• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DIY Gimbal (1 Viewer)

tomkeet

For those who may be interested, I built this head a month or so ago to support my Pentax SMC 500mm f4.5 or Sigma 50-500mm lenses after buying a Manfrotto 393. At least I can support both now.

Attachments

• _IGP6759-1-1.jpg
    _IGP6759-1-1.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 2,906
That looks right nice. You must have access to a metal shop or tools to do such a nice job. I recognize the Manfrotto 357 quick release, the same as comes on the 393, which I also have (http://naturephotography.fredhurteau.com/EquipmentNotes.htm#357).

I like the failsafe spring lock that insures once the plate is in, it stays in even if it's not tightened. What sort of bushings did you use to keep the lock/tension knobs working smooth, especially the tripod pivot head?

For those who may be interested, I built this head a month or so ago to support my Pentax SMC 500mm f4.5 or Sigma 50-500mm lenses after buying a Manfrotto 393. At least I can support both now.
Excellent work! I take it your an engineer? it looks very similar to an old head i had before getting the wimberley although yours looks like a much sturdier item (my old one used to bend under the weight of my Bigma set-up)
Brian

Thank for your comments OXBGuide, Claymore.
I modified the Tripod pivot head bush the other day by replacing it with an old Manfrotto 115 head base. The one in the picture was made from scratch. Also lowered the main arm (3cm) and shortened camera/lens arm by 2cm.
PTFE washers and needle thrust bearings with Disc Spring Washers were use to keep things as smooth as possible.
The main arm to camera/lens bearing has Needle roller bearings.
Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back