• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Nest Box UK - Size Question (1 Viewer)

piatti

Hi,

I am thinking of purchasing some bird boxes, I have seen some really nice ones on a popular auction website.
The description states:
Suitable Blue/Great Tits Sparrows Finch Coal Tits Pied Fly

The Dimensions are:
Height 6 inches
Width 4 inches
Depth 3.5 inches

Are these dimensions OK ?
They seem a bit on the small side to me

Regards

Piatti

Yes, they seem small.
May I suggest you purchase them from an establishment such as your local wildlife trust, not only will you be sure of the correct size box and entrance hole but will also be contributing to conservation in your area. It's also a good idea to work out how many to put up and where best to site them.
Good luck

Apart from size, siting can be critical. Make sure they are high enough and away from any features that would give access to the local moggies. I had one on my garage wall for years and despite a couple of tentative looks from blue and coal tits it remained stubbornly unoccupied year after year. I did spy a neighbour's cat walking on the flat roof of the garage so I moved it onto the main house wall. Within a fortnight we had a pair of Wrens take up residence. It may have been the cat, but I think more likely that where I moved it to was a south facing wall which got more sun than the partially shaded and east facing wall where it was previously located.

Not sure about a southern aspect unless shaded as there is the potential for nestlings to overheat in sunny weather.

BTO have a good book available on this subject.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back