• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photographing Red Kites (1 Viewer)

HI, I went to Gigrin last winter, I waited for the snow, I chose the newest hide which is obviously the dearest, as well as being the highest. if my memory serves me well, it was about £15. The top level is fully open from about 4ft high. with a small covered section behind you to store your rucksack etc. I wanted to photograph in the snow for the reflection of light under their wings. Its a fair old trip from Hampshire so waited for the right conditions. Get there about an hour early and you will see them coming in for miles. The biggest problem is which kite to photograph. try to keep a level head and try to follow one around. hope this helps. I used a sigma 150-500 but a 400 will be ok. they are very close. mike

Last edited:
I have been to Gigrin Farm, though I normally go to Llandeusant (bit further for you) as it's cheaper and closer for me. I use a 1 series Canon + a 300 F4 IS. I have also used the 100-400 and 70-200 F2.8 IS with success. I would suggest you take both your 50D & 7D + 100-400 + 400 F5.6. You should have everything covered with these two lenses, you will find the 400 a bit long at times so have the 100-400 in reserve.
Good luck!

Thanks very much for your advice. It looks like my 500 lens will be too big in this situation. Will take the 100-400 and the 400 prime.

Personally I would take the 500mm too Vernon.The walk from the car to the hides isnt that far and you very often get birds on the ground that can be some distance from the hides.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back