• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moving into May (1 Viewer)

dodgy ones... rush veneer is a wild guess.
Though having looked at various sites, Nomophila noctuella looks quite good. Is this part of Angus's sandy event?
Ken

Attachments

• rush_veneer1.jpg
    rush_veneer1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 75
  • micro1.jpg
    micro1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 64
  • poss-iron_prominent.jpg
    poss-iron_prominent.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Surreybirder said:
dodgy ones... rush veneer is a wild guess.
Though having looked at various sites, Nomophila noctuella looks quite good. Is this part of Angus's sandy event?
Ken
Yes for Rush veneer and "sandy event"

I'd say yes for Iron Prominent and I'll pass on the other.

Last night

Angus,
Thanks for the reply on the Caloptilia stigmatella. I've looked through UK Moths and there are two others that look a better coloration C. alchinella and C. robustella. Unfortunately it seems that they are the sort that need gen dets for separation. Have you had these?

Temp was down last night, min 12.3, cloudy, rain from about 04.30 but dry by 06.00, (steady but not heavy like yours Ken), no wind. provisional total comes out at 252 moths of 38 species with three new ones for me, Pale Prominent, Iron Prominent and Chocolate Tip. |<| Flame Shoulder was new for the year.

Brindled Pug (81)
Clouded Drab (24)
Lesser Swallow Prominent (21)
Hebrew Character (19)
E. subpurpurella (16)
Common Quaker (12)
Waved Umber (7)
Epinotia immundana (or tetraquetrana) (7)
Grey Pine Carpet (6)
Nut-tree Tussock (6)
Brindled Beauty (5)
Lunar Marbled Brown (4)
Frosted Green (3)
Swallow Prominent (3)
Great Prominent (3)
Brimstone Moth (3)
Purple Thorn (3)
E. sparrmanella (3)
Dwarf Pug (2)
Engrailed (2)
Lobster Moth (2)
Pine Beauty (2)
Water Carpet (2)
Elachista rufocinerea (2)
Scalloped Hook-tip (1)
Pale Prominent (1)
Iron Prominent (1)
Chocolate Tip (1)
Flame Shoulder (1)
Early Thorn (1)
Acleris hastiana (1)
Pebble Prominent (1)
Coxcomb Prominent (1)
March Moth (1)
White Ermine (1)
Pale Pinion (1)
Twenty-plume Moth
(1)
Unid'd micro (1)

Any ideas on the micro, plus one from yesterday, gratefully received as usual. Yesterday's has a little orangey tuft on its head, which might be a help.

Pete H

Attachments

• Micro 6011t.jpg
    Micro 6011t.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Micro 6006t.jpg
    Micro 6006t.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
These records from 30 Apr.

Esperia sulphurella flying around in the daytime - a day earlier than last year.

Combined list from two traps. * = year first.

0648 White-shouldered House-moth (Endrosis sarcitrella), 2
*1288 Twenty-plume Moth (Alucita hexadactyla), 1
1651 Chinese Character (Cilix glaucata), 3
*1724 Red Twin-spot Carpet (Xanthorhoe spadicearia), 2
*1760 Red-green Carpet (Chloroclysta siterata), 1
1906 Brimstone Moth (Opisthograptis luteolata), 3
1936 Waved Umber (Menophra abruptaria), 2
*1979 Lime Hawk-moth (Mimas tiliae), 2
*2007 Swallow Prominent (Pheosia tremula), 6
*2011 Pale Prominent (Pterostoma palpina), 1
2063 Muslin Moth (Diaphora mendica), 1
*2078 Least Black Arches (Nola confusalis), 1
*2102 Flame Shoulder (Ochropleura plecta), 1
2190 Hebrew Character (Orthosia gothica), 2
2243 Early Grey (Xylocampa areola), 1
2306 Angle Shades (Phlogophora meticulosa), 1
Hawthorn Shieldbug (Acanthosoma haemorrhoidale), 1

Pics to follow.

Edit: Forgot a couple of pugs, which are going for gen det.
Also added a bit.

Last edited:
Least Black Arches

Thanks Brian, that's another macro on the list. It takes a bit of getting used to making yourself look at Waring/Skinner for little moths. It's even worse than finding that a largish moth is a micro. Put it down to experience.

Can't wait to find a Lime Hawkmoth in one of my traps. Its good to see you're catching.

All the best

Pete H

I put the actinic on for a couple of hours last night and got just one new for year--pale prominent.
Ken

Attachments

• pale_prominent1.jpg
    pale_prominent1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 41
Pete Haynes said:
Unid'd micro (1)

Any ideas on the micro, plus one from yesterday, gratefully received as usual. Yesterday's has a little orangey tuft on its head, which might be a help.

Pete H

Getting a bit behind here...Batia unitella.

Pete Haynes said:
Angus,
Thanks for the reply on the Caloptilia stigmatella. I've looked through UK Moths and there are two others that look a better coloration C. alchinella and C. robustella. Unfortunately it seems that they are the sort that need gen dets for separation. Have you had these?
Pete H

Pete

I would agree that it is either C.alchimella or robustella.

Mike

Records from BP and help needed!!

Dear Friends
Some great pictures and very helpful insights developing on this thread, which I've been watching, like Harry earlier, feeling rather envious, as Budapest weather has been weird lately, with the daytime temperature moving into the teens, but the nights still going down around 5C. Anyway, as of Friday, things seem to have started moving in the right direction. The balcony is now attracting Crane Flies, Mosquitoes, Lacewings...and ...HOORAY!!...a few moths at last.
Last Friday (29th April) saw me pick up the first Heart and Dart of the year (photo below)
Sunday (1st May) brought the extremely lovely Dewick's Plusia (photo below).
Last night (2nd May) the first question: what is the third one (2 photos) ? I can't pinpoint it, despite the fairly distinctive half-moon and dot marks, and the interesting 'batman' pattern in the centre!! Any suggestions?

Secondly, the Plusia left me a jar full of eggs. I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions about what I should do with them in order to raise them to adulthood?

Very best

David

Attachments

• 2005_0502_105215AA.JPG
    2005_0502_105215AA.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 2005_0502_105102AA.JPG
    2005_0502_105102AA.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 2005_0503_101503AA.JPG
    2005_0503_101503AA.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 2005_0503_101600AA.JPG
    2005_0503_101600AA.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 80
Elton moths, 2 May

That plusia looks great.

Just a few for me last night including the first Shuttle-shaped Dart (Agrotis puta) and Poplar Hawk (Laothoe populi) of the year and a first for the garden, which I thought was Diamond-back Moth (Plutella xylostella) for a minute but I think must be Plutella porrectella.

Attachments

• poplar_hawk_2may05_420.jpg
    poplar_hawk_2may05_420.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 59
  • shuttle-shaped_dart_2may05_420.jpg
    shuttle-shaped_dart_2may05_420.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 68
  • plutella_2may05_420a.jpg
    plutella_2may05_420a.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 80
  • plutella_2may05_420b.jpg
    plutella_2may05_420b.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 51
Thought folk might be intersted in a few higher res pics. Two different Lime Hawk-moths, a Poplar Hawk-moth, a Lime-hawk with a Purple Thorn and the cracking little micro Esperia sulphurella (well worth looking out for this fellow in the daytime).

Attachments

• lime_hawk_30apr05_640a.jpg
    lime_hawk_30apr05_640a.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 61
  • lime_hawk_30apr05_640b.jpg
    lime_hawk_30apr05_640b.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 62
  • poplar_hawk_2may05_640.jpg
    poplar_hawk_2may05_640.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 70
  • lime_hawk_purple_thorn_30apr05_640.jpg
    lime_hawk_purple_thorn_30apr05_640.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 84
  • esperia_sulphurella_30apr05_640.jpg
    esperia_sulphurella_30apr05_640.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Lovely Plusia

Dear Brian

yes - the Dewick's Plusia was really special. I saw it's silver wing-marks shining long before I could make out anything else of its shape. Of course, having UK books to work from, I was rather reluctant to call it that at first, because it's so rare in the UK. But then I looked at the Italian photo archive, and their 3rd picture was almost identical to this one. And, of course, it's a European species, with the couthern UK at the northern end of its range.

Your photos are fabulous. I still haven't seen Lime Hawkmoth here, despite the abundance of lime trees in the park. Does it come to light? Or did you just happen upon it, conveniently sitting next to the Purple Thorn, looking like models in a beauty show!! And the micro's a stunner, isn't it?

I wonder if you had any thoughts on my 3rd species?

Best

David

Both Lime Hawks were taken at light (one to 15W actinic, the other to 125W MV). The Purple Thorn also came to the actinic and got in on the action while I was settling several moths for photos.

I did take a look at your third moth but couldn't really get far with it. I've had another go and come up with Pale-shouldered Cloud (Chloantha hyperici) - first recorded in the UK in 1996!
http://jeffhiggott.topcities.com/lepidoptera/systematic_list/Noctuidae/2097a.html

MikeWall said:
Yeah, what colour was it really? ;) If it was a light buff, then Agonopterix yeatiana would be a possibility.
Ouch!
Thanks, Mike. I don't think it was as pale as the one shown on UKmoths but I don't have a good memory for these things. (The icecream container it decided to land on was certainly a somewhat paler blue!) It was one of those micros that won't stay still so I just took a shot when it finally settled on something. yeatiana certainly looks a reasonable possibility... as usual, it's a case of waiting to see if my CR accepts it or not. I notice on one site that Agonopterix angelicella looks similar, but is more richly coloured. Is that a possibility?

Ken

Last edited:
Surreybirder said:
Ouch!
Thanks, Mike. I don't think it was as pale as the one shown on UKmoths but I don't have a good memory for these things. (The icecream container it decided to land on was certainly a somewhat paler blue!) It was one of those micros that won't stay still so I just took a shot when it finally settled on something. yeatiana certainly looks a reasonable possibility... as usual, it's a case of waiting to see if my CR accepts it or not. I notice on one site that Agonopterix angelicella looks similar, but is more richly coloured. Is that a possibility?

Ken

Hi Ken...A.angelicella is not a species I've any first hand experience of, but this would still be a larva at this time of the year so it can be ruled out. Your moth seems to show a black-outlined white discal spot, and the other stigma look good for A.yeatiana. If you do have the ability to adjust the white balance on your camera, it's worth doing. Using a bit of creative playing I've changed your moth into a passable yeatiana ;) !

Mike

Attachments

• kenag.jpg
    kenag.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back