Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 27th September 2012, 20:04   #1

Post Bushnell 10 x 50 Xtra-Wide Binoculars For Sale - $54.99

Hell I apologize for my first post being a for sale pitch, but I own an unused item that I felt someone in the bird watching community might appreciate and want. The binoculars are somewhat compact, but nicely weighted for steady viewing. Also, the field of view is 500'!!!

I purchased this item for $140.00 several years ago to use at a Nascar race and were unable to attend. The binoculars are BRAND NEW and have only been out of the box to shoot the pictures for this listing. The features are as follows:

• 500' Field of View @ 1000 yds.

• Center Focus. •Unique Compact Design.

• Soft Fold Down Contoured Eyecups.

• Durable Rubber Armoring.

• 10 Power brings objects 10 times closer.

• Original Bushnell Padded Case.

• If you know the Bushnell Brand and the Xtra Wide Series, you know what
I have.

I have researched the shipping cost and going through the USPS using a medium Flat-Rate box, it would cost $11.35 for delivery anywhere in the United States.

I have included 4 attachments for your review.

These binoculars are beautiful. They don't make them like this anymore. Please take them under consideration - you will NOT be disappointed. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. Thanks for looking!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	binoculars 001.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	406774  Click image for larger version

Name:	binoculars 005.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	406775  Click image for larger version

Name:	binoculars 004.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	406777  Click image for larger version

Name:	binoculars 003.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	406778  
Old Friday 28th September 2012, 05:01   #2

Nice price! Not familiar with this model, but the Xtra Wide FOV reminds me of the Bushnell 4x30, which I think uses mirrors to achieve its amazingly wide 900 ft @ 1,000 yards.

I have a 10x50 Celestron Nova that has 8* FOV. Thought THAT was WIDE FIELD, but with these Bushnells, you could look around the corner!

6.5* is about as wide as 10x50 porros go these days.

Old Friday 28th September 2012, 07:10   #3
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Eighties Voy,

I'm not familiar with your bin, but,
That Bushie 4 x 30 with the 900' Fov (16.7*), has an Afov of 66.8* making it ~wide & 1/2 .....
Brock's 10x50 420' Fov (8*) Celestron Nova, has an Afov of 80* which is super wide .....
but if the specs are correct, a 10x with 500' Fov (9.5*), has an Afov of 95* !!
That's beyond mere extra wide, super wide, ultra wide, or seeing around corners! ..... that's almost wide enough to see the "kick me" sign pinned to a back!

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 28th September 2012, 20:32   #4

My measurements indicate that the real field of view of the 4 x 21 Xtrawide is a true 18.5 degrees.
But the true magnification seems to be 3.5x.
It is fixed focus, so they suit young people with good accommodation. The field seems to be curved.
For me they are in focus at 'infinity' at the edges but not the centre.
But for wide separation of say planets I quite liked them. This was for Jupiter and Venus.

The 10 x 50 and other Superwides I found interesting but the detail was soft maybe because of the odd prisms.
They are extremely wide, but I preferred more convential binoculars.
The best thing is to try them and see if they suit you.
I forget but maybe there were three variations of magnification in the style of the 10 x 50.

There were also 5x and 10x smaller ones, but these are I think more conventional, also possibly a zoom.
And the 4 x 21 seems to have been replaced with 4 x 30, which I have not tried.
These are both probably useful for really wide fields.

There is a Chinese 4 x 22 independent eyepiece focussing binocular I like a lot with a true real field of 16.5 degrees and a true 4x magnification. This is also available as a fixed focus binocular, but the independent eyepiece focus version is the one I like.
Old Friday 28th September 2012, 20:39   #5

Incidentally, binoculars were made long ago with 100 degree apparent fields.
I think these may have aspheric components.
There is also a large Russian binocular with 100 degree eyepieces.
Eyepieces for periscopes reached 120 degree apparent fields a long time ago.
Astro eyepieces are now available with 100 degree fields and one at 110 degrees.
Nikon also has a very expensive super wide angle eyepiece.
These super wide eyepieces are complex and often have many elements.
Old Saturday 29th September 2012, 18:06   #6

Lightbulb Thank you for all the replies!!!

Hello again. Thank you for all of the technical information!!! As I mentioned in my previous post, I did not mean to introduce myself to the forum with a sales pitch, but I have owned these binoculars for many years and never utilized them. I am not a bird watcher. However, I own a bird, a whitefaced cockatiel who is 16 years old!!! So, I have a complete understanding of the love for our avian friends. If anyone hears of someone that could use a nice pair of binoculars, please pass along my link or my email address. It is [email protected]. Yes, my bird is named emette
Old Sunday 30th September 2012, 07:54   #7
Highway Dog

That fifty dollars for the binoculars seem reasonable.

The new incarnation of this binoculars is the "Vixen Optics 10x50 Ascot Super Wide CFW Weather Resistant Porro Prism Binocular with 8.5 Degree Angle of View"

Adorama link of the Ascot Superwide for 169 dollars

The Ascot model was specified with the Vixen bought details than the Bushnell Xtra-Wide product.

I have used the Bresser 10x50 Superwide from Europe. It has only the blue Mg Oxide anti reflection coating. Later it came with the better anti-reflection multi-coatings, which I did not see.

The view through the Bresser is adequate in the center but the outer fields are a sub par in their focus. I really have to press my eye sockets hard into the short eye cups to appreciate the outer edges of the field of view. I took it to a Brewers baseball game against Saint Louis. It was okay, especially because I was in the cheap seats. I still couldn't keep track of a fly ball, mainly because the small size of the ball at a distance, was hard to track in the un-sharp areas.

Old Sunday 30th September 2012, 08:43   #8

I wonder what the relief would be on these binoculars. 500' at 1000 yards surely means very low relief to help achieve that.
Old Monday 1st October 2012, 14:04   #9

From memory the eye relief was not much, but as I don't wear glasses with binoculars it was O.K.
It is just the resolution was not good enough for me for astronomy.
With many EWA binoculars the real field with your eye fixed at the centre can be increased slightly by.
Moving your eye a bit to one side.
Changing the IPD slightly to an incorrect setting so that sideways the field is increased without impairing the view much.
Moving your eye around the field of view, as the whole field is not visible in one take.
Depending what you are looking at some of the above may or may not be practical.

Often even those who don't use glasses and don't push their eyes into the eyecups will see a reduced or maybe very reduced field.
However, with binoculars with long eye relief, sometimes if your eyes are not in the right position part of the view vanishes.

Incidentally, it was reported to be by one user of a high magnification 50mm binocular that he damaged his eyes because the rubber eyecups were a perfect seal and when he pulled away quickly his eyes were also pulled. This he claims has resulted in some permanent slight problems.
He reckons this may have happened to others but I have not heard of other cases.
It could be it has happened and the person is ashamed to admit it.
It has never happened to me over a long binocular observing period.
Old Saturday 10th November 2012, 16:47   #10

Item Sold!

Thanks to everyone who expressed interest! Sincerely, Brian:)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: