• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift 8.5x44mm BWCF Audubon (1 Viewer)

Thanks Ed and Arthur.
I read post 17 and a few further posts that were in the Audubon thread.

I have the 8x30 E11 and 8x32 SE, but it is the 8.5x44 HR/5 that sits on my desk for instant use together with a Leica 8x32 BA.
The Leica 8x32 BA is superior for me to a Conquest 8x32 HD because the Leica is so well shielded for flare and ghosting and can be used in any situation. The HR/5 is not so good for flare or ghosting.

What I don't understand is the praise for the SE. It is excellent but the 10x42 SE is no better than the 10x42 Conquest HD when using a 6.0 degree field regarding edge performance. Star images are just as good in the Conquest HD using a 6.0 degree field, and it goes out to 6.55 degrees with more errors.

In addition, I don't like the SEs because of blackouts. I do keep them because they do have fine star images to compare with other binoculars. They perform so well because the field size is limited.

Thanks Ed / Arthur,
I love those old swifts, although for some reason I find the image in my HR Gold band Audubon more pleasing than the HR5, but I cant put my finger on why..

Binastro, how do you find the Nikon E11 ? I think it is the best 8x30 porro I have, including my Swaro Habicht, and easier viewing than the SE. Its the big FOV and good colors on the E11 I think, that makes it so pleasing.

I have the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 ED model 820, which I purchased not long after the ED version came out. Just when that was -- I do not remember. Was it 2008? 2010? or later. Can someone suggest the year the 820 ED hit the market. I really would like to know.

I do remember struggling with the large eyecups for a while. But I got used to them and today appreciate their design.

Crusty.

Hi Ben,
I like the E II 8x30 and 10x35 a lot, but just a matter of choice that I have the HR/5 8.5x44 and Leica BA on my desk. I suppose the Porros are that much bigger or wider.
In some way also I am not worried about leaving the HR/5 and 8x32 BA on the desk unprotected, where I would be more careful with the E IIs. Probably a personal thing.
I tend not to leave the better stuff outside their cases unprotected.
There are no cats to knock them off, although squirrels do get in and pinch the nuts. I don't suppose squirrels fancy binoculars.

In severe light pollution the E IIs are a bit small in aperture, although so is the 8x32 BA.

What is strange is that my selected Russian 12x45 Porro clearly outresolves the Nikon 10x35 E II. The Russian binocular is longer and superbly balanced and of course 12x not 10x.

I have the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 ED model 820, which I purchased not long after the ED version came out. Just when that was -- I do not remember. Was it 2008? 2010? or later. Can someone suggest the year the 820 ED hit the market. I really would like to know.

I do remember struggling with the large eyecups for a while. But I got used to them and today appreciate their design.

Crusty.

As stated in their 75th-anniversary catalog, the Swift 820 and 820ED were first introduced in 2000. You can tell by the first two digits of the serial number what year yours was manufactured.

Ed

Thanks Ed / Arthur,
I love those old swifts, although for some reason I find the image in my HR Gold band Audubon more pleasing than the HR5, but I cant put my finger on why..

Actually, my favorite 804 Audubon is the first one produced by Tamron in 1958, which we call Type-Oa. Go figure. ;)

Ed

Hi Binastro,
I sold my HR5 some time ago, I regret it now, it was mint, but I never used it, I always went for the slightly older HR Audubon. Should have kept it, as they say "it wasnt eating anything" . I understand about being careful of the good stuff, I tend to be a bit like that, an old Bushnell custom and a rubber armour US military bin are my " leave lying around" ones. My E11always goes back in its box.. I have heard that the Russian 12x45 is very good, I think Simon gave them a good write up. I have been keeping one eye out for a decent one, but unexpectedly, I picked up a Zeiss 12x50B Dodecarem a few days ago, sounds like the glass/optics are good, just some wear on the paintwork. I'm awaiting delivery. I have the DDR Octarem 8x50B a lucky find about 2 years back and I am pretty impressed with that, hoping the Dodecarem is on par.

As stated in their 75th-anniversary catalog, the Swift 820 and 820ED were first introduced in 2000. You can tell by the first two digits of the serial number what year yours was manufactured.

Ed

Thanks for date of the introduction of the 820ED.

The number on the tripod adapter receptacle appears to be 3121?8.

Is this enough to tell the manufacture date?

Crusty

/

Let me see if I can answer my own question.

I went through my notebooks and noticed I used my Swift Audibon 820ED 8.5x44 binocular on 12 February 2009. This observation appeared in my entry on Vol. 1, pages 2-4 -- the first notebook still on my shelf. Two days after this entry, I recorded that I purchased a Leica EZ4 Zoom Stereo Microscope (8X-35X).

On the date of the entry (12 Feb 2009) I used eight pairs of binoculars in a field comparison.

• Swift Audibon 820ED 8.5x44
  • Nikon SE 8x32
  • Minox HG BR 8x33
  • Leupold Katmai 6x32
  • Fujinon FMT-SX 7x50
  • Pentax DCF ED 10x50
  • Nikon SE 12x50
  • Fujinon FMT-SX 16x70

The Swift Audubon was my first optic purchase, which began my optics buying spree -- a new optic every six months -- and still continues.

Doing the math, I must have purchased the Swift Audubon sometime in the year 2004. So there, I did answer my own question.

My O My -- how time flies by -- when I amuse myself with the optics hobby.

Last edited:
Thanks for date of the introduction of the 820ED.

The number on the tripod adapter receptacle appears to be 3121?8.

Is this enough to tell the manufacture date?

Crusty

/

Sorry not to respond sooner. Your s/n seems odd, and mine (#207148) does too. Unless I'm missing something, it appears that the first two digits don't represent the manufacturing date for the 820 series as they did for the 804 series. Too bad about that. :-C

Ed

13 Sunday May 2018 11:45 pm

Getting ready to go out and observe Jupiter with some old friends.
  • Swift Audubon 820ED 8.5x44 binoculars
  • Kowa TSN-660 spotting scope, 20X, 30X, 45X
  • Observing chair
  • Notebook and pen

Hi Crusty,
How many belts were visible on Jupiter?

I would think that a 70x eyepiece would be useful on the 660 to show detail.

Binastro...

I saw two belts at 30X and 45X with the Kowa TSN-660 spotting scope.

And yes, more detail of Jupiter shows up in the 70X to 160X range.

I get this with my astronomy scopes and binoviewer.

• William Optics Gran Turismo 102 refractor (4-inch).
  • Celestron C6 SCT (6-inch).
  • Discover PDHG Dob (15-inch).
  • Televue Binoviewer.
  • Pentax XW eyepiece series.

But, I do like the simplicity of the Swift Audubon 820ED 8.5x44 binoculars and Kowa TSN-660 spotting scope.

How about you -- what do you use to observe Jupiter at this time?

Hi Crusty,
I have sold or donated my 20.5inch f/3.9, 14.25 inch f/5, 10inch f/6, and 8.5inch f/6 Newtonians.
I gave the 12.5inch f/3.5-14.7 Dall Kirkham custom windowed thin edge mirror telescope back to the maker.
I cannot use large scopes now.

I observe Jupiter's moons with Canon 18x50 IS, and sometimes a small refractor or 6inch Maksutov.

I mainly observe the Sun with a PST at 32x.
Or binocular astronomy.
Including the Swift 8.5x44 HR/5, which is always ready for use.

Last edited:
This morning at 02.21 a.m. BST I saw the ISS very bright and white in Swift 8.5x44 HR/5.
Followed till 02.25.20 BST

It was magnitude minus 4, almost as bright as a bright Venus and about 4 times brighter than Jupiter.

Also saw Jupiter's moons, but better in the Canon 18x50 IS at 03.03 BST. 4 moons correctly identified with Callisto far to the right at elongation and near Jupiter opposition. Jupiter magnitude minus 2.5.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back