• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Help - Sunbird (Mumbo Island, Lake Malawi) (1 Viewer)

Cobalt

Hi everyone,

I saw these lovely sunbirds on Mumbo Island at the southern end of Lake Malawi in earlier this month. My best guess is the bronze sunbird, but they don't seem to have the extra long tail feathers. Apologies for the bad photos, they were quite far away.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Attachments

• sunbirds id edited.jpg
    sunbirds id edited.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 11
  • sunbird f edited MI.JPG
    sunbird f edited MI.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Sunbird MI edit.jpg
    Sunbird MI edit.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I think the Sunbirds are Copper / Coppery Sunbird.
Thank you so much Andy, you know your stuff.

I found another female sunbird that I took on the Zambezi river near the Kafue in Zambia. Females are near impossible for me to identify but I think it could be White-bellied or Miombo double-collared. Any thoughts?

Thank you :)

Attachments

• Sunbird Z.JPG
    Sunbird Z.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 10
Thank you so much Andy, you know your stuff.

I found another female sunbird that I took on the Zambezi river near the Kafue in Zambia. Females are near impossible for me to identify but I think it could be White-bellied or Miombo double-collared. Any thoughts?

Thank you :)

I'd rule out Miombo on the white undertail but White-bellied looks ok.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back