• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moths of May 2010 (1 Viewer)

Andy1979

NOt a good night to start this thread! Rained almost solidly, but I had put the trap out before going to bed:

Muslin 1
Common Quaker 1
Tawny Pinion 1 (NFG).

Andy.

Very cold here last night compared to last week so a poor start to May.

Eriocrania subpurpurella 1
Shuttle-shaped Dart 3
Muslin 1

A few photos below of moths in the Dungeness Bird Obs trap in Kent over the week-end. Of note were many Tawny Shears (below), Small Waved Umber (below), Shuttle-shaped Dart (below), Lime-speck Pug, Lunar Marbled Brown, Pebble Prominent, Light Feathered Rustic, Ethmia Bipunctella (below) and Diamond-backed Moth whilst a visiting moth-er on the reserve showed me Nutmeg, Great Prominent and Oak-tree Pug that were trapped off site. Great weekend.

Attachments

• SNV35889 2.jpg
    SNV35889 2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 104
  • SNV35892 2.jpg
    SNV35892 2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 96
  • SNV35946 2.jpg
    SNV35946 2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 105
  • SNV35957 2.jpg
    SNV35957 2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 106
Last night was good. It stayed over 5 degrees and there was no wind or rain. I got 130 moths and 3 new species.

35 Hebrew Character
30 Clouded Drab
27 Chestnut
11 Early Grey
8 Pine Beauty
7 Common Quaker
2 Red Chestnut
2 Oak Beauty
2 Small Quaker
1 Blossom Underwing
1 Scarce Prominent

New species were:

1 Red Sword-grass
1 Shoulder Stripe
and two I can't ID. Please ID them for me, pictures attached o:) My guess is a Ringed Carpet in the second photo, which I got another night.

Attachments

• 2010-05-03 (2).jpg
    2010-05-03 (2).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 2010-05-03 (5).jpg
    2010-05-03 (5).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 2010-05-03 (6).jpg
    2010-05-03 (6).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Last night was good. It stayed over 5 degrees and there was no wind or rain. I got 130 moths and 3 new species.

35 Hebrew Character
30 Clouded Drab
27 Chestnut
11 Early Grey
8 Pine Beauty
7 Common Quaker
2 Red Chestnut
2 Oak Beauty
2 Small Quaker
1 Blossom Underwing
1 Scarce Prominent

New species were:

1 Red Sword-grass
1 Shoulder Stripe
and two I can't ID. Please ID them for me, pictures attached o:) My guess is a Ringed Carpet in the second photo, which I got another night.

I think both are Ringed Carpet (photos 2 and 3), the first one being form bowesi.

Its probably warmer up there in Sweden than here at the moment! Hence no trapping from me recently.

I thought setting my trap last night in cold windy North Essex would be a waste of time......................... I was right;).

My best night so far!!

At last, I'm finally getting some good moths!! B :)

Last night was the best night I've had so far with a total of 43 moths (give or take a hand full that escaped during the final count, and not counting the swarms of Water Carpets, Pugs, Thorns and Engraileds that were starting to show around the trap!! Bejesus!! :eek!:) comprising of 12 species, and this is after only 1.5 hrs trapping from say 22:00 till 23:30ish.....god knows how many I'd have got if I'd left the trap out all night!!!
There's 1 or 2 that I'm not sure about so I'll post the photos of said moths on the id forum......

MACROS

11x Water Carpet
6x Common Quaker
5x Hebrew Character
5x Red-green Carpet
4x Streamer (NFM)
3x Chestnut
2x Scrarce Prominent (NFM)
2x Early Thorn (NFM)
2x Engrailed (NFM)
1x Common Pug (NFM)

MICROS

1x D. Fagella
1x unknown (it's on the I'D. forum)

Attachments

• Scarce Prom.jpg
    Scarce Prom.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Early Thorn.jpg
    Early Thorn.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Engrailed.jpg
    Engrailed.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Streamer.jpg
    Streamer.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Red-green Carpet.jpg
    Red-green Carpet.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 112
A picture from yesterday of this beauty resting on my front door frame

A Brimstone Moth (Opisthograptis luteolata)

Regards
Kathy
x

Attachments

• IMG_2870.JPG
    IMG_2870.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2871.JPG
    IMG_2871.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 96
I put the trap out all night, and.... Nothing!

Not sure this is possible even though there was some rain. I've looked at the trap and can't find any problems. The only thing I did differently was to put it on the garden table.

Just 4 species last night:

Early Grey (15)
Shuttle-shaped Dart (10)
Hebrew Character (2)
Common Quaker

I assembled the S-s Darts and managed to get 7 together. (Three flew off.) Not focused very well but you can see the variation!

Nerine

Attachments

• shuttle-shaped darts 7 May.jpg
    shuttle-shaped darts 7 May.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 142
I had a trapping session at a wooded common (Ranmore Common) near me yesterday evening. There was cloud cover, but it was still quite cold. Up to 23:30 we had just 11 macro species, but six of these were completely new to me. These were:

3 Water Carpet
2 Least Black Arches
3 Lunar Marbled Brown
2 Frosted Green
1 Cream Wave
and a fantastic Scarce Prominent.

Also 9 Brindled Pug, 2 Common Quaker, 1 Early Thorn, 3 Clouded Drab, and 2 Pale Tussock.

Andy - I'm sure you doing nothing wrong, its just very cold still. Certainly is here anyway.
My catches have plumetted from 100+ a few weeks ago to a single Early Grey on Fri night and a Hebrew Character and Spectacle last night. Mind you, at least the Spec was NFY and was a very fresh individual.
Nice SSDs Nerine. Cool photo.

Not many last night, just three species of the usual.

Thanks Jonathan!
Andy, I agree with J - you're not doing anything wrong. We could do with milder nights but you just never know with moths - sometimes there's nothing and other times - nice surprises.

Smart Muslin Moth, Matelot - I've yet to see one here this year.

Nerine

Hi,

After borrowing a 15 W actinic heath light trap, I caught 15 crane flies the night before last (in my garden - Co. Cork, Ireland). Lastnight I moved the setup and had just 2 crane flies and 6 hebrew characters. Common species here and i'm sure everywhere but it's nice to see it works. Hopefully with some better weather i'll pull in some more species.

All the best,

Seán R.

Last edited:
Last night was not good with only 15 moths, and half of those Hebrew Characters. The weather was good with no wind or rain and min temp of 5.5 deg., but the moths where not out in my garden.

Last night was pretty good based on my catch thus far. Had a total of 6 species and 9 individuals comprising of:

Hebrew Character (4)
Common Quaker (1)
Double-Striped Pug (1) - New for garden
Brimstone Moth (1)
Angle Shades (1) - New for garden
Eudonia angustea (1) - New for garden

Also had 4 Cockchafers.

Attachments

• 134.jpg
    134.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 136.jpg
    136.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 447.jpg
    447.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 92
Interesting you have had cockchafer - not here yet - perhaps this year they will be known as June bugs not May bugs.
Had
21 Hebrew Character
4 Muslin Moth
5 Common Quaker

Yeah they're a bit of a nuisance to be honest! Had two on the 7th and have had them every night since. They get right into the trap and disturb all the moths. Can't seem to avoid craneflies either

Attachments

• 458.jpg
    458.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back