• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identifying song bird (1 Viewer)

Robina

I live in the South of England and the past few days, especially early mornings, I hear a bird song which isn't familiar to me. The problem is I haven't seen it yet, but the call is something like repeating of the words "Herdy Gerdy" with singing in between.

I know there are a lot of clever bird people out there, and it will be lovely to find out. Thanks

Robina

I live in the South of England and the past few days, especially early mornings, I hear a bird song which isn't familiar to me. The problem is I haven't seen it yet, but the call is something like repeating of the words "Herdy Gerdy" with singing in between.

I know there are a lot of clever bird people out there, and it will be lovely to find out. Thanks

Robina

Sounds familiar, but I just can't place it right now... (been inundated with serin and black redstart songs since I moved...)

Thanks for all your replies. Just listened to the Golden Oriole, but sadly it didn't sound the same. I know it's not a Song Trush. They really sing their hearts out. I tend to hear it early mornings mostly.

Robina

Shame...it was a stab in the dark though.

Try listening to all the garden birds on the link that I previously posted. Each letter on the top-right of the screen will list UK birds and calls. I'm curious to know now, so please post when you find out.

Hello Neil,

I have gone through the A-Z list leaving out the water birds and the little birds, but sadly no luck. Have still not seen it yet. It's sounds more like a song bird then anything, the Song Thrush coming quite close to it.

Liked your website my the way.

Robina

I haven't heard the mystery bird anymore. Must have flown to pastures new. Although it's pretty good round here. My feathered friends are all fed and watered well, also I lift up old logs, etc, so they can find grubs, especially this dry weather. We haven't had any rain for over a month, except for one short spell. So many birds are feeding their young at the moment.

I Mystery bird, Idon't think it was a small bird like the Dunnock. We do have quite a few here, and not sure about the Blackbird.

We have a Blackbird nest in our concrete mixer, I have seen them flying back and forth with food, but I was rather concerned the other day, as the concrete mixer is in where our chickens are, and sometimes they tend to jump into the mixer. So I have rigged up some thick string to cut across the opening, so the Blackbirds can have some peace.

Robina

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back