• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September Moths GB&I (2 Viewers)

smokenack

A good start to the month last night, moths included Vestal and two NFG Parectopa ononidis and what I believe is Ectoedemia louisella. Any reason why it shouldn't be?

Attachments

• DSCN4961 (2).JPG
    DSCN4961 (2).JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN4958 (2).JPG
    DSCN4958 (2).JPG
    252.8 KB · Views: 212
The first of the month was a decent day for migrant Lepidoptera with a Painted Lady to flowers in the centre of Bristol and our third Convolvulus Hawkmoth for the patch in the last two years in a friend's trap.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Convolvulus (reduced).jpg
    Convolvulus (reduced).jpg
    641.4 KB · Views: 207
All I'm getting is Large Yellow Underwings and Square-spot Rustics, oh to be near the coast!!!

Nottingham now just to say.

Andy

I've had a fairly slow start to the month with the catches mainly being made up of yellow underwings, setaceous Hebrew characters and square spot rustics. However I did turn up a Webb's wainscot which was a unexpected addition to the garden list.

Last night (NE London) with temps around 18c "windless" with low cloud cover, I was looking forward to some "action". However I was somewhat underwhelmed by the result considering the near perfect conditions. My return from my 15w UV and halogen in tandem till midnight resulted in 2 pug sp (too high up on the wall to ID), 2 Copper and 2 LYUndrwngs., 3 Light Emerald, 2 Setaceous Hebrew, 4 Brimstone, 2 Sq.Dot Rustic, 5 Hornets and a Carpet sp that got away!...anybody else get an "interesting" return?

Cheers

Hi Ken
I didn't run a trap but I've found that, in general, moth activity is much better after midnight. That said, hardly anything came to my lounge light via the open French windows - which was also a bit of a surprise.
Martin

I did OK here in Southend, Maidens Blush, Burnished Brass and Old Lady, all pretty scarce in my garden and Phyllonorycter geniculella NFG. The P.geniculella followed a P.acerifoliella/joannisi (still need to determine which, joannisi I think) on the 4th which was also NFG. Never had a white Phyllonorycter before and then two come along at once, and loads of L-album Wainscots, a garden speciality.

Attachments

• DSCN5013 (2).JPG
    DSCN5013 (2).JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN5017 (2).JPG
    DSCN5017 (2).JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Hi Ken
I didn't run a trap but I've found that, in general, moth activity is much better after midnight.
Martin

Exactly right Martin,
as my unorthodox method (open window in a porch) means that I have to attend the light every 10 mins or so, I have found over more than ten years that the peak of activity is between midnight and 0200. I get very little after 0200 so will often go to bed then as it's proven to be of no value staying up longer.

Andy

...and then, of course, you have to be up at 05:30 to beat the birds to the moths. Hardly worth turning in really.

David

From last night in South Hampshire:

Cypress Pug
Feathered Ranunculus
Vestal - a first for the garden
Yellow-barred Brindle
caloptilia alchimiella - a new one for me
Rush Veneer
3 Tachystola acroxantha
+ other common species.

Dave W

...and then, of course, you have to be up at 05:30 to beat the birds to the moths. Hardly worth turning in really.

David

Last night could only keep my eyes open till 10 minutes past the bewitching hour :-C however...volume increased by 500%, c40 moths of 15 species with a NFY Frosted Orange!

As a BTW...I had a Vestal (only my 2nd ever) on Aug.27th, a presumed immigrant?

Cheers

First Plumed Fan-foot for nearly a month last night. I had one on the 10th September last year so it looks like they're double brooded here. That's 24 I've recorded so far this year.

First Plumed Fan-foot for nearly a month last night. I had one on the 10th September last year so it looks like they're double brooded here. That's 24 I've recorded so far this year.

That would seem likely from the phenology chart on Hants moths - end June/start July then mid August to end October.
Martin

Sitting at home working on the laptop and a large, pale moth flew in through the open French doorsat 21.10.
A fresh-looking spcimen of Cydalima perspectalis - a new garden tick (see photo of moth setttled on ceiling - hence the slight blurring!).
Martin

Attachments

• Box-tree moth.jpg
    Box-tree moth.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 213
Sitting at home working on the laptop and a large, pale moth flew in through the open French doorsat 21.10.
A fresh-looking spcimen of Cydalima perspectalis - a new garden tick (see photo of moth setttled on ceiling - hence the slight blurring!).
Martin

Ditto to perspectalis this evening also a garden 1st... "in the kitchen"...a Small Blood-vein.

Cheers

Hi
Ran a trap at Barnes last night. Not very productive, unless you count wasps (c.25) and hornets (c.15)!
Just 37 species in total (89 specimens), the 'highlights' being one Bulrush Wainscot, Nonagria typhae (the first for several years) and a Box-tree moth, Cydalima perspectalis.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back