• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with Panasonic G7 - Best Lens? (1 Viewer)

Linfordbirder

Hi Guys,
Just achieved the lofty heights of a Panasonic G7, from my heady days with my trusty Nikon P6000.

I'm impressed by the results handholding the kit lens to my Nikon ED82 with the Wide 30x DS eyepiece. But I seem to be seeing most people are using the 20mm F1.7 prime for digiscoping on the micro 4/3 cameras.

Anyone advise me as to the best lens to buy? And anybody using the Leica 25mm F1.4 or anything else?

Any recommendations for connecting the camera with lens to a Nikon ED82 to enable use of both the zoom eyepiece and the wider DS 30x wide eyepiece?

Cheers

Hi Guys,
Just achieved the lofty heights of a Panasonic G7, from my heady days with my trusty Nikon P6000.

I'm impressed by the results handholding the kit lens to my Nikon ED82 with the Wide 30x DS eyepiece. But I seem to be seeing most people are using the 20mm F1.7 prime for digiscoping on the micro 4/3 cameras.

Anyone advise me as to the best lens to buy? And anybody using the Leica 25mm F1.4 or anything else?

Any recommendations for connecting the camera with lens to a Nikon ED82 to enable use of both the zoom eyepiece and the wider DS 30x wide eyepiece?

Steve,
The 20/1.7 lens is a good digiscoping lens, although not internally focusing, so many people only use manual focusing to avoid the lens element hitting the eyepiece. They have to be close to reduce vignetting. I like the Sigma 30/2.8 which is internally focusing and no vignetting issues but of course it's 50% longer focal length. I like it out on the mudflats with birds at distance.
The Panasonic/Leica 25/1.4 is sharper and faster than both these two and is also internally focusing but does suffer with slight vignetting with most eyepieces.
If you want to invest in a Digidapter for your scope then have a look at the Sigma as it gets you way out there. Too much magnification for garden digiscoping though.
Hope this helps,
Neil.

That's a very helpful post from Neil :t:

I currently use the 20mm/f1.7, primarily for digiscoping over a reservoir or flats where approach would scare the bird away. The results can be very good but I often wish I had more reach. The recommendation of the 25 or 30mm might be the way to go if the distances are large.
Good luck
Hobbes

Thanks Neil and Hobbes.

Hadn't seen the Sigma 30 Neil. I'll check that out and distant mud flats are very much my patch requirement. I have a bridge camera for the garden so no worries there.

The digidapter looks a great piece of kit but wouldnt work for me as I want the option of the zoom lens for my D82 as well as the DS30x. Currently playing with a couple of adapters for the eyepieces and adapting them to a 46mm filter thread.

Does the 30mm Sigma have a metal or plastic filter thread?

Steve

ps. I've also have an ED50 Nikon and a lumix 200mm zoom which also reduces focal length for a nice garden variation.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back