• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Report images in the Gallery with the wrong scientific name (1 Viewer)

I have now been given editing privilige for images as well, as can be seen in this image http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=215469. Have you routinely left a comment saying that you have corrected a spelling mistake, or have you figured that no-one will mind?

Cheers
Niels

No I just correct the error and leave it at that. Usually it's just a typo though several times now when I've Googled a name given it's an alternate spelling which Opus doesn't pick up. If it's an alternate scientific name for the bird such as renamed/classified then I leave the original in place and add the new one separated by a comma, always putting the Opus one in front.

Many don't have the time/inclination to add the scientific name and no one's complained yet about it being added ;)

Bird Foum isn't about correcting spellings and grammar and pointing out mistakes, members come here to enjoy themselves rather than receive criticism. I generally find people don't like being told when they've made a mistake even if well intentioned - a few members on another thread have even left Bird Forum after someone picked up on their spelling!

No I just correct the error and leave it at that. Usually it's just a typo though several times now when I've Googled a name given it's an alternate spelling which Opus doesn't pick up. If it's an alternate scientific name for the bird such as renamed/classified then I leave the original in place and add the new one separated by a comma, always putting the Opus one in front.

Many don't have the time/inclination to add the scientific name and no one's complained yet about it being added ;)

Bird Foum isn't about correcting spellings and grammar and pointing out mistakes, members come here to enjoy themselves rather than receive criticism. I generally find people don't like being told when they've made a mistake even if well intentioned - a few members on another thread have even left Bird Forum after someone picked up on their spelling!

Ian,
Thanks for your thoughts :t:
I will avoid leaving a note about correcting mistakes.

When there is a common misspelling of a name, it can be worth it to make a redirect in Opus as well, as I did yesterday for Megarhynchus (should be Megarynchus according to SACC, but for example Restall uses the other spelling). The only member of this genus is Boat-billed Flycatcher. The search term became "ynchus+pitangua", and that still seemed specific enough that only members of this species was picked up.

Niels

We generally leave the titles as they were especially when someone has come onto the thread to confirm/correct ID. Amending the scientific/keywords is okay though.

If it had been a more recent upload I'd have added comment on it to confirm the changes as it's such a biggy rather than just ading info.

We generally leave the titles as they were especially when someone has come onto the thread to confirm/correct ID. Amending the scientific/keywords is okay though.

If it had been a more recent upload I'd have added comment on it to confirm the changes as it's such a biggy rather than just ading info.

Sorry, Ian. I'll slap myself on the wrists and make sure I don't do it again :eek!:

That seems to be OK. Amur Falcon was at one time lumped with Redfooted falcon according to Avibase, and after the split, someone have used Eastern and Western Red-footed Falcon for the two forms according to the section on alternative names in Avibase.

I just now noticed the "not sure of id" notice. I will make a thread in the id forum, there may be new information since 2006 when Cuckooroller answered that it could not be done ;)

Niels

That seems to be OK. Amur Falcon was at one time lumped with Redfooted falcon according to Avibase, and after the split, someone have used Eastern and Western Red-footed Falcon for the two forms according to the section on alternative names in Avibase.

I just now noticed the "not sure of id" notice. I will make a thread in the id forum, there may be new information since 2006 when Cuckooroller answered that it could not be done ;)

Niels

Thanks Niels... it may help to make some members feel a bit better about the Tophill Law bird:-O

D

Could someone check this one out please

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=87150

It's titled Eastern Red-footed Falcon, but has the scientific name for Amur Falcon. D

I just checked an online world bird guide (MangoVerde) and the name Eastern Red-footed Falcon is an alternative for Amur Falcon. There is a separate species: Western Red-footed Falcon (Falco vespertinus), usually just called Red-footed Falcon, which winters in SW Africa, S from Angola, Namibia, N South Africa, Botswana to Zimbabwe and Zambia. The male falcon of both species look as though they'd be very difficult to tell apart.

EDIT: didn't see Niels' post while I was researching for mine!

Last edited:
Yes, Mybs used the name used in South African field guides until recently (Eastern Red-footed Kestrel); we have only been using the name Amur Falcon since the horse-trading involved in the IOC common names project. In eastern Southern Africa, the Amur Falcon Falco amurensis is far more common than the Red-footed (Compare http://sabap2.adu.org.za/species_maps.php?Spp=119 and http://sabap2.adu.org.za/species_maps.php?Spp=120. Kruger Park is in the extreme north-east of South Africa, so the bird is probably an Amur Falcon, but Cuckooroller correctly indicates that one cannot be sure from the photo alone, as Red-footed Falcons have been seen there.

The Amurs should be here soon; I will have to work on getting a photo of a male that is definitely not a Red-footed ;)

Last edited:
Varied Thrush should be Ixoreus naevius instead of Zoothera naevius. This would match everyones treatment except S&M.

André

Last edited:
Okay, there were quite a few so I changed where appropriate and filled in the scientific name where missing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back