• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

Chas 100

I am planning a short trip under the Chunnel next week to look for Black Woodpecker. Has anyone got any relatively recent information that could be helpful? I am looking for sites within an hour or so of Calais. Thanks in anticipation. Charlie

I am planning a short trip under the Chunnel next week to look for Black Woodpecker. Has anyone got any relatively recent information that could be helpful? I am looking for sites within an hour or so of Calais. Thanks in anticipation. Charlie

When I first did it, peopel went to the forests around Fontainbleu.

I've never been birding in this area of France but I checked e-bird data around Calais for Black Woodpecker and it seems that some are regularly seen at Parc du Marquenterre (roughly an hour drive from Calais). I found an annual report from the Parc itself mentioning that they were staying "around the heronry".
Nord-Pas de Calais is probably not the best area to find a BW...They are pretty common in Brittany, further south, but I assume this would be a bit of a long drive for you.
Hope this helps !

Thanks

I have seen the Black Woodpecker many times at Marquenterre, not far from the car park.

best regards Merlin
This is very good for us, I really appreciate it thank you. As we won't have too much time, is there more than one car park there, will we find the carpark easily?

The car park stretches through the dunes, I have seen them at the visitor centre end of the car park and from the path when you are walking out of the reserve and walking back to the car park, but not far from the visitor centre / shop.

regards

Merlin

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back