• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small bush birds - Brisbane (1 Viewer)

Cutterpillar

Alexander
Have seen these for the first time.
Were moving in a playful fashion amongst dense forestation, so excuse the quality of pictures. Assuming both birds are the same species, but I may be wrong.
Any ideas on what these are?

Attachments

• IMG_3716_ID.jpg
    IMG_3716_ID.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3701_ID.jpg
    IMG_3701_ID.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 114
I would think the first one is female Leaden Flycatcher. The second one is a different species, I think, and I regret that little brown jobs in Australia are beyond such competence as I have.

Agree with Leaden Flycatcher for #1 (with the caveat that a similar sp might be in range, in which case habitat could be a clue). #2 is hard from the blurred image, but maybe a gerygone, though it is perhaps a bit bulky? again habitat could be a good clue.

habitat: swampy forest with plenty of tall and small trees. These were captured in a same spot right next to the water edge.

Last edited:
Six trips to Australia, and quite a long list - five species of Fairy-wren, for example - but still have never seen one of this 'common, very widespread' species.

I was also surprised not to find Jacky Winters popping out of every bush in the land of Oz. Maybe it's something about the homely sounding name too, that makes you think they're gonna be common (like Willie Wagtail, which is common)

Last edited:
Large-billed idea works, but I would like to suggest both birds are Broad-billed Flycatchers male + female!

1. According to my book, Broad-billed Flycatcher doesn't get outside the far north of Queensland - nowhere near Brisbane at all.

2. The female and the male of this species are similar to each other, and similar to female Leaden Flycatcher, so your second bird couldn't be the female of Broad-billed.

Interesting image, but it's of a bird in south america.

The first bird is a monarch flycatcher, and must surely be Leaden (though with an image as unclear as this, Satin might be a possibility on migration). Broad-billed is out of range.

For the other bird, well spotted, it does look as though Large-billed Gerygone is out of range too. I'm still not sure about that one, maybe it is a Jacky Winter after all, as I do think it looks too bulky for a gerygone. It's 3 Billion per cent certain that it isn't a monarch flycatcher, and is only very distantly related to the first bird.

Overwhelming probability of it being Leaden Fly at that site;
Good point about Large-billed, I should have checked where you were, so try Brown Gerygone, seems to fit pretty well

Agree with Leaden Flycatcher for first.

Did we get a confirmation (or not!) of whether site was coastal or not? It looks quite pale for a Brown Gerygone to me, Mangrove is a possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back