• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My 2008 Moth catches (1 Viewer)

Reader

I have only run a trap five times so far this month. Three of those were mothless. One night I had an Oak Beauty and an LBAM plus last night when I trapped a Hebrew Character plus this moth.

Is it 663 Diurnea fagella?

John

Attachments

• DSCN3577.jpg
    DSCN3577.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 158
A busier night last night with 13 moths caught but as usual it has thrown up some queries for me.

The first one would appear to be a moth that fly's in July. Surely I am wrong but is No. 1 Possibly a 288 Caloptilia stigmatella

Are No's 2 & 3 Agonopterix heracliana

Lastly No.4. Is it a worn Double-striped Pug?

John

Attachments

• Poss 288 Caloptilia stigmatella 3633.jpg
    Poss 288 Caloptilia stigmatella 3633.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Poss Agonopterix heracliana 3627.jpg
    Poss Agonopterix heracliana 3627.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Poss Agonopterix heracliana 3632.jpg
    Poss Agonopterix heracliana 3632.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 133
  • Poss Double-striped Pug 3618.jpg
    Poss Double-striped Pug 3618.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 143
The first one would appear to be a moth that fly's in July. Surely I am wrong but is No. 1 Possibly a 288 Caloptilia stigmatella

John,

I think some adults over-winter, I had one a couple of weeks ago.

I agree with the other IDs, by the way.

David

Thanks David

I have just checked on Mike Walls site and indeed it does show up as 30-50% of peak abundance in March / April.

John

I think some adults over-winter, I had one a couple of weeks ago.

I agree with the other IDs, by the way.

David

Only 5 moths trapped last night in 4+ hours (20:15 00:45. 3 Common Quakers and a Small Quaker plus this one which I think is a Clouded Drab.

Am I right?

John

Attachments

• DSCN3662.jpg
    DSCN3662.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 147
I trapped a Pug last night that is giving me problems. Is it a Brindled Pug?

John

Attachments

• DSCN3717.jpg
    DSCN3717.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 126
Is this a Powdered Quaker? I have never seen one before so I am not very sure about it.

John

Attachments

• DSCN3726.jpg
    DSCN3726.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Both these moths flew straight after these shots so I didn't have a chance of better images.

It's probably doubtful that an ID will be found on them but I live in hope. The second one was minute.

I am trying to report everything I find on the Warwickshire Moths site so a complete daily list would be great and these are the only two I am struggling with from last night.

John

Attachments

• DSCN3746.jpg
    DSCN3746.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN3748.jpg
    DSCN3748.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 123
There is one moth that has caught me out from last night. It is a Plume Moth. Any ideas.

I have narrowed it down to a possible Stenoptilia bipunctidactyla plus I was considering Stenoptilia millieridactyla.

Knowing me this moth will probably be neither.

Any ideas?

John

Attachments

• Poss Stenoptilia bipunctidactyla 3757.jpg
    Poss Stenoptilia bipunctidactyla 3757.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 123
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back