• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reporting parrot mistreatment in Netherlands!!! (1 Viewer)

nata-n6

Hi All,
I'm writing to you asking for an advice in rather urgent matter. Today I've been on a trip to one of the cities in Netherlands and in one of the shops (excuse the repetition) I spotted Amazon parrot and African grey both housed together in a same cage. After looking closer at them I've noticed that they both have scissor beaks and african grey started plucking. From what I saw in their food dishes they seem to be on a seed based diet and from what I know about both of those species neither their living conditions nor the food they were provided is appropriate for them.

I've left the store deciding not to confront the owners because 1. My dutch is very limited 2. It was a busy day and I felt a bit too intimidated to start lecturing shop owners about animal welfare.

Nothenless, I feel really bad for the birds and feel like I should contact someone that would be able to help. The problem is that I've only lived here for 6 months and have no clue about who to call is such situation.

Would be very grateful for any advice on the matter as I would really want to help those birds have a better life.

Thank you for all your help!
Cheers

Can you google a humane society in your area that might look into this? Other than that, I'm not sure what to suggest. Hopefully someone from your whereabouts may have some answers for you.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We’re glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Thanks a lot! I did a bit of googling and it seems like there is an emergency nb for animal police department and some other organisations. But organisations seem to mostly mention dogs or farm animals and calling an emergency police nb seems to be a very radical move. So I was hoping there is a good middle solution. The owners seemed to interact with parrots in very friendly manner so I hope it's more of them being unconscious of their mistreatment rather than malice.

Anyways much thanks for your advice!!

A call to them (police nb) asking them which dept you can speak to about the parrots possibly ?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back