• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Martin Mere, Mere Sands and around the area (1 Viewer)

sleipnerofasgard

Managed to get out and about sunday, The Spoonbill at Martin Mere had already flown the coop by sunday, but still three Green Sandpipers knocking around Raines and Hale hides, not going to dwell to long with reports as they have their own sightings on the website, but Andy at the Infocus shop tipped me of about the Yellow Wagtail on Curlew lane, so i spent a happy couple of hours there watching flocks of Corn Buntings, Linnets, Goldfinch and Skylarks aplenty.
The Yellow Wag turned up almost immediateley and showed well, even having a bath in a puddle and feeding along the edge of the path, Grey and Pied knocking about too, even spotted my first ever Emperor around the muddy edges before heading off to Mere Sands, alas the Hobbies have been flushed by a persistent Sprawk and not been seen for three days, got my first grainy pic of a female Blackcap hidden by undergrowth:-C but after a couple of hours the Kingfisher duly arrived after a couple of nearly but not quites it performed well although the light was bad it was flying off the perch and hovering just in front of me but couldn't quite get the manual focus onto it ,oh well, next time

Frank

Attachments

• Yellow Wagtail 2.jpg
    Yellow Wagtail 2.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 294
  • Jump shot.jpg
    Jump shot.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 319
  • Female Blackcap.jpg
    Female Blackcap.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 279
Didn't get to Martin Mere yesterday, but had another look for the Yellow Wagtail, which was still around the same spot, along with all the previous birds from last week, Mere Sands was quiet early on, though i did improve my female Blackcap pics, and after a trip to the visitors centre, was told that a couple of Common Terns had been milling around the float for several days, but they had vanished by the time i arrived, typically.
Went back down to Rufford hide and after about three hours and a fly bye here and there, the resident Kingfisher deined to join us on a more permanent visit, time to get some hovering practise and manual focus efforts in

Attachments

• Blackcap female.jpg
    Blackcap female.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 215
  • Kingfisher in flight.jpg
    Kingfisher in flight.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 310
  • Hover3.jpg
    Hover3.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 263
  • Kingfisher.jpg
    Kingfisher.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 311
  • Yellow Wagtail.jpg
    Yellow Wagtail.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 267
Hi whereabouts on curlew lane is the yellow wagtail showing?seen them twice this year on the ribble ,but would love a pic.....!:t:

mere sands

hi
could you possibly tell me what are the access times to the hides
at mere sands is it just when the visitor centre is open or anytime.
would love to get some kf shots what would b a suitable size lens
to get a reasonable close up
cheers steve

The hides are open anytime, so you could get there for eight am and stay as late as you like, the only exception is the one behind the visitors centre which is of course dependant on the centre being open

Frank

The hides are open anytime, so you could get there for eight am and stay as late as you like, the only exception is the one behind the visitors centre which is of course dependant on the centre being open

Frank

Not strictly true. The hides do remain open but the carpark is not accessible until sort 0f 9:00am ish and is locked at 8:00pm. But you can indeed walk on to the reserve anytime though.

Not strictly true. The hides do remain open but the carpark is not accessible until sort 0f 9:00am ish and is locked at 8:00pm. But you can indeed walk on to the reserve anytime though.

Sorry about that Jaff, you are right about the car park, that is me being a non driver and forgetting about cars:brains:

Some really nice pics there!

Based on yr post I popped in to Mere Sands Wood yesterday evening on my way to Fleetwood on business. What a lovely reserve! Thanks for the info. I thought it a much nicer place to visit than Martin Mere, which at £8.75 was a bit extortionate! Although it was nice to see quite a few avocets & ringed plovers there.

My highlight though was a treecreeper outside the Rufford hide which put on a very nice display for me.

Anyway, I was stupid enough to leave the cap for my Leica eyepeice in one of the hides probably Rufford, but possibly Marshall or Redwing. If any one of you is going there in the next few days and finds it, could you kindly pm me? I have also emailed the reserve in case it turns up.

Many thanks & thanks again for the info on this lovely reserve! Might post a vid of the treecreeper later on.

Shit hot directions..........hehe ,hope i see it.Thanx!
Thanx mate got this shot of a yellow wagtail,know what you mean about spending time there......was going to go to mere sands but thought stuff it...i will stay here...!Birds everywhere.......!but it started to piss down ..so off i went...!Deffo going to be checking manure heaps out from now on....!:t:

Attachments

• DSC00097.JPG
    DSC00097.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 266
Thanx mate got this shot of a yellow wagtail,know what you mean about spending time there......was going to go to mere sands but thought stuff it...i will stay here...!Birds everywhere.......!but it started to piss down ..so off i went...!Deffo going to be checking manure heaps out from now on....!:t:

My mate reported at least four yellow wags around there on sunday so the odds of seeing one are greatly increased, will have my last look this saturday before going to scotland on sunday, four nights on Mull and three at Loch Morlich, cannot wait:t:

Frank

Had a quick look round this afternoon, Yellow Wags still in same place, new developments at Mere Sands Wood where a fence has been erected to protect some planting on the island which has led to a frenzy of Kingfisher activity8-P:-O there are about twenty posts involved in the building of the fence with plenty being used by both birds for diving fishing and perching, but a long lens is required to get anything decent but i still triedo:D

Frank

Attachments

• Take off.jpg
    Take off.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 238
  • Strike.jpg
    Strike.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 222
  • Halcyon days.jpg
    Halcyon days.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 252
Had a quick jaunt down to Mere Sands this afternoon, my first outing since my week in Scotland, and it's Kingfisher action all the way their, with a recent fledging, not sure what the first one is eating, looks kind of crayfishy:eat:
the rest is sibling rivalry

Frank

Attachments

• Feast.jpg
    Feast.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 275
  • Incoming.jpg
    Incoming.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 237
  • All change.jpg
    All change.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 234
  • Comin around again.jpg
    Comin around again.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 226
  • Get off my cloud.jpg
    Get off my cloud.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 267
I've somehow previously managed to miss these photos - stunners one & all(Frank?), very well captured & keep them coming :t::clap:

Going to make my first trip to Mere Sands tomorrow, weather permitting. Can someone point me to the best hide for kingfishers please?

Cheers

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back