• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I need some Swift help please... (1 Viewer)

scottbailon

I have three pairs of Swift binoculars I need some more information on. They are:

Sea Hawk Mk II
6x30
Model no 761
No. 1-65471
jb 2(?) je 46

In pretty good shape, some dings. Right plastic eye cup falls come off some times if I screw it up to much. Carrying case is ok.

Night Hawk 7x50
model No. 787
no. 7-35740
No Japanese markings
In good shape

Triton 7x35
model No. 748
No. 4-62506
JB 26 JE46 markings on the front.
Just got these, still evaluating them.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Scott

Hello Scott,

Welcome aboard.

What information are you looking for?

The serial numbers show that the Sea Hawk and Triton were manufactured in 1965 and 1962, respectively, by Futaba Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd. (The metalwork was done by Otsuka Kogaku Co. Ltd., Tokyo.)

Ed

Last edited:
I was curious about when the Night Hawks were made, and I found it curious that the Japanese marking weren't on them. I was also wondering which pair would be considered the best of my group. The Sea Hawks are sweet.....

Thanks for the info,

Scott

The 787 Nighthawk is an individual focus Z model listed in the 1968 Swift catalog (altho not pictured). The 788 Nighthawk was a slightly heavier Z model with center focus. [Z models used 'Zeiss' or german pattern bodies.] They were made by Katsuma and retailed for $58.50 and $63.99, respectively. The flagship Audubon sold for $132.00.

The 761 Sea Hawk and Triton were American pattern binoculars (after Bausch & Lomb) also listed in the 1969 catalog at $82.60 and $57.75, respectively.

So you have three moderately priced Swift binoculars from that era.

Hope it helps. Enjoy
Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back