Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Opticron DBA VHD 8x42 Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 19th January 2016, 16:52   #26
Jinty85

Thank you David. Most helpful and interesting
Old Saturday 19th March 2016, 11:04   #27
mulligatawny owl

Just a few thoughts on the VHD 8x42's.

After having said in the Viking EDFF thread that those bins and these were pretty much on par I feel I must revise that opinion a little.
I've spent quite a bit of time with both and feel the VHD definitely has the edge in pure optical performance.

Once you adjust to the smaller FOV of the VHD's it becomes apparent how good these bins are. Where I felt the EDFF lacked a little sparkle compared to the very best these VHD's really shine, I agree with Frank,they are really bright! In comparing them directly to my SE 8x32 in daylight they are one of the few bins that make the Nikons seem a little dim for a few moments untill the eye adjusts.
The VHD's have a lovely crispness to the view that is quite addictive.

Anyone looking for upper midrange bins like the Conquest HD really needs to try these out.

Last edited by mulligatawny owl : Saturday 19th March 2016 at 11:06.
Old Saturday 2nd June 2018, 08:17   #28
Ravis

How much of an improvement is the new VHD DBA Plus?
Old Sunday 3rd June 2018, 14:36   #29
mulligatawny owl

I believe it's just a slight coating upgrade, everything else remains the same. In theory they should be slightly brighter and sharper.
Already really great bins to my eyes so any improvement is most welcome.
Old Sunday 3rd June 2018, 18:44   #30
Ravis

Thanks Owl. It's a pity that Opticron don't give you the opportunity to trade in your old DBA for the new one :)
You can get about 300 on eBay tho and some shops are selling them at around 430 now. The new (plus) ones are around 580.
Old Sunday 3rd June 2018, 19:12   #31
typo

Pete Gamby told me it was simply a coating upgrage. "You won't spot the difference!"

I've not had a chance yet to put him to the test.

David

Last edited by typo : Sunday 3rd June 2018 at 19:42.
Old Sunday 3rd June 2018, 20:33   #32
Ravis

Thanks David. I probably won't notice the difference in any case. Not many shops have the DBA+ yet.
Old Tuesday 5th June 2018, 10:01   #33
Chris Galvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravis View Post
Thanks David. I probably won't notice the difference in any case. Not many shops have the DBA+ yet.
Ravis,

All the retailers that ordered them now have them in stock. Have a look at the Opticron DBA Stockists dealer map to see if there is one close to you. Alternatively seek out an optics demo with an Opticron rep present

Stockists Map

With an LA18 postcode, you could either view them in Lamberts, now in Staveley, Kendal, or In Focus at Martin Mere which are the two nearest retailers to you.

Typo, I think you will notice the difference, and this is certainly the feedback that I am noting from the retailers who have sold them and re-ordered.

Last edited by Chris Galvin : Tuesday 5th June 2018 at 10:10.
Old Tuesday 5th June 2018, 18:28   #34
typo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Galvin View Post

Typo, I think you will notice the difference, and this is certainly the feedback that I am noting from the retailers who have sold them and re-ordered.
Sounds like it's too late to find out.

David
Old Wednesday 6th June 2018, 18:41   #35
Ravis

Thanks, the two shops I know won't get them until somebody orders them. I could phone a few others nearby. I don't like ordering and then finding they are not quite right when I try them out, not to mention that it might not be worth paying the extra hundred or so pounds more especially if I can't tell the difference. So hopefully I'll be able to go to a demo to try them out. A good demo should have the old one too, in order to compare.
Old Wednesday 6th June 2018, 18:49   #36
Ravis

Ye, it looks like my best chance is with Martin Mere near Southport. It's probably worth a trip anyway, excellent birding area. My regular itinerary is the A6 area. I don't mind going to Kendal, but Stavely's a bit further up. I could go and then on to Winderemere. I thought the camera shop up there that had the new one (dba+) was in Kendal?

Last edited by Ravis : Wednesday 6th June 2018 at 18:52.
Old Friday 8th June 2018, 20:07   #37
Chris Galvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravis View Post
Ye, it looks like my best chance is with Martin Mere near Southport. It's probably worth a trip anyway, excellent birding area. My regular itinerary is the A6 area. I don't mind going to Kendal, but Stavely's a bit further up. I could go and then on to Winderemere. I thought the camera shop up there that had the new one (dba+) was in Kendal?
Lamberts in Staveley has them in stock
Old Friday 8th June 2018, 20:30   #38
Ravis

Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Galvin View Post
Lamberts in Staveley has them in stock
Ye, I thought so. Is there another different shop in Kendal or is that it? Thanks.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: