• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (1 Viewer)

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. Hugh, I had read previously about the holes being blocked up at the hotel, such a shame. Great to hear that Christina had one at La Gola Mike, that means there is hope!! Really can’t wait to get back across it was so good last year.

James

I think in the north the best place to hear and seen scops owl is at Son Bosc, the little road from the Depuradora (it is also a very good place) to the main road, where the Bus store building.
At sunset the poles on one of the sides of this small road are very good to see (not only listen) the owls

Attachments

• 088 Mussol.jpg
    088 Mussol.jpg
    983.8 KB · Views: 73
Hello, after a wonderful first trip to Puerto Pollensa last year, I’m going to be back for a week this spring. One of the species I missed last year was Scops Owl. Does anyone know if there were/ are any near Puerto Pollensa? I checked unsuccessfully the sites mentioned in the Gosney guide.

The fence of depuradora is algo a good place at night, all this area of Son Bosc-Depuradora is very good.

Attachments

• 15874880_10157990712375463_5776332877127206004_o.jpg
    15874880_10157990712375463_5776332877127206004_o.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 61
Josep, hello, we met at Depuradora just a few weeks ago after you had been to the doghouse. Yes, a male yellowhammer in the woods at Son Real. I didn't think it was anything special as I see hundreds of them at home. It was fairly close by in a tree near to the drinking pond next to the hide, very yellow especially the head. I don't know what else it could have been. Sorry no photos
David

As long as it wasn't a Serin (which are common), I guess you're fine

Hello!
It has been great to read all the posts related to Scops Owl. Thank you. I think I can`t add any more info ;)
Well, actually I can. Please, do a responsible use of the tape and just if you really really really need it.

More info. You can consult and download the last bird list of la Gola. If you have seen birds which are not in the list in that period please email me.
[email protected].
https://www.ctolagola.com/birdlist-listado-de-aves-llistat-d-aus/

Remind you that I also have copies of s'Albufereta bird list.

Cheers,
Cristina.

Back in Majorca for our annual spring visit,weather has been total pants since arriving Monday pm but bird wise excellent as per the norm.
Visits to Albufera Albufereta and Boquer Finca so far between very heavy rain and hail showers plus gale force winds.
Plenty of waders at the former site with the usual Avocets,Spotted Redshank,Greenshank,Green Sand,Slilts,Massive numbers of Kentish Plovers.
Two Garganey were on Sa Roca but well over the far side by reeds.
Lots of Yellow Wagtail about and distant Osprey eating fish.
Surprised at the lack of Hirundines present this year as this time last year I had Alpine,Common Swifts plus RR Swallow,only Crag Martin and Swallow seen so far.
Did get nice view of Hen Harrier and a flock of Flamingo coming in at Albufereta yesterday evening which brightened up a bitter cold few hours around about the viewing tower.
Looking unsettled again this morning but weather due to sort itself out come Friday we hope.
I shall try and keep posting here as to what we manage to see over the next week but so great to be back even though weather has put a bit of a dampener on things lol

Cheers

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 84
  • AdobePhotoshopExpress_2019_03_21_07:04:14.jpg
    AdobePhotoshopExpress_2019_03_21_07:04:14.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 44
Hi Bob. Thanks for your usual high standard of photos although I’m sorry about the weather. It has been a perfect climate for tourists so far this year but not for birders.
Its good to be back although the wild flowers are disappointing, maybe due to the lack of water.
Lots of action today it seems, Larus fuscus at Cuitat jardí.
Also Pep found a Brambling, the only one I know of this year so far. There are some irrumptive years for this species and Hawfinch too but this year ain’t one of them sadly.
Let’s see what the weekend brings. Easterlies may spice things up a bit.
I am on a walk looking at orchids at Mondragó tomorrow morning.
Mike

Mike
We can't really complain about the weather as we did have two lovely spells in March 17 & 18 so it was just a matter of time before we hit a bad patch.
Today is nice and warm with clear sky's so back to normal.
Just in from an early morning mooch around The Dog House and Son Bosc, highlight of the morning being two Flamingo which circled over close above us at the Aramadore decking tower.
We were down your neck of the woods yesterday for a quick visit,a stop at the elevated castle just outside Felanitx in hope of the Alpine Swifts being about but it must be too early for them, we did see Wryneck there and lots of Crag Martin and distant Blue Rock Thrush,well worth a visit for the view alone though but .
Next stop was a wander along Eddies Track ,lots of Marsh Harrier and Garganey was the most common duck there with a large flock flying about the whole time we were there, not much Wader wise with Avocet,Stilts ,Snipe and Sandpipers being the only ones on view.
Bird of the day being a very Low flying Black Vulture at the Inca Turnoff from the main Palma Road.
Red Kites were numerous as were Booted Eagle on the drive South too.
Forgot to add on my previous post that there are still at least two Alpine Accentors at the Formentor Viewpoint but the morning we went was so windy that you could hardly stand on two feet.
Also had a good look around Pollentia Hotel backlane area to try and pick up Scops Owl Monday night but no joy of seeing birds and no calls heard either.
Had some really close views of Water Pipits at Albufera late Thursday and a quick look around Albufereta yesterday evening in the hope of seeing the Hen Harrier again but it looks like it may have moved on and the whole area seemed very quiet as was The Can Cuerassa area too.
Just staying local today as roads busy but planning visit to Morttix next week and maybe a bit higher weather permitting.
Shall keep all updated as per usual

Bob

Casas Vellas seems to have been very productive today as I thought it might be after some strong easterlies. 6 Sparrowhawk, 1 Egyptian Vulture, 2 Red Kite, 6 Marsh Harrier, 1 Common Kestrel and 2 Common Buzzard.
Thanks to Lalo for the information.
Jet-lag prevented me from going so a gentle and very productive stroll around my local park at Mondragó felt more appropriate. Many species of orchids are on show but very few birds were logged.
Mike

Very strange morning today,as planned we headed up to the Formentor Mirador viewpoint before breakfast to look for the Alpine Accentors.
Bird on view as we parked up and managed a few shots before it launched itself back over the cliff.
Then we heard a noise which sounded like a goat calling but on looking closer we saw a girl lying on a ledge below us.
Had to flag down a passing local cyclist who called the Emergency Service.
When we left the mountain rescue were just setting up their gear to go and recover her.
Just hope all ended up ok.
On leaving I could not believe it when We spotted a car towing a caravan coming down the winding road opposite from the Albercutx tower,bit of an eye opener to say the least.
Hope the rest of the day pans out a tad better lol

Bob

Attachments

• AdobePhotoshopExpress_2019_03_24_10:40:33.jpg
    AdobePhotoshopExpress_2019_03_24_10:40:33.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 48
  • AdobePhotoshopExpress_2019_03_24_10:42:11.jpg
    AdobePhotoshopExpress_2019_03_24_10:42:11.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 110
An eventful morning Bob, to say the least. I hope the outcome was ok for all concerned.
I’m sorry to say it’s a spot for jumpers so I sincerely hope that wasn’t the case.
I will no doubt read about it in the papers so I will let you know. Well done for possibly saving her life.
I was on my way to the tower but couldn’t make it so I turned round and went to the Salines instead. Nothing much of note there but Jordi found two adult Slender-billed gulls at the Salines de S’Avall. I wish I had seen them.
I will probably hear later that a good day was had by all at the tower.
Many birders won’t go there because of the steep and scary inclines so to take a caravan up there seems like lunacy to me.
Mike

It was indeed a good day at the tower.
2 Sparrowhawk
1 Osprey
11 Marsh Harrier
1 Red Kite
1Common Kestrel
2 Booted Eagle
1 possible Goshawk.
Thanks Lalo
Mike

Mike
Yes the reception at the hotel told us about that area being a bad spot for jumpers , it's so sad to think some people decide to end it that way.
I do take my hat off to the Guardia policeman who climbed down to comfort the woman,I could not watch as the cliff was crumbling around him.
Back to the birds and we had some great views of two Spoonbill from Sa Roca hide yesterday evening.
First I have seen at Albufera and fun to watch as they kept getting spooked into flight off the Marsh Harrier.
At one point a Frog or a Crayfish was caught by one of them and all kinds of squabbling panned out.
Also first sighting of Glossy Ibis which were also put to flight by same Harrier.
Today we had a look up at Mortitx and as always it did not disappoint.
Views of Black & Griffon Vultures from the Frog Dam and a nice fly through Bonelies Eagle too,the latter was sporting red tags to its leg going by a quick look at the shots.
Watched a female Crossbill nest building too with the male bird looking on.
Back down at ground level a few singing Male Cirl Buntings on the Grape Vines and plenty of Firecrest on the path back to the road.
We had planned to go to Albercutz Tower tomorrow but on checking out the weather the Northerly winds are back and due to gust over 50 mph so it's looking like another visit to Albufera which suites me just fine.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob
Sounds like a nice day, well done.
I read the account of the young woman you encountered yesterday in the paper this morning as best I could.
She is British, 39 and had a broken femur. Her condition was described as grave. She maintained consciousness throughout the rescue but I didn’t understand the last bit. Criminal investigation was mentioned but this may just be routine.
I went to the salt pans at Sant Jordi but no sign of the two Slender-billed gulls. Lots of Barn swallow going through in the south.
Mika found a Little crake at Binissalem, a national rarity.
A Great Bittern has been seen in Menorca. I have never seen one in Mallorca and I don’t know anyone who has sighted one in the last few years. It’s baffling with all the suitable habitat that Mallorca offers.
Mike

Finally we have been at Depuradora of Binissalem today and we have seen at least 1 little crake and 2 spotted crake.
It is a pitty this place is closed to open acces.

Attachments

• 131 Rascleto.jpg
    131 Rascleto.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • 132 RascletPintat.jpg
    132 RascletPintat.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
A Great Bittern has been seen in Menorca. I have never seen one in Mallorca and I don’t know anyone who has sighted one in the last few years. It’s baffling with all the suitable habitat that Mallorca offers.
Mike

Wasn't one seen by Maties a few years ago. First at s'Albufereta and then at s'Albufera. I used to hear them in s'Albufera many years ago but none recently.

Mike thanks for update on girl hope she pulls through,very surprised to hear that she was British though.
As planned we spent most of day at S,Albufera but due to strong winds most of the birds were literally lying Low.
First Little Stint of the trip was to the far right of the Sa Roca hide but never ventured much closer.
Lone Spoonbill flew in at about 11 am and landed on Island of Sa Roca where it instantly went to sleep,it was still resting when we checked on leaving around 1500 hrs.
Great views of a Weasel running around peoples feet on the middle bridge today,I don't think anyone spotted it as they were too busy looking elsewhere,it ended up jumping up onto the wall and running the whole length of the bridge before disappearing.
Popped into Tucan ponds on way home as large flocks of hirundines were seen in the air.
House Martin,Sand Martin,Pallid Swift,Common Swift,Swallow and Crag Martin were all out feeding in good numbers and skimming our heads at the end of the track,large numbers of ducks and a few Little Grebes also present.
Forgot to add yesterday's sighting of a fine plumaged Male Redstart at the Morticx Refuge as we sat at picnic table.
Good to see Spotted And Little Crake turning up on the Island,we had a nice Spotted from Bishop 2 hide last year.
I have only ever spotted one Bittern at S,Albufera and that was in 2014 from the Main middle Bridge of the three,it was in flight at the time.
I also remember a German guy showing me some Super photos of a Bittern which he took from the decking on the Es Ras Track but unsure of the year.
Wind due to drop off a tad tomorrow but no plans as yet to where we will be heading.
Some nice Wine from yesterday's visit to Morticx wine shop to drink tonight so just take tomorrow as it comes me thinks.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Martin.
Yes, I remember hearing them booming too, it was probably the late 80’s.
I think Maties did see one but I thought it was quite a few years ago. I’m not certain though.
I wonder if you have seen this article in the Euro Weekly News, out today.
Not sure about it’s accuracy though because I remember you writing about it.
I hope you have got over your birthday blues!
Mike

Attachments

• DDE08F8B-2FEA-44D6-BA45-AB7CA7E81B7C.jpg
    DDE08F8B-2FEA-44D6-BA45-AB7CA7E81B7C.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 70
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back