question of their origins.

www.thegreatcraneproject.org.uk gives all the information about what really should be called the Somerset Levels Birds - which is where all the Slimbridge reared birds were intended to be released.

The Project is keen to know of all sightings of birds whether they can be seen as ringed or not. If ringed the site does allow you look up the colour codes and identify them yourself.

There is also up to date news and links to other crane related sites.

An honest and informative site well worth the reading of.

Phil E

Unfortunately on Tuesday due to high wind we were unable to remove the 'cover' from the main tern raft. With light winds predicted tomorrow Friday 15 th May we will try again . As the terns are now arriving in numbers it is as good a time as ever. This is at least 10 days earlier than last year. If anyone is around the Moors at about 10am tomorrow then if you could give us a hand that would be great. we should sort it in 30 minutes max. B :) john

Eight Common Terns this evening at the Moors Pool. Two each of Shelduck and Oystercatcher, no sign of chick in the 30 minutes I was there. Also Common Sand and the 2nd summer Med Gull plus 250+ hirundines (100+ Swallow, 120+ House Martin & 30+ Sand Martin) and 40-50 Swifts. Reed Warbler, Cetti's Warbler, Chiffchaff and Whitethroat singing. Flashes was mostly BHG and Avocet, with nine broods of the latter. The weather made counting difficult but I saw 4:3:3:3:3:2:2:2:1 which is by no means definitive. Pair of Shoveler and male Gadwall, LRP uncounted but none appear to be sitting. Few Lapwings still.

Eight Common Terns this evening at the Moors Pool. Two each of Shelduck and Oystercatcher, no sign of chick in the 30 minutes I was there. Also Common Sand and the 2nd summer Med Gull plus 250+ hirundines (100+ Swallow, 120+ House Martin & 30+ Sand Martin) and 40-50 Swifts. Reed Warbler, Cetti's Warbler, Chiffchaff and Whitethroat singing. Flashes was mostly BHG and Avocet, with nine broods of the latter. The weather made counting difficult but I saw 4:3:3:3:3:2:2:2:1 which is by no means definitive. Pair of Shoveler and male Gadwall, LRP uncounted but none appear to be sitting. Few Lapwings still.

So 9 broods Mike, 2 more should be hatching soon. Are the 3 ;lapwings still sitting in front of hide:t:

Black tailed godwit

Not I good pic but on the flashes currently and you have to zoom in

Attachments

• 20150515112120_IMG_1270.jpg
    20150515112120_IMG_1270.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 154

Users who are viewing this thread

Back