• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optolyth To Kowa Adapter? (1 Viewer)

slingworks

Is there any sort of adapter on the market that adapts Kowa TSN (60mm) series eyepieces to an Optolyth 80mm spotting scope body?

I would like to use a Kowa 25xLER eyepiece on a TBS-80 Optolyth......
(Optolyth does not make a LER eyepiece).

Yes, it's probably an unusual question.....

I have read that Opticron eyepieces can/do fit Optolyth bodies as well.

jring I appreciate your reply. You've replied to quite a few of my (varied) posts and every time the reply was quite informative or helpful.

So if there isn't an adapter made, then it's at least possible to work one out. M37x.75 sounds large enough to allow a bayonet adapter that's externally threaded to screw down inside in place of the Optolyth eyepiece..Maybe just a light trim on a Kowa factory part?

Hi,

I have just measured the bayonet of one of my Kowa EPs - the diameter of the bayonet grooves is 28mm, and when measured between a groove and the opposite land, I get 29.2mm. So the outer diameter of the lands is 30.4mm - quite close to the nominal 1.25" or 31.75mm of an astro EP barrel.

It actually fit nicely into a 1.25" to 2" astro adapter of the compression band type, was gripped nicely and gave a good image.

So one could probably just put a layer of duct tape around it and it will easily fit into any 1.25" astro receptable - or 3d print an adapter to the M37x.75 thread of the optolyth.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back