• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth Trap (which one & where to buy it) (1 Viewer)

Hello Reader,

The E601 and 602 boxed from Watkins and Doncaster are very well worth having as are a few plain boxes E6020. A dozen or two can be necessary at times.

Do varnish them externally, it does help prolong their life to a considerable degree, but don't use them for several days afterwards, until the smell has gone, otherwise you may kill any specimens you put in them.

If you do buy a net (always a good thing to have) you will find the net material a little stiff at first due to the 'dressing' that is applied during manufacture. After a few days of use this dressing wears off and the netting becomes very soft. Oddly putting it in the washing machine doesn't seem to remove the 'dressing' for some reason.

Harry

Sadly my progres is slow as I have not had a reply to a request for payment details and addresses for a few days. Getting impatient. Hopefully I will get something later tonight.

Andrew said:
Sadly my progres is slow as I have not had a reply to a request for payment details and addresses for a few days. Getting impatient. Hopefully I will get something later tonight.

Hi Andrew

As an aside. I noticed your letter in Birdwatching. Good points of view, yo expressed.

Andrew said:
What letter?! :h?:

Sent one yonks ago and did not think it would be used.

I shall nip down the shop tomorrow!

It's on page 44 entitled Hearing Problems.

It comes to something when the author is the 2nd person to know his work has been published, lol

Reader said:
Thanks Harry

I'm sure I have some clear varnish in the garage. Will that do.

Hello Reader,
I see no reason why not, as long as it hasn't been there for years and is now the consistancy of thick tar.
P.S. Don't forget to separate the bases from the tops before varnishing, otherwise you may have a problem opening them after they're dry. ;)

Harry

I have been looking into various options such as buying a better moth trap and have come to the momentous conclusion that I'll start by repairing the one I have (which has done me well).
The problem is that the vanes are wonky and one is missing. Please could someone answer these questions for me:
a) what is the best material to use to make the vanes (perspex, aluminium or what?) and what do you use to cut the material?? And where can you get it??
b) I have loads of something called polycarbonate, left over from when our conservatory roof was replaced. It's rather thick, but I think it would make a suitable lid for the trap (it's transluscent rather than transparent). What do you all think? And, again, what tool would I need to cut it, bearing in mind that I'll need to make a circular hole in the middle for the funnel?
Grateful for any advice. (I have no DIY experience that's relevant!)
Ken

mothman said:
This might be worth a look......It's a new one to me.

http://www.wwb.co.uk/shop/index.php/cPath/49
If you're in market for portability, perhaps, but in my experience NOT as an alternative to a garden Skinner or Robinson MV. This is with both MV and 40w actinic.
I acquired a large Moonlander with 40w actinic. I also used 125w MV in it. Generally the moths didn't go in, and I found it difficult to empty.

Little time to go into further info at moment.

mothman said:
This might be worth a look......It's a new one to me.

http://www.wwb.co.uk/shop/index.php/cPath/49

I don't know anyone who has used one of these traps personally and I haven't seen anything about it other than the 'promotional blurb'.

I note that it says that catches of upto 400 moths per night can be made in the tropics.

Having lived in Africa for a while, I can confidently say you can catch far more moths at night using an ordinary 125W household light bulb in a room. All you do is open the windows and watch them stream in.

Harry

Surreybirder said:
Along with masses of mosquitoes!

...and praying mantis (big jobbies), hornets, beetles, lots of other interesting insects and the occasional vervet monkey if the window was open too far.

Luv it, as long I'm sleeping under a mossie net. Unfortunately, my ex-wife saw things differently and would get very annoyed if I "accidentally" left a window open with the light on... she never did understand me lol.
Gary

harry eales said:
I don't know anyone who has used one of these traps personally and I haven't seen anything about it other than the 'promotional blurb'.

I note that it says that catches of upto 400 moths per night can be made in the tropics.

Having lived in Africa for a while, I can confidently say you can catch far more moths at night using an ordinary 125W household light bulb in a room. All you do is open the windows and watch them stream in.

Harry
I wonder if they meant to say 400 species?

I've only used the nests of 4 card boxes (E602), plastic lidded boxes (E6041) and push fit glass tubes (E60535). The latter are not suitable for storage but are handy for collecting and photographing small moths.

Brian, I was just rereading this old thread for nostalgia - it's a great thread! I was interested that you photo micros inside the glass tubes as I've had a lot of trouble getting photos of some species. Doesn't photoing them through the sides of a circular tube cause focus problems?
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back